best wi-fi port for compaq presario 2100

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 26, 2005 7:13:11 PM

I have a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop computer. It is approx 1 1/2
years old. It does not come with an installed Wi-Fi port.

In order to obtain Wi Fi ability I apparrently have a choice:

Installing a USB wi-fi device into the computer's USB port

OR

Installing a Wireless Network PC Card in the PCMCIA slot on the
computer.

Are there pros and cons as to which port device I should choose?

best, Aaron
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 26, 2005 9:03:47 PM

aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
> I have a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop computer. It is approx 1 1/2
> years old. It does not come with an installed Wi-Fi port.
>
> In order to obtain Wi Fi ability I apparrently have a choice:
>
> Installing a USB wi-fi device into the computer's USB port
>

> OR
>
> Installing a Wireless Network PC Card in the PCMCIA slot on the
> computer.
>
> Are there pros and cons as to which port device I should choose?
>
> best, Aaron

I have always advocated the PC Card since USB seemed to have problems.
Now, I still advocate the card, but in the event that you need better
signal, USB or signal extenders with card are solutions. Some homes
seem to be more radio opaque than others.

Vendors are selling out of the basic -g routers and cards and there are
some very good buys, depending on the store. Linksys, Netgear, Belkin,
but not DLink (IMO, based on reports of pernicious problems with
their -g routers). If you want WPA security, be sure to read the fine
print on whatever you buy so that all devices support it; WEP is no
probem.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2005 9:26:37 AM

I have been using a USB wi-fi card for about a year now, and have never
had any problems with it. I would strongly recommend it, specially if
size matters. It fits in perfect, and best of all it's not delicate
like the PCMCIA cards. Hope this helps.
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2005 12:55:58 PM

I have the same machine, I got a mini PCI wireless card from HP only to find
out that if you do not order the unit with wifi they do not put the antenna in!
Want to buy a mini PCI wifi card cheap?! :-(

Tim Lange
West Lafayette, IN USA
(Go Boilers!)

aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
> I have a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop computer. It is approx 1 1/2
> years old. It does not come with an installed Wi-Fi port.
>
> In order to obtain Wi Fi ability I apparrently have a choice:
>
> Installing a USB wi-fi device into the computer's USB port
>

> OR
>
> Installing a Wireless Network PC Card in the PCMCIA slot on the
> computer.
>
> Are there pros and cons as to which port device I should choose?
>
> best, Aaron

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2005 11:52:38 AM

Thank's to all who replied to my post! After reading them I purchased
for $12.99 a PCMCIA wireless card from Fry's for $12.99. Best, Aaron
!