Finepix S5000 - Stripped tripod thread - Please help

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 11, 2005 8:18:16 PM

Hi all,
I managed to strip the thread for mounting my FinePix S5000 on a tripod. Any
advice about what to do?

Fuji say they can repair it but will not give me a quote until they see the
camera.
Anyone any idea of the cost for this repair?

Can I source/fit the parts myself? Is this advisable. (Will I end up with a
pile of bits that I have no chance of putting back together?)

Any experiences welcome.

Ta BillyB
(I'm in Bristol in the UK)
www.places2visit.co.uk
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 8:18:17 PM

Bill,
Just found this cool site for Fuji Digital cams
there's a take apart for the 6900Z:
http://www.camerashed.co.uk/project12.asp
Here's a forum where they talk about the service manual for the S5000
but I dead ended when I tried to follow it. Perhaps you could contact
one of the guys here who had it.
http://www.camerashed.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39
Look carefully at the 6900 take apart. It depends on how bad your plate
is stripped. Dunno about Fuji parts unless you know a tech. I've bought
salvage cameras online for parts.
If you feel confident after looking at all this you might be able to
disassemble the camera , pull out the tripod plate and rebuild it.
Richard
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 8:18:17 PM

> I managed to strip the thread for mounting my FinePix S5000 on a tripod.
Any
> advice about what to do?
>
> Fuji say they can repair it but will not give me a quote until they see
the
> camera.
> Anyone any idea of the cost for this repair?
>
> Can I source/fit the parts myself? Is this advisable. (Will I end up with
> pile of bits that I have no chance of putting back together?)

If you can't, you can always get a bit more creative. Drip in a little
bit of reinforced epoxy and brush to coat the sides and what's left of the
threads, coat the proper-sized bolt with some release, thread it in, wait
for it to cure, free the bolt, and remove. Some good epoxy and a bottle of
milled fiberglass wouldn't set you back more than about $15 at a hobby
store, and the bolt probably wouldn't be more than a dollar.

To be a bit more precise, you could coat the sides with reinforced epoxy
and use a thread-cutter to follow what's left of the existing threads, but
finding a blunt-ended thread-cutter might be difficult. Epoxy reinforced
with milled fiberglass is incredibly strong stuff, FAR stronger than the
original plastic.

steve
March 11, 2005 10:57:39 PM

"spudnuty" <spudnuty@lycos.com> wrote in message
> Bill,
> Just found this cool site for Fuji Digital cams
> there's a take apart for the 6900Z:
> http://www.camerashed.co.uk/project12.asp
> Here's a forum where they talk about the service manual for the S5000
> but I dead ended when I tried to follow it. Perhaps you could contact
> one of the guys here who had it.
> http://www.camerashed.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39
> Look carefully at the 6900 take apart. It depends on how bad your plate
> is stripped. Dunno about Fuji parts unless you know a tech. I've bought
> salvage cameras online for parts.
> If you feel confident after looking at all this you might be able to
> disassemble the camera , pull out the tripod plate and rebuild it.
> Richard

Stripped treads can be cured whit "helicoil treads"

http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/Sav-A-Thread---...
(this is for automotive sparkpluggs)

.... If there is enough plastik left for a new tread for the helicoil.

AP
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:16:53 PM

"A.P." <nobody@telenor.invalid> wrote in message

> "spudnuty" <spudnuty@lycos.com> wrote in message
> > Bill,
> > Just found this cool site for Fuji Digital cams
> > there's a take apart for the 6900Z:
> > http://www.camerashed.co.uk/project12.asp
> > Here's a forum where they talk about the service manual for the S5000
> > but I dead ended when I tried to follow it. Perhaps you could contact
> > one of the guys here who had it.
> > http://www.camerashed.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39
> > Look carefully at the 6900 take apart. It depends on how bad your plate
> > is stripped. Dunno about Fuji parts unless you know a tech. I've bought
> > salvage cameras online for parts.
> > If you feel confident after looking at all this you might be able to
> > disassemble the camera , pull out the tripod plate and rebuild it.
> > Richard
> >
> Stripped treads can be cured whit "helicoil treads"
>
> http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/Sav-A-Thread---...
> (this is for automotive sparkpluggs)
>
> ... If there is enough plastik left for a new tread for the helicoil.
>
> AP

.... I have taken a look at the Service Manual for S5000 and it looks like
the tripodmount is in a large plasitcpart called "battery-holder" .
To me it may looks safe to dissmatle the s5000 in order to free the
"battery-holder" in order to machine new treads.
( What may NOT be safe is to remove CCD card from lens, that may call
for re-calibration ?! )
If you cant find the s5000 service manual, leave an email addr here and ill
sendt it to you ( 3.7 MB PDF file )

AP
March 11, 2005 11:16:54 PM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:16:53 -0800, A.P. wrote
(in article <4231f04e$1@news.broadpark.no>):

> If you cant find the s5000 service manual, leave an email addr here and ill
> sendt it to you ( 3.7 MB PDF file )

AP,
A copy of the manual, please?

dave-usenet.at.mailblocks.dot.com

Is there a source on the 'net for digicam service manuals?

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
March 11, 2005 11:16:55 PM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:33:14 -0800, DaveC wrote
(in article <0001HW.BE5794EA002480A0F04075B0@news.individual.net>):

> A copy of the manual, please?

Correction:

dave-usenet1.at.mailblocks.dot.com

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 2:16:41 AM

In article <39edhiF62r00hU1@individual.net>, Steve Wolfe <unt@codon.com>
writes
>> I managed to strip the thread for mounting my FinePix S5000 on a tripod.
>Any
>> advice about what to do?
>>
>> Fuji say they can repair it but will not give me a quote until they see
>the
>> camera.
>> Anyone any idea of the cost for this repair?
>>
>> Can I source/fit the parts myself? Is this advisable. (Will I end up with
>> pile of bits that I have no chance of putting back together?)
>
> If you can't, you can always get a bit more creative. Drip in a little
>bit of reinforced epoxy and brush to coat the sides and what's left of the
>threads, coat the proper-sized bolt with some release, thread it in, wait
>for it to cure, free the bolt, and remove. Some good epoxy and a bottle of
>milled fiberglass wouldn't set you back more than about $15 at a hobby
>store, and the bolt probably wouldn't be more than a dollar.
>
> To be a bit more precise, you could coat the sides with reinforced epoxy
>and use a thread-cutter to follow what's left of the existing threads, but
>finding a blunt-ended thread-cutter might be difficult. Epoxy reinforced
>with milled fiberglass is incredibly strong stuff, FAR stronger than the
>original plastic.

I'd go for the second idea - you would have a massive problem if the
bolt would not release using the first method.

Make sure the resin is truly hard before you tap it. Also, treat the
camera gently when you use it on a tripod, though it should be safe
enough. You may want to do a trial run on a hole in a piece of scrap
plastic or hard wood. If the resin doesn't tap cleanly in your test, you
may want to consider the helicoil idea mentioned by another poster.

The "thread cutter" you need is called (in the UK at least) a "tap".
These come in 3 forms, taper, second and bottom or bottoming (the latter
is sometimes called "plug". You need a bottom tap to get the thread cut
all the way to the, er, bottom of the hole (even then there will be 2-3
mm of taper - but don't worry, the original hole almost certainly had
this as well, and the tripod bolt will have a taper on the end to
accommodate it).

Be aware, though, that starting a tap cutting true in a hole is not
easy. It is best if you can hold it in a drill stand, with the camera
held truly vertical (in both planes - use some firm padding in a vice to
ensure it stays vertical but also to avoid damage), turning the drill
chuck by hand as you feed it down.

Virtually all cameras* use a thread known as 1/4" BSW (British Standard
Whitworth), so that's the tap to ask for - a 1/4" BSW bottom(ing) tap.
They come in carbon steel or high speed steel. The latter cost 3x as
much but last 10x longer in cutting steel; for one off use in reinforced
resin it won't matter.

(The US guys may tell you the thread is 1/4 - 20 UNC. It isn't, at least
not in Europe, but the two are so similar they are interchangeable for
uses such as this - just slight differences in thread form you'd need a
microscope to detect.)

*Some large format camera use 3/8" BSW. If you have any doubt, take your
tripod bolt with you.

Best of luck!

Regards,

David
--
David Littlewood
Anonymous

> I'd go for the second idea - you would have a massive problem if the
> bolt would not release using the first method.

That's why you coat it with release agent first. The kind you use to keep
epoxy from sticking to things even when it's under a good deal of pressure
in a vacuum-forming system. : ) But, if the person can readily find a
bottom-tap, it would be preferable to using a bolt!

> You need a bottom tap to get the thread cut
> all the way to the, er, bottom of the hole (even then there will be 2-3
> mm of taper - but don't worry, the original hole almost certainly had
> this as well, and the tripod bolt will have a taper on the end to
> accommodate it).

Are you positive? My tripod head and the mount in my camera don't appear
to have any taper - at least not any easily-visible taper. There could be
0.2mm or so, but certainly not 2-3mm of taper.

steve
March 12, 2005 4:45:02 AM

"BillyB" <news@places2visit.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 0sjsq$1sd$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> Hi all,
> I managed to strip the thread for mounting my FinePix S5000 on a tripod.
> Any advice about what to do?
>
> Fuji say they can repair it but will not give me a quote until they see
> the camera.
> Anyone any idea of the cost for this repair?
>
> Can I source/fit the parts myself? Is this advisable. (Will I end up with
> a pile of bits that I have no chance of putting back together?)
>
> Any experiences welcome.
>
> Ta BillyB
> (I'm in Bristol in the UK)
> www.places2visit.co.uk

Hi there

Another and perhaps easier way, would be to get one of the wide based,
milled edge, screws used to fasten old leather cases onto camera bodies, or
the similar screw used to fix Flash Brackets onto camera bases. These often
have a matching threaded hole on their base. But do check that your Tripod
screw fits into it securely first.

Just Araldite it into the stripped hole, and you will be able to screw your
tripod into it.

The only disadvantage is that your camera won't now have a flat base.

Before doing this, ask for an estimate from your local camera repairer. I
am fairly sure there is, or used to be, one in Bristol.

Regards,

Roy G.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:47:56 AM

http://buyporters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PRO...

or if that is broken across lines

http://tinyurl.com/6fopl

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 01:45:02 GMT, "Roy"
<royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote:

>"BillyB" <news@places2visit.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:D 0sjsq$1sd$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
>> Hi all,
>> I managed to strip the thread for mounting my FinePix S5000 on a tripod.
>> Any advice about what to do?
>>
>> Fuji say they can repair it but will not give me a quote until they see
>> the camera.
>> Anyone any idea of the cost for this repair?
>>
>> Can I source/fit the parts myself? Is this advisable. (Will I end up with
>> a pile of bits that I have no chance of putting back together?)
>>
>> Any experiences welcome.
>>
>> Ta BillyB
>> (I'm in Bristol in the UK)
>> www.places2visit.co.uk
>
>Hi there
>
>Another and perhaps easier way, would be to get one of the wide based,
>milled edge, screws used to fasten old leather cases onto camera bodies, or
>the similar screw used to fix Flash Brackets onto camera bases. These often
>have a matching threaded hole on their base. But do check that your Tripod
>screw fits into it securely first.
>
>Just Araldite it into the stripped hole, and you will be able to screw your
>tripod into it.
>
>The only disadvantage is that your camera won't now have a flat base.
>
>Before doing this, ask for an estimate from your local camera repairer. I
>am fairly sure there is, or used to be, one in Bristol.
>
>Regards,
>
>Roy G.

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 8:29:49 PM

In article <577631ptnnh21gsli4umn1uqr67rmo0frq@4ax.com>, Nanook of the
North <iwontreply@anotherdayinparadise.com> writes

>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 01:45:02 GMT, "Roy"
><royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hi there
>>
>>Another and perhaps easier way, would be to get one of the wide based,
>>milled edge, screws used to fasten old leather cases onto camera bodies, or
>>the similar screw used to fix Flash Brackets onto camera bases. These often
>>have a matching threaded hole on their base. But do check that your Tripod
>>screw fits into it securely first.
>>
>>Just Araldite it into the stripped hole, and you will be able to screw your
>>tripod into it.
>>
>>The only disadvantage is that your camera won't now have a flat base.
>>
>>Before doing this, ask for an estimate from your local camera repairer. I
>>am fairly sure there is, or used to be, one in Bristol.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Roy G.
>>

>http://buyporters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PRO...
>Product_Code=10-0766&Product_Count=&Category_Code=
>
>or if that is broken across lines
>
>http://tinyurl.com/6fopl

There is no indication on this web page that the screw offered has a
female thread on its underside. If it does not, then it is of no use to
the OP.

David
--
David Littlewood
Anonymous

Ok, I admit, I chickened out.
Apparently its still under guarantee and so ive packed it up and sent it
back to Fuji.
Ill let you know how I get on. They claim to have a free evaluation service.
If the problem is not covered by guarantee they will contact me with a
price.

Many thanks for all the info.

Billy B.

PS Not sure how I am going to survive without my camera. I will have to go
back to my A120 for a bit.

"BillyB" <news@places2visit.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 0sjsq$1sd$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> Hi all,
> I managed to strip the thread for mounting my FinePix S5000 on a tripod.
> Any advice about what to do?
>
> Fuji say they can repair it but will not give me a quote until they see
> the camera.
> Anyone any idea of the cost for this repair?
>
> Can I source/fit the parts myself? Is this advisable. (Will I end up with
> a pile of bits that I have no chance of putting back together?)
>
> Any experiences welcome.
>
> Ta BillyB
> (I'm in Bristol in the UK)
> www.places2visit.co.uk

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:57:55 PM

Its back already!

Very fast service from Fuji here in the UK.
They replaced the "Battery Holder assembly"

Ta all.

news:D 19674$ckq$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...

!