Computer shutting down?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Computers
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 1, 2011 11:44:58 PM

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help me? First off, my system specs...
i7-2600K (stock)
Gtx 580
64 gb SSD boot drive
500 GB secondary drive
Bluray and DVD-R drive
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P motherboard
HX1000 power supply
16 gb G-SKill 1600 Ram

Here is the problem..My computer has been running well ever since I built it about a month and a half ago, but just yesterday, while I was playing the Battlefield 3 beta, my computer randomly shutdown. I tried to turn it back on, but it would not boot back up. Oddly enough though, after it shut down, all of my case fans, gpu fan, and cold cathode lights came back on but the CPU fan and power supply fan were not running. It would not boot back up for about 15-20 mins. and then it started up again. It ran for about 5 mins and then shut down again. This morning, i started it up, and it ran for about 15 mins while playing Battlefield 3, but then shut off. I have monitored my CPU temps and GPU temps carefully and have never seen it overheat before even though I was not monitoring it last night. Please help!

More about : computer shutting

a c 162 ) Power supply
October 3, 2011 3:26:09 AM

Pae929 said:
Hi,

i7-2600K (stock)
Gtx 580
64 gb SSD boot drive
500 GB secondary drive
Bluray and DVD-R drive
HX1000 power supply
16 gb G-SKill 1600 Ram

Here is the problem..My computer has been running well ever since I built it about a month and a half ago, but just yesterday, while I was playing the Battlefield 3 beta, my computer randomly shutdown. I tried to turn it back on, but it would not boot back up. Oddly enough though, after it shut down, all of my case fans, gpu fan, and cold cathode lights came back on but the CPU fan and power supply fan were not running. It would not boot back up for about 15-20 mins. and then it started up again. It ran for about 5 mins and then shut down again. This morning, i started it up, and it ran for about 15 mins while playing Battlefield 3, but then shut off. I have monitored my CPU temps and GPU temps carefully and have never seen it overheat before even though I was not monitoring it last night. Please help!

Hmmm... hard to diagnose with out doing some troubleshooting. It appears the CPU power failed. The 4/8 pin cable from the PSU. Or a failure of the CPU itself. If you get a PSU tester, you can tell if it's the PSU or eleiminate that as the problem.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
(Don't get the cheapie)
m
l
October 3, 2011 6:22:12 PM

Thanks for the response, I can get one of those but first I'm going to check if my computer shuts down on the GS700 back up PSU I have. Do you think that will tell me if the other PSU is bad?
m
l
Related resources
a c 162 ) Power supply
October 3, 2011 6:51:53 PM

Pae929 said:
Thanks for the response, I can get one of those but first I'm going to check if my computer shuts down on the GS700 back up PSU I have. Do you think that will tell me if the other PSU is bad?

That would be helpful, yes. If all runs well with the 2nd PSU, it almost has to be the new PSU. Normally I would say that if the PSU fan stops working, and the PSU shuts down from heat build up, it would indicate a bad power supply. But lately I have seen some high performance PSUs with automatic fan controls that actually turn off the fan at low power draw. If yours doesn't have that feature though, it would indicate the PSU is at fault.
m
l
October 3, 2011 10:58:41 PM

I agree. BUt, the weird thing is that the fan is running the whole time my system is running, but when it shuts down, the PSU fan doesn't come back on and neither does the CPU fan, but everything else comes back on. I'll try that PSU as soon as I get a chance.
m
l
October 3, 2011 11:06:48 PM

I have a question that might seem weird, do you have BF3 installed into your SSD? I forgot but someone had their computer shutdown everything he played bf3 and he had it installed into his SSD, which is normally where the OS goes.
m
l
October 3, 2011 11:20:08 PM

No, I have it installed on my G drive which is where I keep my Steam games and everything.
m
l
October 16, 2011 7:31:11 AM

Pae929 said:
Hi,

i7-2600K (stock)
Gtx 580
64 gb SSD boot drive
500 GB secondary drive
Bluray and DVD-R drive
HX1000 power supply
16 gb G-SKill 1600 Ram

1st time posting but if your having a problem that I am having I hope to be of some help. I have literally done everything. I have replaced ram, drivers, gpu's, power supplys and run every test under the sun. To top it off I was having 2 issues that never happened in the 2 years this computer has been running.. 1st off my system specs are:

1 - i7 920 (running @ 4.2ghz) **
1 - Asus Matrix 580 GTX
24 GB - Corsair vengance PC1600
4 - 750 GB WD Black drives in raid 0
1 - LG 12X BLU RAY Burner
1 - Plextor 24X DVD Burner
Asus P6TD Deluxe Motherboard
Onboard Sound
Silverstone 850W Power Supply

** Now that I am having issues all clock speeds are at defaults.

As said before in 2 years my computer has been ROCK SOLID. I just recently replaced my raptor drives with the 4 750 gig drives and replaced my Asus ATI 5870 GPU. At that time I should of put the new gpu in and tested everything and made sure it worked but to see the new card at full potential (as I have been building / repairing computers for 20+ years) replacing motherboards or GPU you should always do a fresh install of windows when the chipsets are different.

I installed the new hardware and installed a clean new copy of windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. (same as before) from day one of the upgrade I had 2 new problems 1 was BSOD and the other was computer powering down as if you unplugged it. I would of pulled my hair out by now if I had any. I have been up for days troubleshooting and reading forums only to find people commenting the same stupid things that are 4. Oh its your power supply oh its your computer having dust blah blah. Well its not any of these things...

The BSOD was caused from one of my ram sticks decided to not like being OC'd (which before I had 3 X 2 GB Corsair Dominator) so that was replaced and no more BSOD's

The computer powering off was a true stickly but after 3000.00 + in video cards only to have the same problem over and over again... just want a great THANK YOU NVIDIA for you crap unstable drivers. Install the drivers that came with your card or off the manufactures website. I am willing to bet this is a start to fixing the problem. Here is my process of finding problem.

When playing BC2 or MOH 2010 after a couple rounds or less without fail computer would shut off. I downloaded "FURMARK & PRIME95"

Would load hardware monitor, CPU-Z & GPU-Z watch temps and double check voltages. I checked all voltages with an ammeter and hardware monitor was off a little not by much so the difference is respectable. With the tools running on my 2nd monitor I loaded FURMARK (not running the burn test yet just load it) then load PRIME95 and run it with default settings. Then hit the burn test on FURMARK. Without fail within 30 secs to 1.5 min (TOPS) computer would shut down. I watched the temps rise pretty rapid. the GPU settings were default in the GPU TWEAK that comes with asus cards (and it is downloadable on thier website also working with every card asus and non asus that I have tried). GPU fan stayed at 20% even at 70+ degrees Celsius with bumping to 27 28% by 80C the computer would crash. I tried putting the fan on 100% manual and the tests ran for about 10 mins but temps still jumped up high quickly. I pulled out the card and put an ATI 4950 in and the tests ran til complete. I was certain the problem was the 580 card and was ready to RMA it. I gave it one more try installed the 580 back in and did a clean install (removed all the old drivers with the custom option on driver install) but this time I installed the drivers that came with the video card and selected user define on the fan optiions and put at 30C fan to run 40% at 50C fans to run 60% and at 70C run at 100%. Rebooted one more time to make sure everything was installed correctly. I ran the prime95 and furmark again and it ran all the way through no problems at all.

I hope my book I just wrote will be of some use and can save others time and money.

-Raticus
m
l
!