Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Would this be a decent future proof rig to pick up?

Last response: in Systems
July 6, 2011 12:33:01 AM

Hey guys,

Someone wants to sell their home built desktop with some pretty decent specs IMO. Was looking into buying it, but I want to make sure I have a decent mainboard with enough options to upgrade in the future if need be. Hes looking for $850 for all the following. Let me know if it might be something worth picking up. I will mainly be using it for VFX work. Compositing etc and also some graphic intensive games (Crysis 2). I will be upgrading the RAM to 16GB, and I want to upgrade to an i7 as soon as I have the funds.

Processor:
Intel I5-750

Motherboard:
Asus P755D-E Pro

Graphics:
Asus ENGTX460 1GB

Memory:
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3

Hard Drive:
Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM 1TB

Power Supply:
Corsair 650TX 650W

CD/DVD Burner:
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner

CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Hyper 212

Case:
Antec 300 Illusion

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Accessories:

Keyboard:
Logitech Ultra Thin Illuminated Keyboard

Screen:
Asus ML238H 23" 1080P Led Backlit Screen

Mouse:
Logitech MX518

Mic:
Logitech USB Microphone

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2011 12:42:18 AM

If you want to upgrade to i7 second gen CPU, you need a new MoBo. Your best bet is to make your own system once you have enough money ($1000)
July 6, 2011 12:44:58 AM

The advantage to this system was that for $850 I get the LCD as well. How much could I better system for including a decent no fancy features 1080p 23" screen?
m
l
Related resources
July 6, 2011 12:56:32 AM

My budget would actually be around $850. I'm looking for a good i7 with solid processing power for speed when I need to render 1080p frames out of my compositing package, a good graphics card for Crysis 2 on max, a min of 4GB ram for now, and the LCD screen. All the other components need to just match. I don't have any other specifics. Even a 500GB hdd for now would do. I can always add on later when I have the budget.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2011 1:08:14 AM

If you are gaming, then an i5 2500k is as good as you are going to get. Yes the i7 2600k is "Better" but, in reality, you rather save the $100 for a better Graphics card because in gaming, you aren't going to see a difference. And you said "as soon as I have the funds." Well, don't buy your system until you have the funds so you can get a Kick-@** gaming machine.
m
l
July 6, 2011 1:19:05 AM

Hmm.. If I sold the i5 in this setup and upgraded to an i7-860, would that be enough for the moment? Or would be a better idea to just get a whole new system with support for the later i7s? Thing is, I havent been keeping up with desktop stuff for a while now so I'm unsure if I need a 2nd get i7 or if the i7-860 or something compatable with this system will be enough for me.

Basically I don't WANT to spend more than about $850 on a setup, and when I saw this and saw that all this stuff was included, I figured it would be a good deal... If I forget about the processor thing for the moment and was looking at the price aspect would this then be a good buy for the price and also would this be good enough for Crysis 2 on max and some heavy rendering?
m
l
July 6, 2011 1:21:25 AM

Ok and I can get this setup for $800. Right now to me this sounds like a really good price for the above setup. Ignoring upgrades and stuff, whole new question. Would this be a good deal for $800? Or could I do better?

Thanks for all the help!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2011 1:29:25 AM

It wouldn't be a bad deal, won't be the best gaming PC...realize that:
1) There is no warranty
2) The parts are used, there is a higher chance of breaking
If you really want to buy it, go ahead, but TBH, I think it's only worth $700-750
EDIT: If you want to upgrade, you will want to buy a second gen intel CPU, therefore spending money on the CPU and the MoBo. Buying the i7 860 isn't worth it
m
l
July 6, 2011 1:36:08 AM

Ok thanks for the info! Thats really some helpful stuff. Maybe I'll be better off building a system from scratch.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2011 3:08:59 AM

You would be, if you need help, I, along with the community will be here to help you
m
l
July 6, 2011 3:10:57 AM

Alright then, thats what I'll do! Thanks for the advice!
m
l
July 17, 2011 5:40:02 PM

Best answer selected by Lok3sh.
m
l
!