Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Should I get a cheap placeholder processor waiting for ivy bridge?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 2, 2011 12:45:52 AM

Hi! I need a strong build since I need to do some CAD and video editing (some gaming on the side too :D  ) for 2nd semester of school, but I cant wait till then to build it since I need to replace my ailing Intel Pentium dual core from 2007 (which was a basic office pc). I'm buying a z68 board and want to buy a core i5 2500k but I know ivy bridge is coming out soon. As stated before, I literally cant wait for late Q1 2012 since I need a machine NOW. My question is, should I buy all the other components and buy a cheap ($50) celeron LGA 1155 now as a place holder while I wait (IB will use 1155 too & since as a student, I cant afford to buy a $220 cpu now then buy one again later)? I mean I know IB is just a die shrink, but it will support dx 11, be more power, performance and heat efficient than SB. Or do you guys have another suggestions? Ivy bridge is so close.......I feel like im going to buy SB then have sandy bridge come out half a month later =/

My other parts Im about to get (feel free to suggest replacements that might be better for same or cheaper price):
XFX HD-687A-ZHFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 $170
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb $35
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $27
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard $125
Undecided, around 600w powersupply (possibly an Antec modular one) ~$63

Thanks!


PS: I know Celeron's performance is laughable, but its cheap placeholder and gets the work done for everyday computing.
October 2, 2011 1:54:11 AM

I would just get the i5 2500k... You'd have plenty of time to save up between now and Ivy Bridge. Then you can sell the i5 for a small return :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2011 1:57:48 AM

I didn't see a CPU cooler, so I wouldn't get a 2500k if you ever plan to upgrade soon. (within 6 months) I would grab a core i3 2100.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 141 à CPUs
October 2, 2011 2:03:15 AM

IB won't be out til probably q2 2012, 6+ months from now, that's not soon imo. There's always something new coming out in 6 months so save up and buy everything you need at once, a placeholder is a waste of money. And waiting for the next best thing will get you nowhere. Although maybe just hold out for SBE and bulldozer, those are soon.

You're overhyping IB, it's really not that big of a deal over any other tick or tock.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2011 2:12:43 AM

k1114 said:
IB won't be out til probably q2 2012, 6+ months from now, that's not soon imo. There's always something new coming out in 6 months so save up and buy everything you need at once, a placeholder is a waste of money. And waiting for the next best thing will get you nowhere. Although maybe just hold out for SBE and bulldozer, those are soon.

You're overhyping IB, it's really not that big of a deal over any other tick or tock.

I thought SBE was just a SB die shrink. Is it not?
m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
October 2, 2011 2:24:23 AM

No SBE is socket 2011, still 32nm, chipset x79, quad channel ram, the replacement for intel's highend, socket 1336. It's not much of a performance difference from the current sb but prices should drop just a little from amd finally releasing new stuff. The op probably wouldn't go that high end/price anyways, but he should save up more.
m
0
l
October 2, 2011 2:33:56 AM

k1114 said:
IB won't be out til probably q2 2012, 6+ months from now, that's not soon imo............. Although maybe just hold out for SBE and bulldozer, those are soon.
You're overhyping IB, it's really not that big of a deal over any other tick or tock.


I dont plan on getting SBE since my build is not going to be that high end (I am on a budget after all) and now that I think of it, IB is far away. What is the estimated time for SBE? Do you guys think it will drive the price of normal SB processors down? As far as I know, intel has no plans to decrease prices of SB chips until Ivy bridge release. Do you guys think Bulldozer will be better than a 2500K in terms of performance (for a similar price). I know at this point its just guesses and opinions, but I'm more than happy to hear them.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 141 à CPUs
October 2, 2011 2:47:15 AM

Like last generation (and even now), nehalem vs phenom, amd will have more cores for a lower price, but lower instructions per cycle. The extra cores will help in multithreaded software such as video editing but AFAIK cad is only single threaded. SBE and bulldozer will be out by the end of the year, amd is looking at oct-nov while intel is nov-dec. SBE isn't going to drop the price of SB, they are different performance/price tiers.
Share
October 2, 2011 3:09:20 AM

k1114 said:
Like last generation (and even now), nehalem vs phenom, amd will have more cores for a lower price, but lower instructions per cycle. The extra cores will help in multithreaded software such as video editing but AFAIK cad is only single threaded. SBE and bulldozer will be out by the end of the year, amd is looking at oct-nov while intel is nov-dec. SBE isn't going to drop the price of SB, they are different performance/price tiers.


THANKS! You've been really helpful. :D  One last question before I call it quits: Since AMD Bulldozer probably wont be much help for most of what I need (gaming & cad, despite being somewhat helpful for video editing), would recommend just clamping down and getting a 2500k? Also, any GPU's you would recommend for around ~$150?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2011 11:50:38 AM

darksulfur5 said:
THANKS! You've been really helpful. :D  One last question before I call it quits: Since AMD Bulldozer probably wont be much help for most of what I need (gaming & cad, despite being somewhat helpful for video editing), would recommend just clamping down and getting a 2500k? Also, any GPU's you would recommend for around ~$150?

I you plan on OCing, grab a 2500k, as for the GPU, grab a hd6870.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2011 11:54:51 AM

darksulfur5 said:
I dont plan on getting SBE since my build is not going to be that high end (I am on a budget after all) and now that I think of it, IB is far away. What is the estimated time for SBE? Do you guys think it will drive the price of normal SB processors down? As far as I know, intel has no plans to decrease prices of SB chips until Ivy bridge release. Do you guys think Bulldozer will be better than a 2500K in terms of performance (for a similar price). I know at this point its just guesses and opinions, but I'm more than happy to hear them.

I am a student and wanting a SB E build.
Anyway the time for SBE launch is to be around November 14.
However most vendors would start selling the SBE around late October.
m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
October 2, 2011 6:28:10 PM

I've got the 2500k a couple months back (for gaming and rendering) and I have no plans of getting IB, it will not be worth it, SB is still plenty powerful. The 6850 or 460 1gb should be around $150.

What is your budget anyways?
m
0
l
October 2, 2011 6:35:06 PM

Best answer selected by darksulfur5.
m
0
l
October 2, 2011 7:22:08 PM

k1114 said:
I've got the 2500k a couple months back (for gaming and rendering) and I have no plans of getting IB, it will not be worth it, SB is still plenty powerful. The 6850 or 460 1gb should be around $150.

What is your budget anyways?


My budget for the whole build is about $650, give or take. Somewhat low, but I have to make do. And as for GPU, I picked a 6850.
m
0
l
!