Sign in with
Your question

Internet stops working at random

Last response: in Networking
September 11, 2010 7:14:04 PM

Ive been having a weird internet issue for several months now, and now its getting more frequent. What happens is whether Im connected to my wireless router wireless or hard wired, I sometimes lose internet connection however, windows does not detect that there are any issues and still think I am connected. Also when using wireless and the internet stops, I am still connected wireless to the router.

I have tried two different modems through Time Warner Cable, and Ive tried two different routers. I have just recently moved 5mi down the road, and the problem still exist. Additionally I have this issue with 3 computers in the house and all have been scanned for viruses and spyware but all came up clean.

Here is my Modem info at 192.168.100.1

Downstream

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 4
Downstream Frequency : 603000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 5.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.0 dB

Upstream

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 7
Upstream Frequency : 30000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 52.8 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 4

Here is a ping -t to google.com when the internet stops working

In addition to all this, just today I have started to get even more weirder issues. I now can have a continues ping to google,com with replies back and have issues with web pages loading. Sometimes they dont load at all and other times they load but with basic text no backgrounds or arrangements, really weird. Also sometimes photos only load half way and stop and the web page says its done.

Any Ideas?

a b F Wireless
September 12, 2010 10:56:33 AM

lexxerd said:

In addition to all this, just today I have started to get even more weirder issues. I now can have a continues ping to google,com with replies back and have issues with web pages loading. Sometimes they dont load at all and other times they load but with basic text no backgrounds or arrangements, really weird. Also sometimes photos only load half way and stop and the web page says its done.

Any Ideas?

This last bit would make me do a number of tests at http://www.speedtest.net through, say, a sixteen hour period. If pings and response times are good but pages fail to load, Time Warner may not be shipping you what you're paying for.

m
l
September 13, 2010 4:31:40 PM

What is your internet connection type? you posted "Time Warner Cable" so i assume that you are using a cable modem and not DSL correct? Also if you would please provide what version of windows you are using. Because i have a theory. Most newer modems automatically renew the IP address and sometimes the computer does not realize it has done so. This in turn fools the computer into thinking that it is still connected to the internet while still trying to connect by using the old IP address that the modem has just automatically updated. Some modems have a feature in which you can either set the IP renewal to a week or even turn it off completely. Now that is one theory. My other theory is that if you are using a DSL connection and have a router for connecting multiple computers is this, if you set your modem to "bridged ethernet" mode the router will perform all of the duties the modem was supposed to perform without renewing your IP address. so please respond on what connection you have and what version windows you are using and i believe we can solve this hair-jerker
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2013 2:21:05 PM

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my cable modem. I can't access my modem options, because probably there aren't eny. How can I set the IP renewal completely of?

Thanks for answering!
m
l
January 24, 2013 7:22:52 PM

The error 10.10.10.2 Destination Host Unreachable means it's not connecting to the router itself. Have you tried a different router or have one to try? That would be my first port of call.
m
l
January 27, 2013 7:13:55 PM

klasing said:
The error 10.10.10.2 Destination Host Unreachable means it's not connecting to the router itself. Have you tried a different router or have one to try? That would be my first port of call.

I've tried, but it didn't work. I don't know what else I can do.
m
l
February 5, 2013 11:59:13 PM

Hey all, original poster here. The issue actually was because of to many interferences on the 2.4GHz range. I got a 5GHz router and the problem was fixed. I used Wifi analyzer on my phone to see what channels are in use and there were at least 15 connections in my building.
m
l
February 6, 2013 7:18:30 AM

Its a issue over a long time ago.
m
l
!