Module Enabled but no DIMM seen

Hi
I have a Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R. When I try to add more memory I get the following problem. The slot 4 does not indicate a DIMM but enables it. This is reproduceble for many differnt combinations of the DIMM moduels and also for different configurations.
Any suggestions please
12 answers Last reply
More about module enabled dimm seen
  1. How much RAM is already in it before you add the 4th stick and how big is the 4th stick?
  2. well all modules are 4 GB. they are matched 3 by 3. I can make the sytem find (beside the starting 12 GB) 16 and 20 GB but as soon as I have slot 4 occupied it (the bios) claim not to see the DIMM but it enables it. The bios displays something like this

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1 . . . . . 2 . . . . .3 . . . . . .4. . . . . .5 . . . .6
    DIMM slot (MB) . . . . . 4096 . . . . - . . . 4096 . . . . - . . . 4096 . . -
    Enabled slot (MB) . . . 4096 . . . . - . . . . . - . . . . 4096 . . . .- . . . . -

The piece that it does not enable slot 3 is normal as this configuration disables this slot. The behaivier that it does not see that there is a DIMM in channel 4 but still enables it is consistent for 4,5 and 6 DIMMs
  3. Do I understand it right that if you put in all 6 sticks you get

?
  4. check that the ram is all the same and that it been tested or qal for that mb. you may have to bump the dimm voltage up a bit.
    if it wont see it you may have a bad dimm slot or a bad dimm.
  5. I have exchanged the DIMMs and tested with at least four different ones (systematicly). I have increased the voltage.
  6. Raiddinn said:
    Do I understand it right that if you put in all 6 sticks you get

?

yes
  7. No matter what order, any of those other 5 sticks in that same slot does the same thing?
  8. well I keep the matched tripples in 1,3,5 or 2,4,6 they are the same but with different version numbers. Same model number and timing. I have only systematicly tyed 2 from each set in slot 4 but before I started out by systematic test I may have had others in that slot.
  9. If you just have 1 in slot 4 and no others in any slot, what happens?

Also, when you have 1 in slot 1 and 1 in slot 4, when you go into Windows right click on My Computer and hit Properties and tell me how much RAM it has listed there.
  10. do not work at all. I have assumed I have to start with the odd slots though.
  11. further I do not normaly run Windows. But the problem with the suggestion is that the boot process do not pass the "calylating RAM size" stage. this means I can start no OS with a memory stick in slot 4
  12. Sounds like its just a bad slot to me. The results of the tests didn't do anything to change my theory.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte DIMM Memory Motherboards