DS and a FPS

I've been playing the Metroid demo and have mixed feelings about
the control. Part of me likes the ability of using the stylus to
aim and look around. Part of me hates it. I've found that I can
be quick with that stylus (PC FPS players please be quiet about a mouse).
I own a DS and am debating about purchasing a PSP shen it is released
but do not want to ahve to carry around 2 portable gaming devices.
IMO the analog sticks on the PSP offer more variety in control
however the stylus and gaming options there are very nice. I've
been playing Feel the Magic and am hooked.

what do you guys think about the new DS and the way to control
games like Metroid?

Chris

> I've been playing the Metroid demo and have mixed feelings about
> the control. Part of me likes the ability of using the stylus to
> aim and look around. Part of me hates it. I've found that I can
> be quick with that stylus (PC FPS players please be quiet about a
mouse).
> I own a DS and am debating about purchasing a PSP shen it is released
> but do not want to ahve to carry around 2 portable gaming devices.
> IMO the analog sticks on the PSP offer more variety in control
> however the stylus and gaming options there are very nice. I've
> been playing Feel the Magic and am hooked.
>
> what do you guys think about the new DS and the way to control
> games like Metroid?
>
> Chris

I can not play any game in First Person. On the DS less so. Having said
that:

Get the PSP when it comes out.

Carry it around when you want the FPS fix, and the DS when you want
something else.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:13:29 -0500, Christopher Fowler
<cfowler@NOSPAM.linxdev.com> wrote:

>what do you guys think about the new DS and the way to control
>games like Metroid?
>
>Chris

I also have mixed feelings ... I liked Duke Nukem Advance on the GBA,
as the controld worked OK, but they're always a kludge compared to PC.

I'm primarily a PC gamer, and a FPS fan ... so I don't envision myself
as much of a DS FPS player. But I have played with the Metroid demo
on my new DS (wife got it for me for XMas), and can get used to the
feel pretty easily, using the thumb-stylus.

Mike

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Christopher Fowler" <cfowler@NOSPAM.linxdev.com> wrote
> I've been playing the Metroid demo and have mixed feelings about
> the control. Part of me likes the ability of using the stylus to
> aim and look around. Part of me hates it. I've found that I can
> be quick with that stylus (PC FPS players please be quiet about a mouse).
> I own a DS and am debating about purchasing a PSP shen it is released
> but do not want to ahve to carry around 2 portable gaming devices.
> IMO the analog sticks on the PSP offer more variety in control
> however the stylus and gaming options there are very nice. I've
> been playing Feel the Magic and am hooked.
>
> what do you guys think about the new DS and the way to control
> games like Metroid?
>
> Chris

As for the touchscreen/stylus, I like it. I like it a lot. However, there
definetly could be improvement. I'm hoping that future software (including
Metroid when released) will have the capability to adjust the "sensativity"
of using the "thumb stylus" on the touchscreen. My only complaint is that I
don't have the range of motion to do complete movements on the TS, requiring
to lift your thumb off the screen and then re-apply. Sensativity
adjustment (if possible) seems like it would be the solution.

As for FPS's on handhelds -- I can't really comment on it yet as I'm a
"late-comer" to the GBA (or Gameboys in general). Had it not of been for
the GBA-SP re-design, I probably still wouldn't had got a GBA -- and
consequently a DS recently. With the exception of the Sega Nomad, the only
"hand-held" gaming I had been doing for the last several years was with
PDA's. And, of course, gaming on PDA's can be horrendous outside of the
"usual" PDA-type games such as card games, golf games, bowling, etc. I did
have NES emulators on my PDA's, but even found them to be a PITA for the
most part. Picked up the GBA-SP on a whim and was immiedietly hooked. So
much better for gaming than PDA's. Love the GBA-SP design as well. Just so
well thought out, even if you have to use an adaptor for headphones.
(Never use headphones anyway.) Only GBA FPS game I tried was "Medal of
Honor: Underground", and well -- guess that goes without saying. (Didn't
care for it in the least bit.) I'm sure I'll get "Metroid" for the DS when
its released (enjoying the demo), but I don't FPS will be my "main thing"
for the DS. Right now, still having fun with "Mario 64 DS" and "Asphalt:
Urban GT" -- and (with the help of a flash cart) finally am doing perfect
NES hand-held emulation (with GBA-SP). :^)