Arrhhhh! Vortex II under Windows 2000

G

I recently Upgraded my Athlon 600 on a Gigabyte 7IXE, with an AMD Irongate750 chipset on it, to a Duron 650@900 on an Abit KT7-RAID with a VIA KT133 on it. My problem is this: On my old Mainboard, my Vortex II worked flawlessly with any drivers, but now, i can't get it to work properly. It will randomly just stop playing sound, Say in winamp, it will stop at 1:53 and never start again untill i restart windowz Any Help would be GREATLY appriciated

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That is always why i go with Sound Blaster. They are a bigger company and they know what they are doing. Anyhow...check your drivers. See if they have new drivers for any of your hardware...including your bios and via drivers.

G

I have a vortex2 2500, and it ran just fine in win2k pro (p2-400 system). I suggest getting the latest drivers first off, and hopefully your problem will be fixed. Also, check to see if you don't have an IRQ conflict...I had a problem with my tv card and my ps/2 mouse once--the mouse cursor would disappear when I watched TV, and I'd have to reboot for it to come back. The problem was that the mouse and tv tuner were both trying to hog IRQ 7 (or whatever). Anyway--check for a conflict...

to SoulReaper:
I luv my card, it's the best card I've ever used (especially when you consider the price, 20 bucks on ebay). Quadraphonic sound at a great price--compare to 100 dollars for a decent sb live...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by HARM on 11/11/00 07:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have aureal vortex2 sq2500 sound card and I have bad news to you...Vortex2 and any socket and/or slot(I`m not sure on that) amd based motherboards are incompatible to each other and I heard that it is hardware related...In short, probably these card will be stay incompitable...Maybe new 760 chipset from amd does not have this problem. I think you should ask tom himself by email...

G

Well i got the same problem with W2k and i have the lates and greates in drivers :)
I have no hardware conflicts with WII and the drivers installed just fine.
There must be a bug somewhere :mad:

- Stage

G

I havn't personally used a Vortex card, but I have tried several times to get various versions of those cheap SB PCI 128 cards to work in 3 or 4 different AMD systems, and I have never seen one work. Certain sound cards just don't see to work in AMD systems. They were all soundcards that I would guess use the CPU to do their work for them instead of having real audio chips on them, perhaps those systems are only designed for Intel chips.