Desktop Replacement

Suppose you had to replace your desktop with a laptop. Which one -
ignore cost - would you choose?
42 answers Last reply
More about desktop replacement

    "Chuck Pinnegar" <cpinnegar@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > Suppose you had to replace your desktop with a laptop. Which one -
    > ignore cost - would you choose?

    HP ZD8000

    Chuck Pinnegar <cpinnegar@cogeco.ca> wrote:
    >Suppose you had to replace your desktop with a laptop. Which one -
    >ignore cost - would you choose?

    Why can you only have one computer? I've got a moderately-powerful
    laptop with decent battery life and lots of swappable peripherals,
    plus a high-end (well, it was _last_ year 8*) desktop with giant
    disks, lotsa memory, a gaming video card, and all the peripherals I
    need all the time.

    I wouldn't replace either of them with another one of the other.

    William P. N. Smith wrote in comp.sys.laptops:

    > plus a high-end (well, it was _last_ year 8*) desktop with giant
    > disks, lotsa memory, a gaming video card, and all the
    > peripherals I need all the time.

    And probably a lot of heat and noise which irritates me more than
    anything. By now there are only a few peripherals not available in
    a high-end laptop.

    My guess is that those current desktop rhinos will disappear all
    but for server applications. My second look in the crystal ball:
    hail to the lap- palmtop PDA and tablet PC's in less than ten
    years.

    JM2c, of course.

    --
    CeeBee

    ***The cookie has spoken***

    CeeBee <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote:
    >William P. N. Smith wrote in comp.sys.laptops:
    >> plus a high-end (well, it was _last_ year 8*) desktop with giant
    >> disks, lotsa memory, a gaming video card, and all the
    >> peripherals I need all the time.

    >And probably a lot of heat and noise which irritates me more than
    >anything. By now there are only a few peripherals not available in
    >a high-end laptop.

    Show me the laptop with equivalent performance, price, and (lessee)
    600G hard drive volume set, Raid-0 10K RPM disks, a Radeon 9800 Pro
    256M video card, 800MHz FSB, dual-channel memory, 52X CD-Rom reader,
    removable hard drive tray, and 21" CRT (no LCD, thanks).

    Apples and oranges.

    >I wouldn't replace either of them with another one of the other.

    so in your opinion a person needs BOTH of them?

    William P. N. Smith wrote in comp.sys.laptops:

    > Show me the laptop with equivalent performance, price, and
    > (lessee) 600G hard drive volume set, Raid-0 10K RPM disks, a
    > Radeon 9800 Pro 256M video card, 800MHz FSB, dual-channel
    > memory, 52X CD-Rom reader, removable hard drive tray, and 21"
    > CRT (no LCD, thanks).
    >
    > Apples and oranges.

    Why would people now buying a desktop PC need 600G hard drive volume
    set, Raid-0 10K RPM disks, a Radeon 9800 Pro 256M video card, 800MHz
    FSB, dual-channel memory, 52X CD-Rom reader, removable hard drive
    tray, and a refrigerator size 21" CRT? Just because _you_ have the
    need for it?

    Apples and oranges.

    --
    CeeBee

    ***The cookie has spoken***

    CeeBee wrote:

    > William P. N. Smith wrote in comp.sys.laptops:
    >

    >> Show me the laptop with equivalent performance, price, and
    >> (lessee) 600G hard drive volume set, Raid-0 10K RPM disks, a
    >> Radeon 9800 Pro 256M video card, 800MHz FSB, dual-channel
    >> memory, 52X CD-Rom reader, removable hard drive tray, and 21"
    >> CRT (no LCD, thanks).
    >>
    >> Apples and oranges.
    >

    > Why would people now buying a desktop PC need 600G hard drive volume
    > set, Raid-0 10K RPM disks, a Radeon 9800 Pro 256M video card, 800MHz
    > FSB, dual-channel memory, 52X CD-Rom reader, removable hard drive
    > tray, and a refrigerator size 21" CRT? Just because _you_ have the
    > need for it?

    If your refrigerator is the size of a 21" CRT you need a bigger place.

    Beyond that, one word. HDTV.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in
    comp.sys.laptops:

    > If your refrigerator is the size of a 21" CRT you need a bigger
    > place.

    No, it was your 21" CRT. My 22" CRT fills a good deal of my computer
    desk. True. :)

    > Beyond that, one word. HDTV.

    So you wouldn't change your desktop for a laptop. Or give up one of
    them. It's no indication that desktops aren't irreplacable with
    desktops for about 90% of all PC users. On the contrary: the
    majority of desktops currently in use by people around the world can
    be replaced by a laptop that outperforms their current system
    without being high-end at all. Around me I've only seen a growth in
    the use of laptops, hardly any growth in desktops.

    --
    CeeBee

    ***The cookie has spoken***

    CeeBee wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in
    > comp.sys.laptops:
    >

    >> If your refrigerator is the size of a 21" CRT you need a bigger
    >> place.
    >
    > No, it was your 21" CRT. My 22" CRT fills a good deal of my computer
    > desk. True. :)

    If your refrigerator is the size of _any_ CRT then you need a bigger place.

    >> Beyond that, one word. HDTV.
    >

    > So you wouldn't change your desktop for a laptop. Or give up one of
    > them.

    No, neither serves the purposes of the other.

    > It's no indication that desktops aren't irreplacable with
    > desktops for about 90% of all PC users.

    Do those 90% agree with you? And if you are going to assert that they do I
    want to see your statistics.

    > On the contrary: the
    > majority of desktops currently in use by people around the world can
    > be replaced by a laptop that outperforms their current system
    > without being high-end at all.

    IF it is used with the same keyboard, mouse, and monitor as their current
    desktop maybe. Personally I find typing on a laptop keyboard, _any_ laptop
    keyboard, to be agony, and there is a special place in Hell for whoever
    came up with touchpads.

    > Around me I've only seen a growth in
    > the use of laptops, hardly any growth in desktops.

    So? How do you know that "around you" is representative? If you were
    working at Pixar you would probably see a somewhat different trend.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    >IF it is used with the same keyboard, mouse, and monitor as their current
    >desktop maybe. Personally I find typing on a laptop keyboard, _any_ laptop
    >keyboard, to be agony, and there is a special place in Hell for whoever
    >came up with touchpads.

    I agree with this

    But one thing I thought abt doing was to use a wireless
    keyboard in conjunction with a laptop used as a
    "desktop" most of time.

    your thoughts on that?

    In article <nuc1c15fk6jcph6d29au4lr7pmrcd518q1@4ax.com>,
    <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >>IF it is used with the same keyboard, mouse, and monitor as their current
    >>desktop maybe. Personally I find typing on a laptop keyboard, _any_ laptop
    >>keyboard, to be agony, and there is a special place in Hell for whoever
    >>came up with touchpads.

    Personally, I like touchpads better than mice, and like both better than
    trackpoints (for which I'd assign the designer a special place in hell).

    Different strokes, I suppose.

    -Mike
    --
    http://www.mschaef.com

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in
    comp.sys.laptops:

    > What, 21" display? Pretty good right now, getting better as the
    > prices come down. Terabyte array? A couple of episodes of CSI
    > Miami fill up my laptop.

    Prices coming down is no indication of growing sales; neither is
    your ability to put a couple of episodes of CSI on your laptop. ..

    > How many _need_ a spec higher than that of a Palm Pilot?

    My thoughts exactly.

    > If it's got a big enough screen for everyday use then it's not
    > very portable.

    I have a 17" laptop screen and it's very portable. A truckload of
    people is still sitting behind their 15" CRT _desktop_ screen.

    > What trend? On what information are you basing your contention
    > that that is the trend?

    Simply look at developments. Mac Mini, PC Mac Mini clones, smaller
    media systems for TV, PDA's, mobile phones, iPODs, laptops, just a
    selection.
    Main development for consumer PC's -except for the small group of
    heavy users - is fitting into the living room, silence,
    portability, energy consumption. The application of 'mobile'
    processors in desktops to keep them more silent and more energy
    friendly is another example of the demand for compact, energy
    friendly and more silent.

    It doesn't mean you don't have the right to own a great bulky top-
    end system. All I indicated that for 90% of the consumers a decent
    laptop is a perfect replacement for their current desktop PC. For
    them, it has everything. Not for you.

    --
    CeeBee

    ***The cookie has spoken***

    CeeBee wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in
    > comp.sys.laptops:
    >

    >> What, 21" display? Pretty good right now, getting better as the
    >> prices come down. Terabyte array? A couple of episodes of CSI
    >> Miami fill up my laptop.
    >
    > Prices coming down is no indication of growing sales;

    Actually it is--it reflects economies of scale that come from increased
    sales volume.

    > neither is
    > your ability to put a couple of episodes of CSI on your laptop. ..

    That's the point. I can put a _couple_ and it's _full_.

    >> How many _need_ a spec higher than that of a Palm Pilot?
    >
    > My thoughts exactly.
    >
    >> If it's got a big enough screen for everyday use then it's not
    >> very portable.
    >
    > I have a 17" laptop screen and it's very portable.

    But for me 17" is not big enough for everyday use.

    > A truckload of
    > people is still sitting behind their 15" CRT _desktop_ screen.

    So?
    >> What trend? On what information are you basing your contention
    >> that that is the trend?
    >

    > Simply look at developments. Mac Mini, PC Mac Mini clones, smaller
    > media systems for TV, PDA's, mobile phones, iPODs, laptops, just a
    > selection.

    Sorry, but you are confusing products with markets. Every major vendor has
    one or more reduced form factor machines and has for years. They sell to a
    few niches, but they aren't hte mainstream.

    > Main development for consumer PC's -except for the small group of
    > heavy users - is fitting into the living room,

    How many consumers put the PC in the living room? I do, but I'm a nerd.

    > silence,

    There are completely silent desktop cases. The manufacturers don't sell
    enough of them to get the prices down. And laptops with performance
    equivalent to a desktop are not silent.

    > portability,

    So you assert. Personally I don't think that a portable machine "fits into
    the living room" very well.

    > energy consumption.

    And that of course is why Intel has recently introduced their most
    power-hungry processors to date. Energy consumption from computers is
    minuscule compared to that of other common energy users in residences.

    > The application of 'mobile'
    > processors in desktops to keep them more silent and more energy
    > friendly is another example of the demand for compact, energy
    > friendly and more silent.

    No, it's an example of some manufacturers _hoping_ that there is such a
    demand. Do most desktop machines use mobile processors? If not, why not
    if there is such a huge demand for them.

    > It doesn't mean you don't have the right to own a great bulky top-
    > end system. All I indicated that for 90% of the consumers a decent
    > laptop is a perfect replacement for their current desktop PC. For
    > them, it has everything. Not for you.

    I think you have some fundamental misconceptions about the relationship
    between products and markets. If you want to know where the market is, you
    need to find out what consumers are buying, not what manufacturers are
    _hoping_ that they will buy. So far all you have said is that "a few
    manufacturers are introducing machines with thus and so features therefore
    they are what the market is demanding".

    By your reasoning there was a huge market for the Edsel.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    >But for me 17" is not big enough for everyday use.

    what size do you like?

    what would;d your biggest size be?

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    >>But for me 17" is not big enough for everyday use.
    >
    > what size do you like?

    19-21"

    > what would;d your biggest size be?

    8 feet.

    --

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    >>IF it is used with the same keyboard, mouse, and monitor as their current
    >>desktop maybe. Personally I find typing on a laptop keyboard, _any_
    >>laptop keyboard, to be agony, and there is a special place in Hell for
    >>whoever came up with touchpads.
    >
    > I agree with this
    >
    > But one thing I thought abt doing was to use a wireless
    > keyboard in conjunction with a laptop used as a
    > "desktop" most of time.
    >
    > your thoughts on that?

    Start accessorizing and after a while it's taking up more space than a
    conventional desktop would.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Laptops seem to be a fashion at the moment. I've heard comments like "a
    laptop is better" (than a desktop) without a single justification.

    Let's make it simple: if portability is an issue, then a laptop is WAY,
    WAY better than a desktop. However, using any other criteria, there is
    no way a laptop can touch a desktop: performance, cost, available
    options, upgrade flexibility.

    Having said that, it does not mean that a laptop's performance would
    not meet many people's actual requirements from a practical
    perspective. But what's that got do do with anything?

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    >>I wouldn't replace either of them with another one of the other.
    >
    >so in your opinion a person needs BOTH of them?

    Absolutely! If "CeeBee" gets to #define everyone's computer "needs"
    then I get to #define everyone's computer count. 8*) I have both
    (plus a couple of "Sybil" multi-boot machines, plus administration of
    our file/print server) my wife has both, in a recent client's
    household almost everyone has both, so therefore everyone needs both.

    Actually, now that I think on it, most of the kids I know only have a
    (usually hand-me-down) desktop, so there's probably a point (age 12?)
    below which you only need a desktop, and above which you MUST have
    both a desktop and a laptop. I'll call that "Willie's Rule Of
    Computer Ownership" and you all most conform. 8*) Oh, durn, I just
    remembered my 7YO son has the PeeCee and the iMac. Maybe Willie's
    Rule is a minimum. 8*)

    I'll let you know my pronouncement on PDAs, iPods, cellphones, and
    other personal electronics at a later date. It'll take some thought,
    as replacement frequency is an important part of owning one of these
    devices, but varies widely based on device type.

    {Flashlights,watches,knives,guns,tools,test equipment} are easy, (more
    is always better) but that's a guy thing. Thank you for your
    attention. 8*)

    CeeBee <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote:
    >William P. N. Smith wrote in comp.sys.laptops:
    >Why would people now buying a desktop PC need [a powerful machine]

    Gamers are a significant part of the PeeCee market, and there are no
    gaming laptops (IMNSHO an oxymoron) that can come anywere close to the
    performance of a high-end gaming desktop.

    >Laptops seem to be a fashion at the moment. I've heard comments like "a
    >laptop is better" (than a desktop) without a single justification.

    The one thing that bothers me abt using a laptop as a
    "desktop" is the ergonomics of it.

    For example....with my desktop I can use a big enough
    display such that I actually setting in a laz z boy
    recliner with feet up in air while surfing the net!!

    That's not easy to do with a laptop

    > My 22" CRT fills a good deal of my computer
    >desk. True. :)

    Instead of setting it on a desk....

    Buy a 24" x 36" wire mesh food cart with wheels on it.
    You can get them from Lowes or Costco.

    Matter of fact put your whole system on this cart and
    you can roll it around anywhere you want

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >IF it is used with the same keyboard, mouse, and monitor as their current
    >>desktop maybe. Personally I find typing on a laptop keyboard, _any_
    >>laptop
    >>keyboard, to be agony, and there is a special place in Hell for whoever
    >>came up with touchpads.
    >
    > I agree with this
    >
    > But one thing I thought abt doing was to use a wireless
    > keyboard in conjunction with a laptop used as a
    > "desktop" most of time.
    >
    > your thoughts on that?

    Agreed. for the notebook, wireless keyboard/ mouse on the replicator at the
    office. Pocket Kensington wireless mouse when travelling.

    At home, Wicked cranking blue light flashing brushed ali case with 600gig
    storage on a PIV 3.6 in constant meltdown at home with Surround 5.1 and a
    21" flat hi res CRT...

    I may not be in the 90% but I know when I need the notebook and when I need
    the big blue box. I know what the 90% would want if they had a choice and
    it wouldn't be constantly hunched over a laptop.

    Dave

    Dave

    >> But one thing I thought abt doing was to use a wireless
    >> keyboard in conjunction with a laptop used as a
    >> "desktop" most of time.
    >>
    >> your thoughts on that?
    >
    >Agreed. for the notebook, wireless keyboard/ mouse on the replicator at the
    >office. Pocket Kensington wireless mouse when travelling.

    Agree as well. Any advice on a good wireless keyboard
    with built in wireless mouse

    >At home, Wicked cranking blue light flashing brushed ali case with 600gig
    >storage on a PIV 3.6 in constant meltdown at home with Surround 5.1 and a
    >21" flat hi res CRT...
    >
    >I may not be in the 90% but I know when I need the notebook and when I need
    >the big blue box. I know what the 90% would want if they had a choice and
    >it wouldn't be constantly hunched over a laptop.

    Agree on above as well.

    I'm in market for a new PC...and have been close to
    buying a laptop and using it as a desktop

    BUT... like you.... I'm a power hog!! I like the
    ability to use a huge monitor and set back in my
    recliner and use wireless keyboard and surf THAT way

    That's not so easy to do with a laptop as the display
    choices are small.

    Matter of fact.....I'm thinking of going with a samsung
    213t for next desktop display....and its 23" lcd!!!

    I've kind of come to conclusion that it's not an
    "either/or" situation. There really are times when
    BOTH are nice!

    me@privacy.net wrote in comp.sys.laptops:

    > Instead of setting it on a desk....
    >
    > Buy a 24" x 36" wire mesh food cart with wheels on it.
    > You can get them from Lowes or Costco.
    >
    > Matter of fact put your whole system on this cart and
    > you can roll it around anywhere you want

    .....and 12,0000 km of electricity cable, for intercontinental user.

    --
    CeeBee

    ***The cookie has spoken***

    >....and 12,0000 km of electricity cable, for intercontinental user.

    How so?

    Just roll it close to any outlet

    I even have a small UPS setting on low shelf.

    It actually keeps everything nice and neat cable wise.
    Just arrange cables and cable tie them

    William P. N. Smith wrote in comp.sys.laptops:

    > Gamers are a significant part of the PeeCee market,

    Game developers are changing their minds about that. It's just the
    other way around: game developers realize they increasingly only
    cater a small part of the PC users with the games they develop, need
    a lot of fast hardware and a lot of time and dedication. They miss
    out the largest part of the PC users: the ones in for a casual game
    without giving up their lives in an instance.

    --
    CeeBee

    ***The cookie has spoken***

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in
    comp.sys.laptops:

    > Do those 90% agree with you? And if you are going to assert
    > that they do I want to see your statistics.

    The majority of PC and laptop users are either in the business
    segment or the home users without the need (or money) to have high
    end systems. That's why they are called "high-end".

    You try to create a non-existent opposition between what you want (a
    high end desktop as well) and what the majority of PC users have.
    The fact that the majority of these PC users do not have such a
    desktop system doesn't mean that there's something wrong with your
    choice.
    "Others do not have nor need the system you own " doesn't equal
    "you're some idiot". We're discussing PC market development, not the
    sanity of your choices nor the size of your dick.

    > So? How do you know that "around you" is representative? If
    > you were working at Pixar you would probably see a somewhat
    > different trend.

    You'll find the majority of home users in business and simple home
    PC applications. It doesn't mean that there's something wrong with
    your (or my) choice of PC system, it only shows that "high-end
    systems" are just that: high-end.
    If the majority of PC users would choose for high-end systems, by
    definition it wouldn't be a high-end system anymore, but mainstream.

    Looking at product introductions and hard- and software developers
    the trend is _very_ clearly in the direction of more integrated and
    flexible systems.

    --
    CeeBee

    ***The cookie has spoken***

    > For example....with my desktop I can use a big enough
    > display such that I actually setting in a laz z boy
    > recliner with feet up in air while surfing the net!!
    >
    > That's not easy to do with a laptop

    I dissagree...

    I made a board out of balsa/plywood (so it was light), a bit of camper foam
    mat on the bottom (so it was soft and non-slip), bit of 1/4 round on the
    front edge (do it didn't cut my wrists), with enough room to run a mouse
    beside my laptop...

    I sit in chairs, move to the table, back to chairs, onto the bed, different
    room... etc... all the time... I just need to move my power, or run on
    batteries when I move more than a few feet. I think this is way more
    convenient, with better viewing options, than sitting back from a monitor,
    or using the TV, with its low resolution, for computing.

    Al...

    >I dissagree...
    >
    >I made a board out of balsa/plywood (so it was light), a bit of camper foam
    >mat on the bottom (so it was soft and non-slip), bit of 1/4 round on the
    >front edge (do it didn't cut my wrists), with enough room to run a mouse
    >beside my laptop...
    >
    >I sit in chairs, move to the table, back to chairs, onto the bed, different
    >room... etc... all the time... I just need to move my power, or run on
    >batteries when I move more than a few feet. I think this is way more
    >convenient, with better viewing options, than sitting back from a monitor,
    >or using the TV, with its low resolution, for computing.

    OK

    But you are moving the entire laptop as you move
    around. correct?

    With my method I use a wireless keyboard for a desktop
    unit with a BIG lcd display.

    The desktop and display are on a rolling cart

    I can move the system and display anywhere I want by
    rolling it. And set in any position and use it by
    using the wireless keyboard

    Alan Adrian wrote:

    > <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> For example....with my desktop I can use a big enough
    >> display such that I actually setting in a laz z boy
    >> recliner with feet up in air while surfing the net!!
    >>
    >> That's not easy to do with a laptop
    >
    > I dissagree...
    >
    > I made a board out of balsa/plywood (so it was light), a bit of camper
    > foam mat on the bottom (so it was soft and non-slip), bit of 1/4 round on
    > the front edge (do it didn't cut my wrists), with enough room to run a
    > mouse beside my laptop...
    >
    > I sit in chairs, move to the table, back to chairs, onto the bed,
    > different room... etc... all the time... I just need to move my power, or
    > run on
    > batteries when I move more than a few feet. I think this is way more
    > convenient, with better viewing options, than sitting back from a monitor,
    > or using the TV, with its low resolution, for computing.

    Think big. Front projection computer monitor. 8 foot screen and LCD-sharp.
    They're getting to where they're small and not horribly expensive. Still
    have that pesky 500 buck light bulb though. And that way you don't have to
    have a board sitting in your lap with a machine sitting on it--a diNovo
    keyboard and optical mouse work anywhere--you can even use the cat for a
    mouse pad if he's not too playful.

    --

    > OK
    >
    > But you are moving the entire laptop as you move
    > around. correct?

    > The desktop and display are on a rolling cart
    >
    > I can move the system and display anywhere I want by
    > rolling it. And set in any position and use it by
    > using the wireless keyboard

    I live in a Dutch house.. I have 3 floors and move between them often...

    You don't want to know where I'm sitting as I type this now.. but I had to
    go down a floor to get here... <g>

    Al...

    >>> But one thing I thought abt doing was to use a wireless
    >>> keyboard in conjunction with a laptop used as a
    >>> "desktop" most of time.
    >>>
    >>> your thoughts on that?
    >>
    >>Agreed. for the notebook, wireless keyboard/ mouse on the replicator at
    >>the
    >>office. Pocket Kensington wireless mouse when travelling.
    >
    > Agree as well. Any advice on a good wireless keyboard
    > with built in wireless mouse

    Nup. Using an MS keyboard. not very portable. The kensington mouse is
    cute. USB transmitter stores in the mouse.

    >>At home, Wicked cranking blue light flashing brushed ali case with 600gig
    >>storage on a PIV 3.6 in constant meltdown at home with Surround 5.1 and
    >>21" flat hi res CRT...
    >>
    >>I may not be in the 90% but I know when I need the notebook and when I
    >>need
    >>the big blue box. I know what the 90% would want if they had a choice and
    >>it wouldn't be constantly hunched over a laptop.
    >
    > Agree on above as well.
    >
    > I'm in market for a new PC...and have been close to
    > buying a laptop and using it as a desktop

    To answer the OP, You can come close with a good 17" PM 770 2.13Ghz. Big
    desktop CPU's in notebooks are bacon friers. Sony I have VGN A39/49GP
    (don't think model available US) has PM 770 hi res wide 17", ATI X600
    128GPU, 2GB DDR2 533 SDram. Good port replicator with great speakers and
    sound included
    in the price. Hang your samsung 213t off the replicator and get the best of
    both worlds. Black Sabbath on the Samsung, work on the 17" ;-) Extra
    storage via 2.5" 100GB drives in Ali slim enclosures hanging off USB ports.
    OK for video record considering a notebook. Works in travel and office. The
    drawback to notebooks as replacements is in the GPU department and storage
    read/write speed. Much slower on video edit. I stick with 5400 rev
    seagates 'cause I think they're reliable but regardless, notebook storage
    write speed and capacity from those little drives is always miles behind.

    > BUT... like you.... I'm a power hog!! I like the
    > ability to use a huge monitor and set back in my
    > recliner and use wireless keyboard and surf THAT way
    >
    > That's not so easy to do with a laptop as the display
    > choices are small.
    >
    > Matter of fact.....I'm thinking of going with a samsung
    > 213t for next desktop display....and its 23" lcd!!!

    Yeah! at home a different story! leather recliner. 5.1 surround with a
    thumping bass speaker under the desk totally drowns the fans. I like the big
    hi res flat CRT- 21" Viewsonic gives a nice picture and great for gaming.
    Sits on its own file cabinet on wheels. I never get to use it because it's
    the wife's machine ;-) I like the idea of a big LCD, but not yet. We have
    got a 40" screen that I havn't yet plugged in for Doom 3, but soon...

    > I've kind of come to conclusion that it's not an
    > "either/or" situation. There really are times when
    > BOTH are nice!

    Nothing's really changed. If you can only have one, you only get a notebook
    if you must be mobile. The bang for buck from a desktop and easy
    upgradability pisses all over notebooks. If noise is a worry, quiet cases
    abound.

    Dave

    > Hang your samsung 213t off the replicator and get the best of
    >both worlds. Black Sabbath on the Samsung, work on the 17" ;-)

    Yeah but a 17" laptop is big!!

    I cant imagine it being very portable when needed

    I'm actually thinking abt getting a desktop.... and
    using a Treo 650 cellphone/pda on the road.... rather
    than a laptop of any kind

    Advice on that idea?

    >> Hang your samsung 213t off the replicator and get the best of
    >>both worlds. Black Sabbath on the Samsung, work on the 17" ;-)
    >
    > Yeah but a 17" laptop is big!!
    >
    > I cant imagine it being very portable when needed
    > -
    > I'm actually thinking abt getting a desktop.... and
    > using a Treo 650 cellphone/pda on the road.... rather
    > than a laptop of any kind
    >
    > Advice on that idea?

    Look at function first, product later. What do you need it for? It sounds
    like wank but you do need to detail what you need the thing for then get a
    product or products to fill that need. Where there is overlap between
    PDA/notebook/PC you've gotta look realistically at what gives you the most
    effective combination. Maybe all three?

    If your situation is that you are travelling a lot without a car (so size
    and weight are significant) and you don't need to do presentations requiring
    a larger screen the Treo 650 looks like a great product- I'd need the
    stowaway keyboard - those buttons look tiny ;-) I use 1 or 2 GB CF's so
    would prefer that to the Treo SD or MMC for storage, but it looks like a
    great machine.

    For me the notebook 17" wide screen is good for presentations and a luxury
    for remote travel. The centrino not heavy (by my standards) and I need the
    power. In a plane I can flip the screen up and rest it against the seat back
    for comfortable viewing at head height- if a bit close. A lot of places I
    go to don't have TV. To me a 12 inch notebook is not much different to a
    bigger one for storage space- they'd end up in the same case and 5 or 6
    pounds is no different to 8 amongst +50 pounds of gear.

    If I don't have room for the Vaio when working it means I'm on foot. Then
    I'll use phone, GPS & voice recorder for notes plus DSLR camera. Rather than
    multifunction, each individual hardware item has excellent performance with
    the downside of carrying more 'gadgets'. For me they have to be as dust,
    shock and water resistant as possible. The Treo might fall down there. My
    peripherals all have good storage memory- GPS is a Garmin 76CS, so on the
    notebook I link my downloaded voice notes to the GPS log for time, date,
    location, co-ords and job duration. It means I've made a trip diary without
    any extra work. Reports can have a printed map just to be pretty.

    On the notebook replacing the PC. That guy in the 3 storey Dutch house has
    a very good point. There are some rooms where only the notebook will do, in
    that case with an optional sweet smelling magic-tree!

    Dave

    > To me a 12 inch notebook is not much different to a
    >bigger one for storage space- they'd end up in the same case and 5 or 6
    >pounds is no different to 8 amongst +50 pounds of gear.

    I see

    So that's why you go for a 17" laptop over say a 15" or
    12"??

    >If I don't have room for the Vaio when working it means I'm on foot. Then
    >I'll use phone, GPS & voice recorder for notes plus DSLR camera. Rather than
    >multifunction, each individual hardware item has excellent performance with
    >the downside of carrying more 'gadgets'. For me they have to be as dust,
    >shock and water resistant as possible. The Treo might fall down there.

    Yes I've thought abt the separate devices way

    There is merit to it cause as you say each separate
    device is more rugged and "tweaked"

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    >>If I don't have room for the Vaio when working it means I'm on foot. Then
    >>I'll use phone, GPS & voice recorder for notes plus DSLR camera. Rather
    >>than multifunction, each individual hardware item has excellent
    >>performance with the downside of carrying more 'gadgets'. For me they have
    >>to be as dust,
    >>shock and water resistant as possible. The Treo might fall down there.
    >
    > Yes I've thought abt the separate devices way
    >
    > There is merit to it cause as you say each separate
    > device is more rugged and "tweaked"

    You might find <http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2306p099id120342.htm> to
    be of interest. I really wish he had driven the car over the Treo
    though--I'd like to know the outcome of that one.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    >You might find <http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2306p099id120342.htm> to
    >be of interest. I really wish he had driven the car over the Treo
    >though--I'd like to know the outcome of that one.

    Interesting!

    Thanks for that link

    Seems the Treo 650 is pretty tough unit

    Good Lordy, don't ya just hate it when people hijack your thread and
    turn into something else. Suffice to say though, after 30+ replies,
    nobody here wants a desktop replacement. end of story.

    ---------------
    If your business is looking for quick free consulting,
    please ignore my replies. I only wish to reply to other
    engineers/administrators and home users who are stuck
    and not interested to give your business free consulting.

    Thank you.

    >> To me a 12 inch notebook is not much different to a
    >>bigger one for storage space- they'd end up in the same case and 5 or 6
    >>pounds is no different to 8 amongst +50 pounds of gear.
    >
    > I see
    >
    > So that's why you go for a 17" laptop over say a 15" or
    > 12"??

    No. Doom3...

    >> So that's why you go for a 17" laptop over say a 15" or
    >> 12"??
    >
    >No. Doom3...

    Ahh... so you are a gamer and need and WANT that 17"
    display in a laptop? Yes?

    >>> So that's why you go for a 17" laptop over say a 15" or
    >>> 12"??
    >>
    >>No. Doom3...
    >
    > Ahh... so you are a gamer and need and WANT that 17"
    > display in a laptop? Yes?

    No, the kids like it. I like the 17" most for movies and music dvd's
    whilst travelling but it is excellent for presentations- some work must be
    done.

    Dave

Laptops Desktops Product