Solved

Is this build addecuate?

Hi people!

I'm planning to build a PC, and I found this parts in Amazon and a little googling.

Approximate Purchase Date: Mid August

Budget Range: $750 Not more

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Some gaming. Portal 2, Team Fortress 2, Minor Image/Video Editing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard/Mouse and Display

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.com

Country of Origin: Mexico

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Processor:.......Intel Core i3-2120 Processor 3.3 GHz 3MB Cache Socket LGA1155
GPU:................Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Mobo:............. ASUS P8H67-M LE
RAM:................Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A XMS3 4 GB
Case:...............Cooler Master Elite Mid
PSU:.................Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt
HDD:.................Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Blue SATA III
Processor www.amazon.com/Intel-i3-2120-Processor-Socket-LGA1155/dp/B004KZDV8E/
GPU www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DKWLB4
Motherboard www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QF0VFO/
RAM www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002D11C6U
Case www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028ACYMC
PSU www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LB5AZY/
Hard-drive www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00461LT6S

I'm looking into playing games like Portal 2, Team Fortress 2, Call Of Duties, maybe some light video and image editing and programming, and I'm wondering if this setup would be ok. Especially if anything would explode :non:

So could you guys help me?, and perhaps give me some recommendations, I'd love to keep it under $750, and from Amazon because I live in Mexico and I think that's the only safe place to buy stuff from the internet that ships here.

Thanks in advance
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build addecuate
  1. OP Fixed, Thank You.
  2. As mentioned, you do not have a compatible motherboard for your processor. Corrected by OP

Also, I wouldn't order my whole machine off of Amazon. I buy almost everything from Newegg. http://www.newegg.com (I've heard that they ship to Mexico but have no idea if it's true or not)

Also, I would never use a 1TB HDD as a boot drive. Use it for extra storage and get a 160-500GB Boot drive. Your budget doesn't allow for a SSD, that is why I say that. It is better no SSD than too small of SSD.

That graphics card is a bit hefty for what you are looking to do with it. I have a GTS 250 in 2 of the machines I play Portal 2 on and TF2 (and some other games...sometimes) and it runs beautifully. You can't get 250's anymore but any $100-130 nVidia card should suit you well. (Don't bark other forum users, I will post recommendations later but, $160 on a GPU for a $750 first timer build is pushing it)

My recommendation:

If you are set on an i7, look into SB units (Sandy Bridge). They run much cooler and I have heard they are better for the casual user such as what you are looking for. I would also take socket 1155 because it is cheaper.

Processor....Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
    Mobo:.........ASUS P8H67-M LX
    RAM:..........Kingston HyperX 4GB
    GPU:...........EVGA GeForce GTX460 SE 1 GB
    Case....;......Cooler Master Elite Mid
    PSU..............Diablotek 750-Watt ATX
    HDD:..BOOT..Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB
    HDD..Other..Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Blue SATA III
  3. Fixed by OP. Removed by puttsy
  4. Thanks for your help, I fixed it now.

I think the i5 2500K will suit me better, and it's way cheaper than the i7-950
    I chose this mobo over the one you recommended me because of the intel P67 IGP
  5. Stay away from the Diablotek PSU I recommend a quality, 650-700watt unit from Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C, Antec, or Enermax. Don't cheap-out on the PSU! It is the only component that if it fails, can take out ALL of your other components!
  6. jgdames said:
    Thanks for your help, I fixed it now.

I think the i5 2500K will suit me better, and it's way cheaper than the i7-950
    I chose this mobo over the one you recommended me because of the intel P67 IGP

If you are going to use integrated graphics, why are you buying a video card?
  7. Because I want to play games, and with this setup I would be able to save power while I'm not gaming, this would also be my computer for school for the next 3+ years.
  8. To switch between integrated graphics and a video card would require that you disconnect the monitor from the integrated graphics port and re-attach it to the video card each time you wanted to switch to the other. The point is that if you have a video card, it will automatically power down for 2D use and back up for 3D(games). By having integrated graphics AND a video card, you will not be saving any power, unless you physically remove the video card from your system. This doesn't take into account all the hassles with having to change drivers.
  9. That video card is the se version, it is a stripped down version which will perform much worse. If you are looking to save a little power, look at a 6850.
  10. Don't use integrated graphics. Period. You will lose overall performance if you think you need to switch between vid. card and integrated. You really need to evaluate your computer knowledge and needs if you wish to pursue a future in them. Also, You would need to disconnect the power to your graphics card to see mutch power decrease and, it is doubtful the motherboard will allow you to use both a graphics card AND integrated graphics at the same time. Many consumer boards simply do not have this feature. Server boards do but, not likely the board you are looking at will. And expect to see it disappear in future BIOS updates...errr, UEFI updates.
  11. Ok, I assumed that the Optimus technology applied for all Nvidia cards.

I decided to change the gpu for a Sapphire Radeon 6850 1GB, and the Mobo for an ASUS P8H67-M LE
    Links updated in OP

EDIT: What about this mobo? Is it suitable, I think it is, but I want your opinion.
    http://www.amazon.com/MSI-LGA1155-Motherboard-H61MU-E35-B3/dp/tech-data/B004QGUXZQ/
    If it would work all right, I'd choose this one for international shipping.

EDIT2: Changed the i5 proc, for an i3, I'm sure it will suit me perfectly

EDIT3: Is the 650w PSU too much now? How about a lower PSU?
  12. Best answer
    Yes, that board looks good. And an i3 should be a great way to start this system.

nVidia Optimus is a notebook/laptop exclusive technology. It is simply not worth it for desktops. If you want a graphics card, use a graphics card; If you want integrated graphics, use integrated graphics.

Your PSU may be a bit heavy but, I wouldn't get anything lower if I intended to upgrade in the future.

Also, I would recommend nVidia graphics over the ATI you selected but that is just an opinion/preference. If you want bang-for-your-buck, ATI may be a better route but I generally stay away from them. Not because of anything but nVidia preference, Don't let this discourage you as others will directly contradict this but, if you are at a tipping point, this may guide you.

550W would be the lowest PSU I would buy. If you are on a strict budget, Corsair Builder Series PSU's seem to give a lot of people quality.

Let us know if you need any extra help!
  13. Thank you for all your replies, they've been of really helpful, I'll come back if I run into an issue.

Thanks guys. :)
  14. Best answer selected by JGDames.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Amazon Systems