Is It Time to Upgrade?

My System
> Mainboard : EVGA 132-YW-E179-FTW
> Chipset : nVidia nForce 790i SLi SPP
> Processor : Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 @ 2666MHz
> Physical Memory : 8192MB (4 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 x2 Sli
> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 PhysX
> Hard Disk : NVIDIA STRIPE 596.18G (640GB)

I am a gamer so with games like Battlefield 3 and Diablo III coming soon
I was thinking it may be time to upgrade.

My plans or to go with this. Processor..Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz.
And a EVGA P67 FTW 160-SB-E679-K2 MB.

Is this going to make a big difference?
Or should I just wait longer?
5 answers Last reply
More about time upgrade
  1. It's time to upgrade when you think your current PC is too slow for whatever it is you use it for.

MHz for MHz, a Sandy Bridge CPU generally has about 25% - 28% more performance than a 1st generation C2D / C2Q CPU.

Generally speaking, the Core i5-2500k would be better for games than the Core i7-2600k which costs about $100 more. The i7-2600k is 100MHz faster than the i5-2500k and it also has Hyper Threading (HT), however games do not use HT (at least not yet).
  2. +1 to jag...

I have an i7-2600k OC'd to 4.4... Most games only use 1 core. The 8 (4 real + 4 HT) do not come into play much. I onl;y have one game that currently uses all cores. BulletStorm.
  3. why dont you overclock your CPU? If your not comfortable with overclocking then yes, new CPU would be a good idea. If you can OC the cpu to 3.2ghz then you can wait a bit longer, new CPU's are just around the corner from both intel and AMD.
  4. I have the I7 2600K and I run 3 monitors. The hyper threading does come into use on games, not all. I play BO and I see that it gets used just when loading to next map.
  5. Thx for Replys :D
    Jag your right my PC has always played everything I have ask it to with very good FPS.
    I have had this chip for a long time...its just hard to see all the new shiny CPU and not want one.. :lol:

I may try to OC it never really tried to not sure how far i could take it on air.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Nvidia