Sign in with
Your question

Recommend a replacement for E2140

Last response: in CPUs
October 2, 2011 6:41:46 AM

I have a Compaq Presario SR5310F:
Pentium Dual-Core E2140 (1.6Ghz)
ASUS IPILP-LC/Lancaster8-GL6 Mobo

I have this:http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01297188&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3644727&prodTypeId=12454
for reference on upgrades.

My question is am I even going to be able to find another CPU that will work with that motherboard? I've upgraded everything else to satisfactory levels (Soundcard, GPU, PSU, Ram etc). However, figuring out what will work versus the list in the link referenced above is giving me headaches. Thank you for your help in advance.
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2011 7:44:14 AM

Now the Max TDP of that processor is 65W, which means the Board will support a Processor with a identical TDP to the max.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This would be a good buy I'd say, if you have the dough.
The reference upgrades do not list anything beyond what you already have in the rig, you could OC it.....
Or go for the Wolfdale and risk it. The 775 is a dead option, so it would be worth it to look for other options for the upgrade process.
m
l
a c 104 à CPUs
October 2, 2011 7:56:45 AM

C2D E4400 2GHz, get one on ebay if its very cheap for a small speed bump, else satrt saving for a new system. O/C on a HP/CPQ is not easy to do.
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2011 10:46:10 PM

Revision to my question. At this point the only original components to this machine are the mobo, cpu, optical and hard drives. In theory couldn't I just replace the mobo with something that frees up more cpu options, thus making it basically a frankenstein rig with a Compaq case? I realize I may have to get different ram depending on the mobo but that's not too horrible of a cost. I guess for that matter a new case wouldn't run me that much more either would it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2011 11:37:59 PM

jandslegate said:
Revision to my question. At this point the only original components to this machine are the mobo, cpu, optical and hard drives. In theory couldn't I just replace the mobo with something that frees up more cpu options, thus making it basically a frankenstein rig with a Compaq case? I realize I may have to get different ram depending on the mobo but that's not too horrible of a cost. I guess for that matter a new case wouldn't run me that much more either would it?

I assume your copy of windows is a compaq version rather then a retail/OEM from Microsoft? if that is the case, then your hard drive (HDD) won't work with the new motherboard (mobo). you will just get an error on boot up. you would need a new copy of windows ($80-100).

m
l
October 12, 2011 4:45:57 AM

Once I have a new OS, would I be able to wipe the drive and reuse it? Likewise I could swap necessary files over to another drive for backup right?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2011 7:25:40 AM

Yes, you'd be able to do that pretty easily. You can even use the Windows Migration Tool.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2011 8:34:49 PM

jandslegate said:
Once I have a new OS, would I be able to wipe the drive and reuse it? Likewise I could swap necessary files over to another drive for backup right?

correct or just buy a new drive and install the new OS on it. in your BIOS menu, switch the new drive as your boot drive, you will still see the old drive with all your old files.
m
l
!