Sign in with
Your question

Xfx 680i cr12j2 light no post or boot - brand new

Last response: in Systems
July 6, 2011 6:30:34 AM

I bought an XFX 680i Lt SLI motherboard to replace an EV3A nForce 650i Ultra, for use with Intel Quad 2 Q6600 CPU and OCZ PC2 6400 DDR2 memory. I'm replacing the 650i because all the USB and PS2 ports went dead. Everything else was fine, but no use anymore! I bought the 680i board brand new on ebay so I would assume there's no manufacturer warranty or anything, especially because it's not being made anymore.

Long story short, I have breadboarded and tried every trick in every forum I've run across to try and figure out why this machine does not post. It actually DID post maybe 3 times, but would suddenly blink off while I was perusing the setup screens. I even bought a new 650 watt PSU with an 8-pin connector just in case that was the problem. Of course, I also tried different things like making sure power pins and RAM were seated properly, changing video cards, using one stick of RAM at a time in each of the 4 DIMMS, tightening or taking off the heat sink... basically EVERYTHING I can think of. The only thing I haven't done is smash it with a sledgehammer - yet.

Does anyone know of possibilities for jumper settings being wrong? Remember, I can't even get into BIOS to check the setup. The usual blue power light is on the board, but there is also an amber light labeled cr12j2 is on when all fans spin, but no post or video.

July 8, 2011 10:25:50 PM

Man going insane, same crap just happened to me, i've done everything possible. Mine worked for months fine, I was changing bios settings all night and had no issues, last thing I did I went in to set all DIMM slots to 1.8v and it was fine, then out of nowhere it rebooted with no video.

Same thing, the 3 lights come on, fans spin, HDD clicks, video card fan was spinning high like it does sometimes at boot but didnt do the usual slow down, waited a day and now the video card fan sounds normal but still no video.

I've removed the cmos battery, did the whole pull the Power, move the cmos jumper over, etc. Tried booting without the cmos pins at all, in wrong spots, w/o the battery.

4 differnet kinds of ram in each slot, 1-4 at a time, farthest from cpu, closest, etc.

3 differnet video cards

2 differnet hdds or no hdd

there's a speaker somewhere on mine cause when i removed the video card pci-e power plugs it went berserk

Its obviously not the power supply, I also tried all the hardware in another machine and all was fine.

I even dug up an old S3 PCI video card, still no luck.

ebay purchaser too so i guess im SOL
m
l
July 16, 2011 12:06:25 AM

Update: Contacted XFX support. They told me it was dead, but there is no warranty on this board, so I'm out the $$ I spent on this dud!

kimistry said:
I bought an XFX 680i Lt SLI motherboard to replace an EV3A nForce 650i Ultra, for use with Intel Quad 2 Q6600 CPU and OCZ PC2 6400 DDR2 memory. I'm replacing the 650i because all the USB and PS2 ports went dead. Everything else was fine, but no use anymore! I bought the 680i board brand new on ebay so I would assume there's no manufacturer warranty or anything, especially because it's not being made anymore.

Long story short, I have breadboarded and tried every trick in every forum I've run across to try and figure out why this machine does not post. It actually DID post maybe 3 times, but would suddenly blink off while I was perusing the setup screens. I even bought a new 650 watt PSU with an 8-pin connector just in case that was the problem. Of course, I also tried different things like making sure power pins and RAM were seated properly, changing video cards, using one stick of RAM at a time in each of the 4 DIMMS, tightening or taking off the heat sink... basically EVERYTHING I can think of. The only thing I haven't done is smash it with a sledgehammer - yet.

Does anyone know of possibilities for jumper settings being wrong? Remember, I can't even get into BIOS to check the setup. The usual blue power light is on the board, but there is also an amber light labeled cr12j2 is on when all fans spin, but no post or video.

m
l
!