Need an RPG recommendation

Hi everyone,

My wife got me a GBA SP for Christmas, but no games. My favorite genre is
RPGs. So can someone recommend a good RPG, preferably one that is turn
based, like Chrono Trigger or FF VII (two of my favorite RPGs).

Thanks!
11 answers Last reply
More about need recommendation

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > My wife got me a GBA SP for Christmas, but no games. My favorite genre
    > is RPGs. So can someone recommend a good RPG, preferably one that is
    > turn based, like Chrono Trigger or FF VII (two of my favorite RPGs).
    >
    > Thanks!

    Golden Sun One and Two (two seperate carts)
    Final Fantasy I&II (both games on one cart)

    Also, Breath of Fire 1 or 2.

    Sword of Mana (action rpg)

    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

    Lunar Legend

    Phantasy Star Collection

    Shining Force

    Shining Soul 1 or 2

    "Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > My wife got me a GBA SP for Christmas, but no games. My favorite genre is
    > RPGs. So can someone recommend a good RPG, preferably one that is turn
    > based, like Chrono Trigger or FF VII (two of my favorite RPGs).
    >
    > Thanks!

    Of late there hasn't been many RPGs relased. Sadly all of them are only
    being released in Japan, but if you like in-depth gameplay then the Golden
    Sun series is for you.

    "Ice Wipe Inc." <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Of late there hasn't been many RPGs relased. Sadly all of them are only
    > being released in Japan, but if you like in-depth gameplay then the Golden
    > Sun series is for you.
    >
    > "Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> My wife got me a GBA SP for Christmas, but no games. My favorite genre is
    >> RPGs. So can someone recommend a good RPG, preferably one that is turn
    >> based, like Chrono Trigger or FF VII (two of my favorite RPGs).
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    Thanks for all the recommendations guys. After a quick search on the web, I
    noticed that the Golden Sun series has high review scores. Is it best to
    play the first before going with the second game? Also, how good is the save
    feature with these two games (also with FF I & II)? By this I mean, can you
    save anywhere? I like having this ability in console games, but I think it's
    even more important with a hand held system.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    I can't remember, haven't played it for years. Also, if you are a fan of
    the Final Fantasy old-school games then you should also look at FF 1 & 2,
    which are remakes of the 2 NES games which have been upgraded with better
    grapchis, new areas and added features and majic systems.

    And on a side note, watch out later this year for EarthBound 3, seeing as
    its being released soon in Japan and maybe the remake of EarthBound 1+2 will
    release as well this year.

    > "Ice Wipe Inc." <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Of late there hasn't been many RPGs relased. Sadly all of them are only
    > > being released in Japan, but if you like in-depth gameplay then the
    Golden
    > > Sun series is for you.
    > >
    > > "Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi everyone,
    > >>
    > >> My wife got me a GBA SP for Christmas, but no games. My favorite genre
    is
    > >> RPGs. So can someone recommend a good RPG, preferably one that is turn
    > >> based, like Chrono Trigger or FF VII (two of my favorite RPGs).
    > >>
    > >> Thanks!
    > >>

    > Thanks for all the recommendations guys. After a quick search on the web,
    > noticed that the Golden Sun series has high review scores. Is it best to
    > play the first before going with the second game? Also, how good is the
    save
    > feature with these two games (also with FF I & II)? By this I mean, can
    you
    > save anywhere? I like having this ability in console games, but I think
    it's
    > even more important with a hand held system.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:40:18 -0500, "Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for all the recommendations guys. After a quick search on the web, I
    >noticed that the Golden Sun series has high review scores. Is it best to
    >play the first before going with the second game? Also, how good is the save
    >feature with these two games (also with FF I & II)? By this I mean, can you
    >save anywhere? I like having this ability in console games, but I think it's
    >even more important with a hand held system.

    I'm playing both Golden Sun and Final Fantasy I right now (was playing
    GS, my wife got me FFI&II with my new DS for Christmas). Save
    anywhere is definitely included in both, and works very well. Of
    course mid-battle or cutscene is not included in 'anywhere'.

    Hard for me to say which is better yet - I've never played a console
    Final Fantasy game, so I have no bias, and I was pretty far along in
    Golden Sun. But I'm playing more of FF right now.

    Mike
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:40:18 -0500, "Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for all the recommendations guys. After a quick search on the web, I
    >noticed that the Golden Sun series has high review scores. Is it best to
    >play the first before going with the second game?
    Yes. The second game continues from the end of the first game. Where
    the first game ends, the second one starts maybe 30 seconds later in
    the storyline. There's some 'Previously...' explaination at the
    beginning of the second game, but you'll understand it a lot better if
    you play through game one first.

    More than that, though, you can import your characters from game one
    into game two. Once you beat game one, the game gives you a code that
    you can input when you start a new game in game 2 so that you start
    the game with all the stats, items, spells, and the like you had the
    end of the first game.

    > Also, how good is the save
    >feature with these two games (also with FF I & II)? By this I mean, can you
    >save anywhere? I like having this ability in console games, but I think it's
    >even more important with a hand held system.

    Its been a while since I've played, but IIRC, you can save just about
    anywhere (except in battle and the middle of cutscenes.)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@spymac.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:40:18 -0500, "Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks for all the recommendations guys. After a quick search on the web,
    > >noticed that the Golden Sun series has high review scores. Is it best to
    > >play the first before going with the second game? Also, how good is the
    save
    > >feature with these two games (also with FF I & II)? By this I mean, can
    you
    > >save anywhere? I like having this ability in console games, but I think
    it's
    > >even more important with a hand held system.
    > >

    > I'm playing both Golden Sun and Final Fantasy I right now (was playing
    > GS, my wife got me FFI&II with my new DS for Christmas). Save
    > anywhere is definitely included in both, and works very well. Of
    > course mid-battle or cutscene is not included in 'anywhere'.
    >
    > Hard for me to say which is better yet - I've never played a console
    > Final Fantasy game, so I have no bias, and I was pretty far along in
    > Golden Sun. But I'm playing more of FF right now.
    >
    > Mike

    Thanks for the info Mike! Knowing myself, I'll end up getting both GS and FF
    I & II. I think I'd like to start off with GS, only because it'll be a break
    from FF VII that I'm currently finishing up.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Two others you would like are Lunar Legends and Breath of Fire 1 & 2, both
    good RPGs.

    "Fatbob" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@spymac.com> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:40:18 -0500, "Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Thanks for all the recommendations guys. After a quick search on the
    web,
    > > >noticed that the Golden Sun series has high review scores. Is it best
    > > >play the first before going with the second game? Also, how good is the
    > save
    > > >feature with these two games (also with FF I & II)? By this I mean, can
    > you
    > > >save anywhere? I like having this ability in console games, but I think
    > it's
    > > >even more important with a hand held system.
    > > >

    > > I'm playing both Golden Sun and Final Fantasy I right now (was playing
    > > GS, my wife got me FFI&II with my new DS for Christmas). Save
    > > anywhere is definitely included in both, and works very well. Of
    > > course mid-battle or cutscene is not included in 'anywhere'.
    > >
    > > Hard for me to say which is better yet - I've never played a console
    > > Final Fantasy game, so I have no bias, and I was pretty far along in
    > > Golden Sun. But I'm playing more of FF right now.
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > Thanks for the info Mike! Knowing myself, I'll end up getting both GS and
    FF
    > I & II. I think I'd like to start off with GS, only because it'll be a
    break
    > from FF VII that I'm currently finishing up.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > Two others you would like are Lunar Legends and Breath of Fire 1 & 2, both
    > good RPGs.

    Cool thanks! I over looked Breath of Fire, only cause I heard some bad
    comments.

    The problem with a lot of these RPGs is finding them (except of course for
    some of the more recent releases like FF I & II).
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Yes, alot of the best RPGs on the GBA are old and since the others out there
    are only released in Japan(Tales of the World series for example), not alot
    to pick from.

    Of course there is MegaMan Battle Network series and the dreaded Pokemon,
    though they are not as good as the others mentioned personally.

    There are probably a few other classics I'm forgetting, but oh well...

    > "Ice Wipe Inc." <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Two others you would like are Lunar Legends and Breath of Fire 1 & 2,
    both
    > > good RPGs.
    > >

    > Cool thanks! I over looked Breath of Fire, only cause I heard some bad
    > comments.
    >
    > The problem with a lot of these RPGs is finding them (except of course for
    > some of the more recent releases like FF I & II).

Console Gaming Gameboy Games RPG Nintendo Video Games