Need an RPG recommendation

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 3, 2005 2:47:44 AM

Hi everyone,

My wife got me a GBA SP for Christmas, but no games. My favorite genre is
RPGs. So can someone recommend a good RPG, preferably one that is turn
based, like Chrono Trigger or FF VII (two of my favorite RPGs).

Thanks!

More about : rpg recommendation

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:47:45 AM

> Hi everyone,
>
> My wife got me a GBA SP for Christmas, but no games. My favorite genre
> is RPGs. So can someone recommend a good RPG, preferably one that is
> turn based, like Chrono Trigger or FF VII (two of my favorite RPGs).
>
> Thanks!

Golden Sun One and Two (two seperate carts)
Final Fantasy I&II (both games on one cart)
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 10:49:27 AM

Also, Breath of Fire 1 or 2.

Sword of Mana (action rpg)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Lunar Legend

Phantasy Star Collection

Shining Force

Shining Soul 1 or 2

"Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote in message
news:o 74Cd.2028$7n1.127553@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi everyone,
>
> My wife got me a GBA SP for Christmas, but no games. My favorite genre is
> RPGs. So can someone recommend a good RPG, preferably one that is turn
> based, like Chrono Trigger or FF VII (two of my favorite RPGs).
>
> Thanks!

January 3, 2005 5:16:24 PM

Of late there hasn't been many RPGs relased. Sadly all of them are only
being released in Japan, but if you like in-depth gameplay then the Golden
Sun series is for you.

"Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote in message
news:o 74Cd.2028$7n1.127553@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi everyone,
>
> My wife got me a GBA SP for Christmas, but no games. My favorite genre is
> RPGs. So can someone recommend a good RPG, preferably one that is turn
> based, like Chrono Trigger or FF VII (two of my favorite RPGs).
>
> Thanks!

January 3, 2005 5:16:25 PM

"Ice Wipe Inc." <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Of late there hasn't been many RPGs relased. Sadly all of them are only
> being released in Japan, but if you like in-depth gameplay then the Golden
> Sun series is for you.
>
> "Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote in message
> news:o 74Cd.2028$7n1.127553@news20.bellglobal.com...
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> My wife got me a GBA SP for Christmas, but no games. My favorite genre is
>> RPGs. So can someone recommend a good RPG, preferably one that is turn
>> based, like Chrono Trigger or FF VII (two of my favorite RPGs).
>>
>> Thanks!

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. After a quick search on the web, I
noticed that the Golden Sun series has high review scores. Is it best to
play the first before going with the second game? Also, how good is the save
feature with these two games (also with FF I & II)? By this I mean, can you
save anywhere? I like having this ability in console games, but I think it's
even more important with a hand held system.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 11:40:45 AM

I can't remember, haven't played it for years. Also, if you are a fan of
the Final Fantasy old-school games then you should also look at FF 1 & 2,
which are remakes of the 2 NES games which have been upgraded with better
grapchis, new areas and added features and majic systems.

And on a side note, watch out later this year for EarthBound 3, seeing as
its being released soon in Japan and maybe the remake of EarthBound 1+2 will
release as well this year.

> "Ice Wipe Inc." <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Of late there hasn't been many RPGs relased. Sadly all of them are only
> > being released in Japan, but if you like in-depth gameplay then the
Golden
> > Sun series is for you.
> >
> > "Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote in message
> > news:o 74Cd.2028$7n1.127553@news20.bellglobal.com...
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> My wife got me a GBA SP for Christmas, but no games. My favorite genre
is
> >> RPGs. So can someone recommend a good RPG, preferably one that is turn
> >> based, like Chrono Trigger or FF VII (two of my favorite RPGs).
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>

> Thanks for all the recommendations guys. After a quick search on the web,
> noticed that the Golden Sun series has high review scores. Is it best to
> play the first before going with the second game? Also, how good is the
save
> feature with these two games (also with FF I & II)? By this I mean, can
you
> save anywhere? I like having this ability in console games, but I think
it's
> even more important with a hand held system.

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 11:54:00 AM

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:40:18 -0500, "Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote:

>Thanks for all the recommendations guys. After a quick search on the web, I
>noticed that the Golden Sun series has high review scores. Is it best to
>play the first before going with the second game? Also, how good is the save
>feature with these two games (also with FF I & II)? By this I mean, can you
>save anywhere? I like having this ability in console games, but I think it's
>even more important with a hand held system.

I'm playing both Golden Sun and Final Fantasy I right now (was playing
GS, my wife got me FFI&II with my new DS for Christmas). Save
anywhere is definitely included in both, and works very well. Of
course mid-battle or cutscene is not included in 'anywhere'.

Hard for me to say which is better yet - I've never played a console
Final Fantasy game, so I have no bias, and I was pretty far along in
Golden Sun. But I'm playing more of FF right now.

Mike
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:56:04 PM

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:40:18 -0500, "Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote:

>Thanks for all the recommendations guys. After a quick search on the web, I
>noticed that the Golden Sun series has high review scores. Is it best to
>play the first before going with the second game?
Yes. The second game continues from the end of the first game. Where
the first game ends, the second one starts maybe 30 seconds later in
the storyline. There's some 'Previously...' explaination at the
beginning of the second game, but you'll understand it a lot better if
you play through game one first.

More than that, though, you can import your characters from game one
into game two. Once you beat game one, the game gives you a code that
you can input when you start a new game in game 2 so that you start
the game with all the stats, items, spells, and the like you had the
end of the first game.

> Also, how good is the save
>feature with these two games (also with FF I & II)? By this I mean, can you
>save anywhere? I like having this ability in console games, but I think it's
>even more important with a hand held system.

Its been a while since I've played, but IIRC, you can save just about
anywhere (except in battle and the middle of cutscenes.)
January 4, 2005 8:56:03 PM

"Michael Anderson" <txa1265@spymac.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:40:18 -0500, "Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for all the recommendations guys. After a quick search on the web,
> >noticed that the Golden Sun series has high review scores. Is it best to
> >play the first before going with the second game? Also, how good is the
save
> >feature with these two games (also with FF I & II)? By this I mean, can
you
> >save anywhere? I like having this ability in console games, but I think
it's
> >even more important with a hand held system.
> >

> I'm playing both Golden Sun and Final Fantasy I right now (was playing
> GS, my wife got me FFI&II with my new DS for Christmas). Save
> anywhere is definitely included in both, and works very well. Of
> course mid-battle or cutscene is not included in 'anywhere'.
>
> Hard for me to say which is better yet - I've never played a console
> Final Fantasy game, so I have no bias, and I was pretty far along in
> Golden Sun. But I'm playing more of FF right now.
>
> Mike

Thanks for the info Mike! Knowing myself, I'll end up getting both GS and FF
I & II. I think I'd like to start off with GS, only because it'll be a break
from FF VII that I'm currently finishing up.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:31:12 PM

Two others you would like are Lunar Legends and Breath of Fire 1 & 2, both
good RPGs.

"Fatbob" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@spymac.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:40:18 -0500, "Fatbob" <fatbob@spam.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Thanks for all the recommendations guys. After a quick search on the
web,
> > >noticed that the Golden Sun series has high review scores. Is it best
> > >play the first before going with the second game? Also, how good is the
> save
> > >feature with these two games (also with FF I & II)? By this I mean, can
> you
> > >save anywhere? I like having this ability in console games, but I think
> it's
> > >even more important with a hand held system.
> > >

> > I'm playing both Golden Sun and Final Fantasy I right now (was playing
> > GS, my wife got me FFI&II with my new DS for Christmas). Save
> > anywhere is definitely included in both, and works very well. Of
> > course mid-battle or cutscene is not included in 'anywhere'.
> >
> > Hard for me to say which is better yet - I've never played a console
> > Final Fantasy game, so I have no bias, and I was pretty far along in
> > Golden Sun. But I'm playing more of FF right now.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Thanks for the info Mike! Knowing myself, I'll end up getting both GS and
FF
> I & II. I think I'd like to start off with GS, only because it'll be a
break
> from FF VII that I'm currently finishing up.

January 5, 2005 4:05:24 PM

> Two others you would like are Lunar Legends and Breath of Fire 1 & 2, both
> good RPGs.

Cool thanks! I over looked Breath of Fire, only cause I heard some bad
comments.

The problem with a lot of these RPGs is finding them (except of course for
some of the more recent releases like FF I & II).
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 6:20:24 AM

Yes, alot of the best RPGs on the GBA are old and since the others out there
are only released in Japan(Tales of the World series for example), not alot
to pick from.

Of course there is MegaMan Battle Network series and the dreaded Pokemon,
though they are not as good as the others mentioned personally.

There are probably a few other classics I'm forgetting, but oh well...

news:o CRCd.363260$0f.306681@charlie.risq.qc.ca...

!