Yamaha CRW2100S

G

I wonder if anyone have seen a test with the new 16X writer from Yamaha? Maybe this is something for Tom´s Hardware to test!?

G

That is without BURN-Proof I think. Maybe it is times Tomshardware to comment something on BURN-Proof? Is it a good investment? Or should get what you say Yamaha 16x Writer?

stmok

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There IS NO SANYO's BURNPROOF or RICOH's JUSTLINK in this new drive...It is not a TRUE 16x drive...it is a 12x to 16x drive...Read the review from CDRINFO...
If you Multi-task heavily then BurnProof is a great investment...Sanyo will release their 16x drives WITH BurnProof...Otherwise if you burn Cds and leave the machine on its own, then you can go for the Yamaha 16x...

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I purchased one of these drives about a week and a half ago and have been very satisfied with its performance. I have a two drive system, and burn all CDs from the secondary drive so that normal OS disk I/O does not prevent the buffer from being emptied. I did attempt to burn 1 CDR from my primary drive with a few other programs accessing the disk, and even the 8MB buffer emptied quickly at 16x, and the write failed. Using the secondary drive, however, I have yet to see it fall below 75%, even during heavy multi-tasking. Also, I have successfully burned 8x rated CDRs at 16X, though maybe half the time I try it is knocked down to 12X. Either way, I can start a burn job and head to the men's room, and when I return its usually finished. One thing that does bother me is the noise. When reading CD's (such as the software installation disks) it is louder than the 6 fan Compaq server across the way. It would be very annoying if I didn't use my normal 40X CD-ROM for CD reading. All in all a very nice product, though I think the 50% cost premium over 12X drives may be a little steep for those that don't do a lot of CD burning.