Extra card...for physx???

ashammay

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
I currently have a PNY GTX 260 in my system and I'm going to upgrade it to an MSI GTX 560 Ti Hawk. Once i have the MSI card, I'll just have a GTX 260 laying around. What should I do with it to increase performance on applications like games, CAD programs, photoshop, etc..? Should I run it as a dedicated physx card or something? Possibly SLI? I really don't know. Also, I think I should include I have a 650w PSU running my system. If you have any question about other components in my system, just ask.

So what should I do??

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
A quality 650w should be able to run both as long as you aren't doing much overclocking on the video cards, especially considering a GTX260 running as a dedicated physics card will likely never be pushed heavily.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it without a well made PSU though.

A idling gtx 260 will not tax that psu hardly at all and most even the hottest cards tend to idle 30-50w for a single gpu while the gtx 560 will load yes but both together with the gtx 260 pushing as physx only will barely draw a little over 200w max unless you decide to run folding home or cuda apps on both cards then you will be looking at figures that will be of a concern but for physx only no you are fine with your current psu. I would know as I have done this a few times on my own dollar unlike those who only quote charts.