hmp_goose

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
That's right: I said "CRT".
icon_threel.gif

I still love my Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 200(s), and like not being married to a resolution, or having lag in my FPSs, and playing at 1800 x 1440.

But they are getting old, and I was wondering if anyone had anything on working on the innards. I'd gotten some stuff from Google about capacitors going bad, or else the soldering drying out, but I was hoping to hear from someone here on the subject, even if it's just the obligatory "High Voltage Innards: Stay Back!"

Solution
A visual inspection of the caps might show a few bulging ones, and on the underside of the board any solder joints that look grey and matt might need a brief touch up to get em all nice and shiny again and re-establish a good joint. Even though old CRT boards are nowhere near as integrated and throwaway as LCD ones, they are still pretty much a toss it when it goes bad kind of deal. They aren't designed to be serviced in any way by any one.
As for safety, unplug the thing from the power while its still turned on and you'll discharge most of the dangerous voltage, but still, its best to be careful unless its been off for a lot longer than just a few minutes.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
A visual inspection of the caps might show a few bulging ones, and on the underside of the board any solder joints that look grey and matt might need a brief touch up to get em all nice and shiny again and re-establish a good joint. Even though old CRT boards are nowhere near as integrated and throwaway as LCD ones, they are still pretty much a toss it when it goes bad kind of deal. They aren't designed to be serviced in any way by any one.
As for safety, unplug the thing from the power while its still turned on and you'll discharge most of the dangerous voltage, but still, its best to be careful unless its been off for a lot longer than just a few minutes.

Solution