Sign in with
Your question

Low CPU - won't go above10%

Last response: in CPUs
October 2, 2011 12:35:50 PM

Hi. I got my computer in I guess it was June... and it worked fine until a couple days ago. I thought it was a virus because I usually download TV shows from sketchy sites and I was putting off getting anti-virus software because sometimes I can be a moron. Well, I have a lenovo and the computer came with their one key recovery system and I restored it to they're original restore point: when I got the computer. I basically re-installed windows and started over fresh. It was working great for a few hours and I started noticing the same problems... just slightly better. What it's doing right now is running very slowly and the CPU usage won't rise above 10%. Basically, no matter what I tell it to do, the CPU usage remains at idle levels. I've searched for hours on the internet looking for something that looks like my problem and I can't find anything. And before someone dares to tell me that a low CPU level is good... yes, I know. But not like this. I keep looking around and seeing stuff that looks like my problem and the way people say to fix it is to not worry about it because low CPU usages are good and if you make your computer do something strenuous the level will go up... but mine won't do anything strenuous because the CPU usage will not rise above idle levels. It takes forever to respond and will barely even open the internet. In fact, sometimes when I click, it won't even open the browser because that's too much work. It's almost like 10% is it's top level and it can't work more than that. Can someone PLEASE help me?

More about : low cpu above10

October 2, 2011 1:02:20 PM

zobothehobo said:
Hi. I got my computer in I guess it was June... and it worked fine until a couple days ago. I thought it was a virus because I usually download TV shows from sketchy sites and I was putting off getting anti-virus software because sometimes I can be a moron. Well, I have a lenovo and the computer came with their one key recovery system and I restored it to they're original restore point: when I got the computer. I basically re-installed windows and started over fresh. It was working great for a few hours and I started noticing the same problems... just slightly better. What it's doing right now is running very slowly and the CPU usage won't rise above 10%. Basically, no matter what I tell it to do, the CPU usage remains at idle levels. I've searched for hours on the internet looking for something that looks like my problem and I can't find anything. And before someone dares to tell me that a low CPU level is good... yes, I know. But not like this. I keep looking around and seeing stuff that looks like my problem and the way people say to fix it is to not worry about it because low CPU usages are good and if you make your computer do something strenuous the level will go up... but mine won't do anything strenuous because the CPU usage will not rise above idle levels. It takes forever to respond and will barely even open the internet. In fact, sometimes when I click, it won't even open the browser because that's too much work. It's almost like 10% is it's top level and it can't work more than that. Can someone PLEASE help me?

Hi, try checking under Power Options, under advanced, Processor power managment, your Min and Max processor state.
Also make sure your cooling is set to active, not passive.
JC
m
l
October 2, 2011 6:34:46 PM

GozerHozer said:
Hi, try checking under Power Options, under advanced, Processor power managment, your Min and Max processor state.
Also make sure your cooling is set to active, not passive.
JC

Thank you for responding to me. Minimum is at 5%. Maximum is 100%. and cooling is active.
m
l
October 3, 2011 10:20:09 AM

is your harddrive active? sometimes I have apps that act strange and even if my CPU state is low my harddrive is running full and drags my PC to a stand still, ive had a few things do it to me and it takes about 5 minutes just to get my Task manager open.. you may want to try running a scan disk check to make sure you dont have a hard drive error, thats if your harddrive is running full, also do a Virus check and try using Spybot search and distroy.. its free.
m
l
!