Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from a Nvidia GeForce GT 220

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 23, 2011 8:53:09 PM

Hi - hopefully this is in the correct place (I've skim read the rules but it's been a long day).

I currently have a Packard Bell iXtreme M3720 which has a Nvidia GeForce GT 220 graphics card. Over the past 6 months or so, the card has been over heating to the point where the machine is only really usable for browsing the web/using office etc.

I'm loathe to buy a new system as everything else works fine and the machine suits my needs. Hence, the most logical option is to replace the graphics card. I could do a straight swap but it seems that the GT 220 is noted for over heating problems. So, the next best option is to get a new card but different model. This is where I'm stuck!

Simply put, what card/s are similar or slightly better than the GT 220 and would work with my system? I don't want to drop a load of cash on it nor do I want a lot of hassle - simply swap cards and update bios/drivers etc.

If you let me know what system specs you need then I'll post them up but in brief:

Packard Bell iXtreme M3720
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @2.50
Motherboard: MCP73PVT-PM (NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / Nvidia nForce 630i)

Hopefully, someone can suggest a few cards. Keeping with Nvidia is probably best but I'm open to ideas.

Thanks in advance!

a b Î Nvidia
a c 376 U Graphics card
April 23, 2011 9:03:07 PM

What power supply is in that system? I'm not seeing much info online. If you don't know you can open the case and there should be a chart on the side of the PSU.
Also will you be gaming and if so at what resolution?
a b Î Nvidia
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 23, 2011 9:12:46 PM

Your GPU is overheating,Do you know by temps or are you guessing?
Try cleaning it,dust buildup is one of the major causes for GPU's overheating.

We need a bit more information to help you.We need full system specs and the make/model of your PSU.

What resoultion are you gaming at and what games do you play?

What is your budget?

Related resources
April 23, 2011 9:36:53 PM

Temps at idle seem to be around 60 (checking just now it's showing 67), quickly rising whenever the card is utilised (video, games etc). Card has been removed and all dust cleaned from it, including around the heat sink. Whenever the system crashes the graphics card is too hot to touch and crashes can be linked to watching videos or anything that is mildly graphics intensive.

PSU appears to be a generic brand (Delta Electronics / DPS-250AB-22 D) with a max output of 250. Photo of the label at this link: http://www.bitzotech.com/Pictures/Power_Supplies/B6391L...

Gaming depends - I'm not going to be playing Crysis or anything of that nature but I do want a card which is similar to what I already have.

Budget - ideally around £50 up to a £100 at a push.

What other specs do you need?

a b Î Nvidia
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 23, 2011 9:46:34 PM

Well it looks like your going to need to upgrade your PSU in order to support a more beefy card.
It is possible to upgrade to a 5670 without having to upgrade your PSU.The 5670 uses about the same amount of power the GT220 does but is much faster.

MSI Cyclone 5670 $100(US)=$70(US) after MIR + $5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That site and the prices are Amercian so naturally the prices aren't going to be the same in your country but they won't be far off.

Do you have a preferied site and I can look it up in your reigon?
April 23, 2011 9:55:05 PM

If I upgraded the PSU what options are out there? Ideally, I'd like to keep it within the Nvidia family.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 23, 2011 10:08:18 PM

Well if you did upgrade to a better PSU you have lots of options.One of those options is the GTX460 but your CPU would bottleneck it.Really I don't think it's worth getter a bigger GPU if you don't have the CPU power to back it up and right now you don't.If you put a higher end card in your system like the GTX460 it would bottleneck it limiting it's performance.
I'd say just get the 5670 for now until your ready to do a complete overhual.The 5670 is still a good card when compared to the GT220 and I think you would be quite pleased.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 376 U Graphics card
April 23, 2011 10:09:12 PM

If you upgrade the PSU you can basically get any card you want. Then it just depends on what you want to spend and what makes sense for your resolution.
April 23, 2011 10:25:30 PM

Cheers guys for all your help and advice. It seems that I'm stuck a little between a rock and a hard place. The PSU limits options as does the overall CPU but it's not really worth spending the bucks to update everything, not least when I have plans to get a new system before the end of the year.

Think I'll go with a like for like replacement for now - less hassle and will hopefully get me through the next 6/12 months.
April 23, 2011 10:37:50 PM

Then the best idea would be a GT240, its the same in reality, but just quite a bit better.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 171 U Graphics card
April 23, 2011 10:44:13 PM

that power supply is really bad. If you are actually happy with the perfromance of that gt220 and dont want to spend much money on this system. first thing is - install rear exhaust fan in your pc to expel some heat. if that doesn't fix things get some new thermal paste and re-seat the gpu's heatsink with new thermal paste. You have already cleaned the dust from it so there is nothing else that could really be the problem. Your cpu is still pretty decent. If i were you id just upgrade the psu and vid card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... that psu will power up to a 6850 or gtx460 and your cpu would not be much of a bottleneck at all.
April 23, 2011 11:07:26 PM

JoshWS said:
Then the best idea would be a GT240, its the same in reality, but just quite a bit better.

I was looking at that and kind of tempted.

iam2thecrowe said:
that power supply is really bad. If you are actually happy with the perfromance of that gt220 and dont want to spend much money on this system. first thing is - install rear exhaust fan in your pc to expel some heat. if that doesn't fix things get some new thermal paste and re-seat the gpu's heatsink with new thermal paste. You have already cleaned the dust from it so there is nothing else that could really be the problem. Your cpu is still pretty decent. If i were you id just upgrade the psu and vid card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... that psu will power up to a 6850 or gtx460 and your cpu would not be much of a bottleneck at all.

Have been toying with getting extra fan and re-seating the heat sink - other users have reported it not being overly successful which puts me off slightly. Might be worth an exploration though, at least in the first instance. I'll weigh up costs when compared to a new GT 220.

I didn't really consider how poor the PSU is until I started looking at graphic cards. I guess that is the lesson to be learned from ready built systems - they'll always look to cut costs somewhere. Whilst you may win in one area, chances are you're losing in another.

Once again, thank you both for your input - it really is appreciated.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 23, 2011 11:16:03 PM

The 5670 is the highest calibler GPU your PSU can support but it is very cheap so it also a good idea as a temp card.
!