Solved

Is it worth upgrading my cpu from e5800 to e8400 or q8400?

I have a low end desktop (lenovo k300-5316). The mobo has no option for oc. I am considering getting a new cpu. However, I am tempted to just wait until I have enough money to build my own rig (which would be in a few years). In the meantime, I was wondering if it would be worth the money to upgrade my cpu. If I do upgrade should I do a dual or quad core?

Thank you for your help.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about worth upgrading e5800 e8400 q8400
  1. First question is does the computer support a upgrade? Second question is what do you use the computer for?
  2. These are my computers parts:

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/configuration/Configuration_list.aspx?CountryorRegion=&sn=es06826213

I am not sure where to look up to see if it is upgrading it ( I am trying to google it now).

I use my computer for gaming, labview, solidworks, and other engineering software.

I wish I would have just built my own rig in the first place, but the computer I was using ended up needing to get repaired in the middle of a project and I needed a quick cheap replacement.
  3. Ok so it is a pentium E5800 dual core std @3.2GHz. You will not benefit from another dual and the available quads for your system are few and expensive. I say leave it as is.
  4. There are some available on ebay for under 100 bucks.
  5. Best answer
    It all depends on what quad you are looking at needs to be a Q8400 at minimum to get noticeable benefit from the upgrade. 2.4GHz or slower quads will perform some tasks a lot slower than a 3.2 GHz Dual core.
  6. thank you for your help
  7. Best answer selected by mobius29er.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Desktops Lenovo