Best GPU for an Intel Pentium 4 at 2.93ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntr11023

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hey guys,

So, I'm still fixing up my old computer, but I finally got it running again. I reformatted the hard drive, got a wireless network card, and picked up a new sound card. We are in business! The main use of the computer will be gaming, so I want it to run as good as possible. But there's a problem. It has integrated graphics... from 5 years ago! I doubt that that will get me very far in today's world. The solution? I need a new graphics card. My computer has:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 single core @ 2.93ghz
4gb DDR2 RAM
250w PSU

Unless I can get a significantly better processor for less than $50, I do not want to upgrade that at the current time. So, my question is what is the best GPU for an Intel Pentium 4 single core processor at 2.93ghz?

I would prefer to stick with Nvidia because Nvidia cards tend to outperform the ATIs. Remember, the main use of this machine will be gaming.

I would prefer a card that could work with a 250w PSU (if such a card exists), but utilizing the full processor is more important. I can upgrade the PSU if need be.

I am on a very tight budget. I do not have the money to buy a new computer at the current time. My goal is to get the most out of my Pentium that I can.

Thanks for the help!!

EDIT: I believe I have a PCI slot on my desktop. Don't know how much that helps, but I thought I'd go ahead and throw that in.

EDIT2: The slot in my computer is PCI 32-bit. I now know that this does matter, as PCIe and AGP will not work.

Solution

Hmm, I figured you would want a DDR2 board so you could use your current ram and not have to buy new stuff. DDR3 motherboards are actually much more common at this point. If you want one I would recommend this combo with a GTS 250 which is a nice amount faster than the HD5670 and nice deal with the...

majin ssj eric

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Wow. That system is going to struggle both CPU and psu-wise. Your p4 will bottleneck most current gpu's which doesn't matter because just about any discrete gpu demands at least 300W anyway. You really might be better off saving up some money for a new build as opposed to throwing money away on a system that will ultimately never satisfy your gaming needs....

ntr11023

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Ugh! I do not want a new system right now! How many times must I say it? I've done plenty of research that verifies my system can run better than it's running right now. I want the most out of my current system, not a new system (unless it's significantly better and under $50). Of course, current cards will be bottlenecked by the processor. I was thinking about an older card. What is the best card I could get for my current processor, and what power supply would I need for it to run?

ntr11023

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

It's a possibility. I've done a lot of research on these cards, though, and NVIDIA tends to have significantly higher framerates in games. The idea is to get the best possible performance. There's no point in getting a new card if it's not going to outperform the integrated graphics.

ntr11023

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

So, that's about as good as my processor could handle? I've looked at it, and it's a good price and has a nice amount of VRAM. So, if I were to get this card, should I go after the 1024mb version, or the 512 one?

The amount of memory doesn't really matter on cards of this caliber but the speed does. So just make sure to get a DDR3 version. The DDR3 model is actually rather rare these days and most have DDR2 instead which is actually a big performance hit. You'd probably be best off just ordering the one I linked if at all possible.
The closest comparable Nvidia cards are the 9500GT and the GT 220 but both are a bit weaker than the HD4650 and use slightly more power. I'm also not seeing the DDR3 version of either for less than $70 right now.

ntr11023

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Ok. I have just one more question. The card you've showed me is a PCI Express. My desktop *supposedly* has a PCI slot. What's the difference between PCI and PCI Express, and will A PCI-e work in a PCI slot?

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
^^ i had that same card along with a celery on a similar system......

lets just say..... 10-20 FPS is what i averaged on the lowest settings in any modern game past 2006.

then i upgraded.... and i never looked back.

OP.. IIRC there was a Sparkle 8400 PCI that was made a few years back. Its very rare but somewhat better than the 6200 pci and theres also x1550 and x1300 pci's too if you can find them...

all of them are.... well... crap... but there ya go.

ntr11023

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

My system is an HP ordered from HP. I don't know the model, but I verified that the slots are PCI.

EDIT: Upon further research, I have discovered that the card must be PCI-32bit to work in my board.

ntr11023

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

I don't think that card will work. It has 2 slits in the gold part, but my other cards only have 1 slit. The slots in my board don't appear to allow for more than 1 slit. I did some more checking, and the cards have to be PCI-32bit for my board.

ntr11023

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

That's some good advice. I'll keep that in mind!

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

yeah a PCI slot will have the slit on the right side of the actual slot on the motherboard. anything that comes in PCI form will have two slits in the card itself.

PCI slots will look like this.

Pci-slots.jpg

ntr11023

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah, I no doubt have PCI slots. But I have several PCI cards that only have 1 slit in them. My slot is PCI 32-bit.

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

i just researched a little and the 64 bit PCI has a bigger opening on the right side of the slit. its longer than the ones pictured. and the reason some PCI cards have 2 slits is so its backwards compatible with the older 3v PCI which has the slit on the left. i also found this picture here which should explain PCI a little better

PCI_Keying.png

plznote

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
To be frank, But not ignorant, It is unwise to invest anything in the system. If you are on a tight budget get a used computer for $100-$150. It's just that the PCI interface is incredibly old. If you can't get a new computer just get what ComputerNugget.

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

its funny reading my own name.

I agree with a few points made in this thread, since this is a 775 based system as it is using ddr2 that you upgrade to a more modern board G31 or G33 based chipset as they are dirt cheap. Then a ok card for the job would be at the low end a 5450 while at the high end a gt240 but nothing more.

ntr11023

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Well, I've been looking a lot at these PCI cards, and none of them give any significant improvement over integrated graphics (some are even outperformed). I am going to get a new PCIe board and a PCIe gfx card to go with it. Of course, once I get the machine working somewhat, I'm going to save up my money and really upgrade it.

ntr11023

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Thank you for doing the research. That's very interesting. However, after reading some reviews and looking at some performance tests on the PCI gfx cards, I am going to get a PCIe board with a PCIe gfx card to go with it (shouldn't be more than about $100 for both). The next question is what kind of upgrade would I see by putting in a better processor (like the Pentium Dual-Core), what would be a better gfx card to go with it, and would the processor and *supposedly* more expensive gfx card give me a performance increase that warrants the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.