Sign in with
Your question

Building Gameing Rig help

Last response: in CPUs
October 2, 2011 4:33:49 PM

I want to build a gaming PC that wont bottle neck and have high FPS for games like witcher 2 and BF3.What mobo,CPU,vidcard and ram should I look at.I dont want to run SLI or crossfire.I never used intel but if its better then AMD I'll get it.
And would SSD worth getting for gameing?I want to spend 600-900 for build.thanks

More about : building gameing rig

October 2, 2011 5:02:54 PM

I would recommend building at or near the end of this year (2011). Simply because of Boxing Day and Black Friday - HUGE discounts.

**Due to the constant change in prices, I will not post any links.

Your budget (800-900) is enough for a Intel i5 2500k, a Nvdia 560TI or ATI 6950 2GB, 4GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 Gskill RAM (can probably get 8GB since prices are at a all time LOW), a 600-700W Corsair PSU, Antec 300 Illusion Case, a 500GB or 1TB Western Digital Black hard drive. I'm not very familiar with Intel Motherboards, but I'm sure there are plenty of users in forums that can give you solid recommendations.

SSDs are worth getting but on your budget there are plenty to consider - SSD is very expensive compared to traditional HDDs, they are about $1-2 per GB (that's 10-30 times more than HDDs) but the performance boost they offer is worth it. On your current Budget, I'd suggest getting a Curcial M4 64GB SSD as a dedicated boot drive and once you save up another $200, grab a Curcial M4 128GB SSD. What you will end up with is:

64GB SSD: Dedicated Boot Drive [OS + minor apps i.e Norton, Skype, MSN, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, AIM]
128GB SSD: Dedicated Gaming Drive [Only games]
500GB-1TB HDD WD: Movies, music, etc [Movies, music, other less useful misc apps such as iTunes, etc]

This will give you a very good performance vs price ratio, but it's still quite expensive. Depending on how many game you have, a 128GB can be enough as a boot drive + games; just make sure to store your movies, music and misc apps on your HDD.

~Coffee

Edit: ATI is lining up their Bulldozer APU and 7xxx series cards for release around Q4 of this year. Even if you don't plan to get them, their very release and availability will cause price drops on other graphic cards. Something else to keep in mind.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2011 8:05:47 PM

600 to 900 what ? Bananas!?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2011 8:47:57 PM

Duh, coconuts more likely.
m
l
October 2, 2011 9:00:31 PM

I have a Antec silent case and all ready have a 600watt Antec PSU but I dont know if its intel ready.Does intel CPU need extra power wire off PSU?
Its the mobo that im little overwhemled by there so many intel boards I want one that has good OC options and doesnt have to be sli ready.Been looking that the one that says 2000(OC)2200(OC)1866(OC) ect..since i'll be OCing CPU to 3.8+.Will 1600 be fast enough when I OC CPU?
thanks for all the help!
I have a 320 7200 HD so might go for 64gb SSD just for couple games and win7 only till i can get bigger SSD.
m
l
October 3, 2011 1:14:42 AM

shockwave972 said:
I have a Antec silent case and all ready have a 600watt Antec PSU but I dont know if its intel ready.Does intel CPU need extra power wire off PSU?
Its the mobo that im little overwhemled by there so many intel boards I want one that has good OC options and doesnt have to be sli ready.Been looking that the one that says 2000(OC)2200(OC)1866(OC) ect..since i'll be OCing CPU to 3.8+.Will 1600 be fast enough when I OC CPU?
thanks for all the help!
I have a 320 7200 HD so might go for 64gb SSD just for couple games and win7 only till i can get bigger SSD.

Your case and PSU looks good, 600W is more than enough for what you'll be getting. A i5 2500k is only 95W, a GTX 560TI has a max power draw of 170W and a 6950 2GB will suck about 200w. With everything considered, you should have at least 100w of spare power for future additions (i.e HDD, SSD, optical drives, etc).
I personally wouldn't recommend OCing because you'll need to invest in aftermarket cooler(s) and you'll probably need to get a new case with better air flow as well.
OCing can be worth it but it's simply too much work (i.e time and money involved), and there will be a risk associated with OCing too, very unlikely but still very much possible.
I would recommend getting a 32GB over a 64GB SSD as a dedicated boot drive since it's more economical, but unfortunately all of the 32GB models are from the previous generation.... which is why I suggested the 64GB. Make to get Curcial M4 SSDs, they currently have the best track record for reliability.

~Coffee

Edit: I've looked around and these mobos seem pretty solid for their price range.

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS P8P67 LE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!