Standard PDA software for DS

Last response: in Video Games
January 5, 2005 12:06:34 AM

Hi there,

can you tell me if there is something like Timeplanner, Adress Manager
or even E-Mail Client or Browser Software that
a) runs on the DS and is good or even
b) comes along with it by Nintendo.
It would not matter if it would require a linker and memory cartridge,
if would try to get one.
I have seen Pix with a watch and a Calendar like application.
Please reply if you know something working ist on the way or at least
there is something with beta status.
(Perhaps some linux guys will hack that thing. :-D )
cheers
Stephan

More about : standard pda software

January 5, 2005 1:06:08 AM

"Stephan M." <balu007@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> can you tell me if there is something like Timeplanner, Adress Manager
> or even E-Mail Client or Browser Software that
> a) runs on the DS and is good or even
> b) comes along with it by Nintendo.
> It would not matter if it would require a linker and memory cartridge,
> if would try to get one.
> I have seen Pix with a watch and a Calendar like application.
> Please reply if you know something working ist on the way or at least
> there is something with beta status.
> (Perhaps some linux guys will hack that thing. :-D )
> cheers
> Stephan

Hi,

So far, I've probably written no less than half a dozen messages on this
newsgroup saying that the DS is BEGGING to have a web browser and email
client developed for it. I'm definetly with you! :^)

If a decent web browser and email client was available for the DS, I'd
definetly use my DS for such applications over using my PDA's. I've used
PDA's to web browser and email for a couple years now - using either my home
802.11a/b, wireless network at work, or public hot spots. While it works,
its awkward and clumsy -- mainly due to PDA's single screen. With the DS's
dual screens, such applications could be developed very nicely. Bottom
touchpad screen, could be used for a "virtual keyboard" whenever text entry
is required. Plus, the DS's "simplicity" could also be a major advantage.
In fact, if I could web browse and email with my DS, I probably would only
use the PDA's from there after as just a glorified .mp3 player. Following
that, if decent MP3 player software and a graphics viewer (along with a
Compact Flash interferace) ever comes to light for the DS, then my PDA's
could very likely find themselves listed on Ebay. The only thing I use my
PDA's for is web, email, viewing pictures taken with digital camera (using
CF), mp3's, and occassionaly listening to Audible books while doing long
drive. True, there is such home brew GBA software that tries to do this,
but I'd like to see DS software that uses both screens.

As for PDA-type software for the DS, at least one developer (sorry, don't
know link off-hand) is currently working on such. If I remember right, its
the standard PDA-type stuff: calender, address book, tasks, etc. Handy, I
guess -- but not the most exciting. The DS has major potential as being not
only a gaming handheld, but also a cool little internet device. What would
be really cool if there was a CF interface (similiar to that "GBA Movie
Player") that allowed you to have as mass storage. Throw a 1GB CF card in
and you are set!

Not trying to a "turn a DS into a PDA", but would love to see these
applications with the DS!
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 1:54:46 AM

Hello,

> What would
>be really cool if there was a CF interface (similiar to that "GBA Movie
>Player") that allowed you to have as mass storage. Throw a 1GB CF card in
>and you are set!

This brings up a question:
As it is possible to play GBA games on the DS it should be possible to
feed a Memory card into the DS. Don't you think so?
Unfortunately I don't have one (yet) and have no eperience with
filebrowsing etc.
I am looking forward to buy the European DS and see what happens until
march.
cheers
Stephan
!