Standard PDA software for DS

Hi there,

can you tell me if there is something like Timeplanner, Adress Manager
or even E-Mail Client or Browser Software that
a) runs on the DS and is good or even
b) comes along with it by Nintendo.
It would not matter if it would require a linker and memory cartridge,
if would try to get one.
I have seen Pix with a watch and a Calendar like application.
Please reply if you know something working ist on the way or at least
there is something with beta status.
(Perhaps some linux guys will hack that thing. :-D )
cheers
Stephan
2 answers Last reply
More about standard software

    "Stephan M." <balu007@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > can you tell me if there is something like Timeplanner, Adress Manager
    > or even E-Mail Client or Browser Software that
    > a) runs on the DS and is good or even
    > b) comes along with it by Nintendo.
    > It would not matter if it would require a linker and memory cartridge,
    > if would try to get one.
    > I have seen Pix with a watch and a Calendar like application.
    > Please reply if you know something working ist on the way or at least
    > there is something with beta status.
    > (Perhaps some linux guys will hack that thing. :-D )
    > cheers
    > Stephan

    Hi,

    So far, I've probably written no less than half a dozen messages on this
    newsgroup saying that the DS is BEGGING to have a web browser and email
    client developed for it. I'm definetly with you! :^)

    If a decent web browser and email client was available for the DS, I'd
    definetly use my DS for such applications over using my PDA's. I've used
    PDA's to web browser and email for a couple years now - using either my home
    802.11a/b, wireless network at work, or public hot spots. While it works,
    its awkward and clumsy -- mainly due to PDA's single screen. With the DS's
    dual screens, such applications could be developed very nicely. Bottom
    touchpad screen, could be used for a "virtual keyboard" whenever text entry
    is required. Plus, the DS's "simplicity" could also be a major advantage.
    In fact, if I could web browse and email with my DS, I probably would only
    use the PDA's from there after as just a glorified .mp3 player. Following
    that, if decent MP3 player software and a graphics viewer (along with a
    Compact Flash interferace) ever comes to light for the DS, then my PDA's
    could very likely find themselves listed on Ebay. The only thing I use my
    PDA's for is web, email, viewing pictures taken with digital camera (using
    CF), mp3's, and occassionaly listening to Audible books while doing long
    drive. True, there is such home brew GBA software that tries to do this,
    but I'd like to see DS software that uses both screens.

    As for PDA-type software for the DS, at least one developer (sorry, don't
    know link off-hand) is currently working on such. If I remember right, its
    the standard PDA-type stuff: calender, address book, tasks, etc. Handy, I
    guess -- but not the most exciting. The DS has major potential as being not
    only a gaming handheld, but also a cool little internet device. What would
    be really cool if there was a CF interface (similiar to that "GBA Movie
    Player") that allowed you to have as mass storage. Throw a 1GB CF card in
    and you are set!

    Not trying to a "turn a DS into a PDA", but would love to see these
    applications with the DS!

    Hello,

    > What would
    >be really cool if there was a CF interface (similiar to that "GBA Movie
    >Player") that allowed you to have as mass storage. Throw a 1GB CF card in
    >and you are set!

    This brings up a question:
    As it is possible to play GBA games on the DS it should be possible to
    feed a Memory card into the DS. Don't you think so?
    Unfortunately I don't have one (yet) and have no eperience with
    filebrowsing etc.
    I am looking forward to buy the European DS and see what happens until
    march.
    cheers
    Stephan

Console Gaming Software Nintendo Video Games