20D lockup

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 11, 2005 8:23:12 PM

It happened today with a 100-400 IS lens (which is kind of interesting since
I searched a few forums and found others reporting the same lens when their
20Ds locked up). My 20D has the latest firmware (it came with it).
My symptoms were pretty much identical to what has already been reported
here ... the camera focused but the shutter would not fire.

I tried another CF, another lens, power off and back on again ... no joy. I
did notice one thing that I didn't catch in my readings of earlier posts and
that is the camera reported ERR 99 AFTER I changed lenses.

Of course, removing the battery and putting it back in fixed it and I shot a
bunch more with three lenses and no additional problems.

Methinks there is a subtle but generic problem here.

More about : 20d lockup

March 11, 2005 10:52:26 PM

> It happened today with a 100-400 IS lens

It happened to me from time to time,the only solution is remove lens put it
back and is working. Kind of strange

mark
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:51:36 PM

"mark" <emski@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> It happened today with a 100-400 IS lens
>
> It happened to me from time to time,the only solution is remove lens put
> it back and is working. Kind of strange
>
> mark

I'd read of the same lockup on DPReview from several sources, but I've never
had the problem. I shot all day at some auto races and never had a lockup
with that lens. And, until firmware version 1.0.5, my 20D had been prone to
lock ups, and still is with my Tokina and Sigma lenses.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

It's not the 20D, it's the lens. Do not point it at the sun. I had one did
he same thing on a Rebel and later read posts this was a known issue. Unless
I'm very much mistaken.

"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message
> It happened today with a 100-400 IS lens (which is kind of interesting
> since I searched a few forums and found others reporting the same lens
> when their 20Ds locked up). My 20D has the latest firmware (it came with
> it).
> My symptoms were pretty much identical to what has already been reported
> here ... the camera focused but the shutter would not fire.
>
> I tried another CF, another lens, power off and back on again ... no joy.
> I did notice one thing that I didn't catch in my readings of earlier posts
> and that is the camera reported ERR 99 AFTER I changed lenses.
>
> Of course, removing the battery and putting it back in fixed it and I shot
> a bunch more with three lenses and no additional problems.
>
> Methinks there is a subtle but generic problem here.

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 9:23:05 AM

I'm going to try this and see if I can replicate the problem. That seems
like an odd explanation. I know I've shot in the general direction of the
sun with no problem, but not directly into it...

--
"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message
> It's not the 20D, it's the lens. Do not point it at the sun. I had one did
> he same thing on a Rebel and later read posts this was a known issue.
> Unless I'm very much mistaken.
>

> "Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> It happened today with a 100-400 IS lens (which is kind of interesting
>> since I searched a few forums and found others reporting the same lens
>> when their 20Ds locked up). My 20D has the latest firmware (it came with
>> it).
>> My symptoms were pretty much identical to what has already been reported
>> here ... the camera focused but the shutter would not fire.
>>
>> I tried another CF, another lens, power off and back on again ... no joy.
>> I did notice one thing that I didn't catch in my readings of earlier
>> posts and that is the camera reported ERR 99 AFTER I changed lenses.
>>
>> Of course, removing the battery and putting it back in fixed it and I
>> shot a bunch more with three lenses and no additional problems.
>>
>> Methinks there is a subtle but generic problem here.

March 12, 2005 11:29:24 AM

Do not point it at the sun

if I'm going back in memory, you are right...this was scenarios shooting
with some direct light in lens
--
cheers :-)) emski
Anonymous

I don't have a Canon but I read somewhere that it's a problem with the
contacts on the camera and lens in that it is not connecting properly.

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 11:03:47 PM

> It happened today with a 100-400 IS lens ...

According to a Canon contract pro I know, this is probably because the
contacts on the lens mount are dirty and the 100-400 needs a fair
amount of power to do AF and IS, so it's more susceptible to this
problem than smaller non-IS lenses.

Clean the contacts with a dry cloth and see if that fixes it. I can
probably find the web site that discusses this if you want to read more
about it.
March 13, 2005 1:05:51 AM

Buy a fiberglass contact cleaner brush at local electronics store, and
GENTLY clean lens and camera contacts.
May not be necessary on camera that is fairly new.
It does wear surface oxidation slightly. If you don't want that, just use
pencil eraser, and alcohol on Q-tip after.

"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message
> It happened today with a 100-400 IS lens (which is kind of interesting
since
> I searched a few forums and found others reporting the same lens when
their
> 20Ds locked up). My 20D has the latest firmware (it came with it).
> My symptoms were pretty much identical to what has already been reported
> here ... the camera focused but the shutter would not fire.
>
> I tried another CF, another lens, power off and back on again ... no joy.
> did notice one thing that I didn't catch in my readings of earlier posts
and
> that is the camera reported ERR 99 AFTER I changed lenses.
>
> Of course, removing the battery and putting it back in fixed it and I shot
> bunch more with three lenses and no additional problems.
>
> Methinks there is a subtle but generic problem here.

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 5:10:32 AM

"((((0))))" <newsgroup@NSPMgrubor.ca> wrote in message
> Buy a fiberglass contact cleaner brush at local electronics store, and
> GENTLY clean lens and camera contacts.
> May not be necessary on camera that is fairly new.
> It does wear surface oxidation slightly. If you don't want that, just use
> pencil eraser, and alcohol on Q-tip after.

Personally, I wouldn't allow a fiberglass contact cleaner brush within 10 feet
of a lens mount. You may as well be using sandpaper.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 6:56:38 PM

> Methinks there is a subtle but generic problem here.

Four more lockups yesterday. It's not a dirty contact problem. Guess it's
time to call Canon.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:27:26 AM

"SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net> writes:

>Personally, I wouldn't allow a fiberglass contact cleaner brush within 10 feet
>of a lens mount. You may as well be using sandpaper.

There are liquid contact cleaners for gold electronics contacts. I'd
use them in preference to anything abrasive.

Dave
!