Closed Solved

Intel XMP Question

Under this data sheet, it states the only compatible Mobos and memory are as stated:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/gaming-computers/core-i5-processor-memory-datasheet.html

I am purchasing the ASUS P8Z77-V, not the Pro, will XMP still work?

Also, the datasheet recommends G.Skill, but I am purchasing Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz. Will Corsair also work?

Also, if I purchase the G.Skill one, will Quad Channel work on my Dual channel board?

Corsair LP:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233198

G.SKILL Ares Series:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231545

Thanks for the help!
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about intel question
  1. Yes it will work. If the RAM supports XMP, than u are fine.
  2. Both Corsair and the mobo is fine and it will work.
  3. I'm not a fanboy of 'Ares' because of the VCCSA 1.25v requirement, I like G.SKILL just not the Ares lines.

    XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile) is from Intel so you'll be hard pressed to find a modern Intel based MOBO that lacks XMP support. It's not plug-n-play and with your ASUS it takes a few seconds to enable support; AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP and use Profile1 in 9/10 cases -- Corsair LP only has Profile 1.
  4. unknown9122 said:
    Also, if I purchase the G.Skill one, will Quad Channel work on my Dual channel board?

    It will work as a dual channel.

    Quad is used on X79 Express chipset and Intel® Core™ i7 processor based PCs.

    Yours is Z77 and it uses the dual channel.
  5. Best answer
    ^I missed that part, but Quad works fine on Dual MOBO's, but Dual kits even 4x_GB don't always work in Quad MOBO's. The CAS Timings are often too tight (particularly in XMP) for Quad and require manual tweaking to avoid errors.

    QVL Lists - is a fraction of the kits that will 'work' and with the Ivy or Sandy Bridge CPU's it's best to purchase newer kits with a DRAM Voltage of 1.50v and that can run properly with a VCCSA/VCCIO of 1.0v~1.20v (max).

    Some ultra-fast kits e.g. >DDR3-1600 have 1.60v~1.65v BUT they still can work within the confines of VCCSA/VCCIO of 1.0v~1.20v. Though the gains for 9.999/10 folks doesn't pay off other than some obscure benchmarks (exception is a RAM Drive).
  6. Thanks so much for the responses y'all.
  7. jaquith said:
    I'm not a fanboy of 'Ares' because of the VCCSA 1.25v requirement, I like G.SKILL just not the Ares lines.

    XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile) is from Intel so you'll be hard pressed to find a modern Intel based MOBO that lacks XMP support. It's not plug-n-play and with your ASUS it takes a few seconds to enable support; AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP and use Profile1 in 9/10 cases -- Corsair LP only has Profile 1.


    What do you mean? You have to go into Bios to enable what? XMP?
  8. unknown9122 said:
    What do you mean? You have to go into Bios to enable what? XMP?

    Yep, simple: AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP and F10 (save).
  9. Alright, I can't wait to try it, thanks a lot for the help.
  10. Best answer selected by UNKNOWN9122.
  11. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory G.SKILL Corsair Product