Sign in with
Your question

Games crash to desktop at home but not at best buy

Last response: in Systems
July 6, 2011 5:30:51 PM

Ever since I built my computer I have been having issues with random bsod's and games crashing to desktop. About a week ago I took it to best buy to get it repaired. While the computer was there they said they fixed it. They said they were able to run crysis 2 on extreme for a day and a half and didn't ever have a single crash. I think it's something to do with my home setup. The only things different are the mouse, keyboard, dsl modem, and the fact that I don't have a powerstrip. Can any of these things cause that issue? If they can please tell me.

P. S. They keyboard is about 10 years old
a b B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2011 5:40:18 PM

BSOD generally are memory issues, I wouldn't expect there to be a difference between your home or best buy unless your home has an unstable power outlet causing power issues with your memory. You could run prime 95 blend test or memtest86+ to see if a memory stick is bad.
m
l
July 6, 2011 5:47:12 PM

Thanks I have been thinking it might be the ram but I just couldn't understand why it would work at best buy and not at home
m
l
Related resources
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2011 5:55:44 PM

A couple of possibilities:
1) Unstable power at home. A power conditioning UPS might fix that. A faulty power strip is an unlikely cause, but it should be easy to test.

2) Heat. Is it hot at home? Is your case cooling good.

Do some diagnostic testing.

Run memtest86+ for several full passes. There should be NO errors.

Run prime95 with error checking. Run long enough to get the cpu temperatures up to the max for an hour or so.
There should be NO errors.

Is there an OC on the CPU or graphics card?
If so, back it off, and see how you do.

Run your games without the DSL modem attached.

It's time to replace the keyboard. Regardless. Sometimes, sticky keys can send in spurious signals.
I doubt that is the cause, but if you are a gamer, you should have a good keyboard and mouse.
m
l
July 6, 2011 6:15:02 PM

They ran prime 95 for 5 days at best buy. What is a conditioning ups? Yes it is a little hot at home but sometimes the games crash to desktop after 5 seconds of play so I don't know how it could be caused by overheating.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2011 6:19:51 PM

out of curiousity, what keyboard and mouse do you have?

BUY A SURGE PROTECTOR
m
l
July 6, 2011 6:48:40 PM

Logitech mx518 for the mouse and an old Dell keyboard and I will buy a surge protector
m
l
July 6, 2011 7:29:40 PM

tph15 said:
Logitech mx518 for the mouse and an old Dell keyboard and I will buy a surge protector

You might want to get a small ups instead. It will protect against surges, but it will also condition the power which is perhaps what you need.
It need not have a long battery life which can be expensive. Look to APC. They have been in the business for a while.
m
l
July 7, 2011 2:11:29 AM

ok does the ups need to have the same/more wattage than my own psu because if it doesnt i dont want to spend a whole lot on it
m
l
July 7, 2011 4:25:46 AM

The metric of a ups is how long it will deliver power during a power outage. To my mind, only a few mintues to shut down gracefully is needed.
A customer with a 800w psu and a gaming system lasts 2 minutes on battery power.
Read the user reviews of this $50 200w unit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A more competent unit that can interface with your pc is this $107 450w unit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!