8800GT temp at 128 degrees

kevinnov64

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hello,
I have a 8800GT with a fan that has suddenly started running at 100%. I have installed the Nvidia monitoring software and it says that it is running at 128 degrees and the fan is at 100%.
have removed and cleaned the card to no avail.
The card is about 3years old and only gets a workout once every month when I play Crysis.
Any thoughts please.

Many thanks

Timop

Distinguished
128 what? If its Fahrenheit then your card is plenty cool.
If its Celsius, I would use something else, should've automatically shut down once it hits 105 IIRC.

Remove the cooler and reapply compound once again but do not reinstall the cooler just yet. As a reference 8800gt owner my self you need to remove the face plate then clean out any remaining trapped dust. Believe me there is some there even when you use compressed air unless you knew ware to blow and did so properly as there are a few spots ware it loves to collect. Be sure to try to clean the fan to ware the blades have a smooth surface free of dust to a reasonable extent. This will help keep temps down. The only way that temps do not improve at all if there is a defect either in the card or the cooler to ware there isn't proper contact.

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
if its only a temp sensor at fault just replace the cooler with a zalman vf-900 or vf-1000 and you shouldnt have a problem with overheating,,do this immediatly if its a single slot cooler or it will die.

kevinnov64

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi chaps,
I replaced the thermal paste and cleaned a lot of dirt from the fan and heat sink.
fan was still at 100% but temp then cylcled between 64 - 128 -196 -128 64C
After about an hour it gave up the ghost and expired. Real shame as It was a great card.
Have now replaced with a GT240.

Thanks for all your help chaps.