Katana thaco bonus for elves?

In my current game I noticed that my elven character has
a thaco bonus for katana just as he does with longsword -
I never noticed this being the case before (though it certainly
may have been) and am wondering if this is the work of
some mod or if vanilla BG2 gives elves a katana thaco bonus.

Kent

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001

"kevin" <completely@invalid.com> wrote in message news:<uHHZc.4888$Xi.963@fe1.texas.rr.com>...
> In my current game I noticed that my elven character has
> a thaco bonus for katana just as he does with longsword -
> I never noticed this being the case before (though it certainly
> may have been) and am wondering if this is the work of
> some mod or if vanilla BG2 gives elves a katana thaco bonus.

Is the Katana equipped in your off-hand? I believe you get no
proficiency- penalty for weapons equipped in your offhand. Try putting
it in your mainhand. I had thought the same thing at one point til i
figured this out.

"kent" <bachman28@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "kevin" <completely@invalid.com> wrote in message
> > In my current game I noticed that my elven character has
> > a thaco bonus for katana just as he does with longsword -
> > I never noticed this being the case before (though it certainly
> > may have been) and am wondering if this is the work of
> > some mod or if vanilla BG2 gives elves a katana thaco bonus.
>
> Is the Katana equipped in your off-hand? I believe you get no
> proficiency- penalty for weapons equipped in your offhand. Try putting
> it in your mainhand. I had thought the same thing at one point til i
> figured this out.

I didn't mention it in the first post but I was referring to mainhand
equipped weaponry.

I just created a new character - an elven fighter with no strength
bonus and proficiency points in katana, club, long, short, two-handed,
and bastard swords.

My base thaco for all these weapons in the main hand is 14 and
the adjusted thaco is 13 for everything other than club which
remaines at 14.

So, my elven fighter is getting a one-point thaco bonus to all swords
rather than just the longsword. From the manual description and
(more surprisingly) the Baldurdash Text Update I expected elves
to have a thaco bonus to just the longsword.

Is this how the vanilla game treats the elven (long)sword bonus?