Sign in with
Your question

Case for ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe

Last response: in Systems
July 6, 2011 6:48:37 PM

I've always bought Dell machines in the past as I like having a central place for support and feel safe with their accidental warranty... However, I'm looking into finally building my first machine...

I'm wanting to get the ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe motherboard and have been trying to find a nice clean/modern looking case. The two that have visually caught my eye have been the Fractal Design: Define R3, Silver Arrow and the LIAN LI: PC-X500FX Black Aluminum.

I'm wanting to find a case that works well with the motherboard. The motherboard has 2 USB 3.0 ports available that can be used for the front panel. However, the Define R3 has 2 USB 2.0 ports which is a huge waste and the PC-X500FX has 4 USB 3.0 ports which is 2 more than what's available on the motherboard.

My question is, would it be hard to upgrade the Define R3? On the PC-X500FX, the only options I could think of is to run a USB cable from the back USB 3.0 ports to the front panel for the other two or to buy a PCI-e USB 3.0 Front Panel Hub Kit.

Additionally, does anyone know of another case that has a similar design? I don't want an ugly cream colored box or something that reminds me of Alienware. I just want a simple/modern looking design design...

Perhaps I'm being a bit too picky but I would only get confused if I ended up with features on the chassis that were not functional and I don't see the point in spending money on a good motherboard when it's feature set is going to be limited by the case.

Thanks

More about : case asus p8z68 deluxe

a b V Motherboard
July 6, 2011 8:07:08 PM

How about the Lian-Li PC-9F they had in the system builder marathon in the $2000 category.
At $139.99 it's not overly expensive. It has a nice clean modern look and it comes with 2 USB ports at the front.
July 18, 2011 11:49:21 AM

Hi there rvilkman,

Whilst I'm still building it up, I went for the Lian Li PC-B10B Black to match the new Asus P8Z68. Whilst a little dated, as it only has USB 2.0 on top, yet it meets my needs. Simple. Stylish. Quiet.
!