Solved

What's faster for web searching: dual or quad core?

Re: Which will be better faster for her usage: An AMD A4 3300M dual core at 1.9, or an AMD A6-3400M quad-core, or an Intel i5 2nd gen 2410M 2.3ghz, or 2430M 2.4ghz?

I'm helping a friend who lives in Scotland buy a laptop. She will use it for internet research, word procssing, and the like, so she wants it fast for the internet. She keeps her laptops a very long time: Her current machine is 10 years old, so she is buying for the future. Her price range is $450 to $650. She may use the webcam in the future, and may use it for multi-media for meetings, etc. Looking at Best Buy and NewEgg.

Which will be better for her usage: An AMD A4 3300M dual core at 1.9, or an AMD A6-3400M quad-core, or an Intel i5 2nd gen 2410M 2.3ghz, or 2430M 2.4ghz?

Thanks for your help!
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what faster searching dual quad core
  1. Honestly, any of those are more than enough for basic web stuff, what would make web browsing better would be which ever comes with better ram and a faster hard drive. If they are all the same in those regards then i would go for the cheapest as there wont be much of a difference between any of those processors.
  2. Best answer
    hunter315 said:
    Honestly, any of those are more than enough for basic web stuff, what would make web browsing better would be which ever comes with better ram and a faster hard drive. If they are all the same in those regards then i would go for the cheapest as there wont be much of a difference between any of those processors.

Heck i am going to buy a i7 3960x hexacore and i am doing websearching 98% of the time. :D
  3. Any of them would do, but I prefer Intel CPUs, as they usually deliver better overall performance.
  4. I really think if she is never moves her laptop out of the house then i think you could persuade her to buy a desktop.

Really now a lappy for 10 years...
  5. For basic usage a dual core CPU will be fine. The CPU itself does not effect internet speed; that is determined by her internet service provider (ISP) and the type of connection she has. Intel CPUs have better performance than AMD CPUs even at the same clock speed. I would just get a laptop with an Intel i5-2410M which is a dual core CPU.

In terms of processing performance, an AMD Llano A4 APU would have to be around 2.9GHz to match the processing power of the Intel i5-2410M with a stock speed of 2.3GHz. In terms of graphics core performance, the A4 APU's Radeon HD 6480G is probably a little slower than a desktop Radeon HD 5550 video card. The Intel HD 3000 graphics core is slightly faster than a desktop Radeon HD 5450 video card.

AMD's Llano APUs packs a weak CPU core with relatively powerful graphic cores (for an integrated solution). Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs on the other hand has a powerful CPU core with a relatively weak graphics core. However, the Intel HD 3000 is probably 2x more powerful than their previous integrated graphics core; the GMA X4500M.
  6. jaguarskx said:
    For basic usage a dual core CPU will be fine. The CPU itself does not effect internet speed; that is determined by her internet service provider (ISP) and the type of connection she has. Intel CPUs have better performance than AMD CPUs even at the same clock speed. I would just get a laptop with an Intel i5-2410M which is a dual core CPU.

In terms of processing performance, an AMD Llano A4 APU would have to be around 2.9GHz to match the processing power of the Intel i5-2410M with a stock speed of 2.3GHz. In terms of graphics core performance, the A4 APU's Radeon HD 6480G is probably a little slower than a desktop Radeon HD 5550 video card. The Intel HD 3000 graphics core is slightly faster than a desktop Radeon HD 5450 video card.

AMD's Llano APUs packs a weak CPU core with relatively powerful graphic cores (for an integrated solution). Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs on the other hand has a powerful CPU core with a relatively weak graphics core. However, the Intel HD 3000 is probably 2x more powerful than their previous integrated graphics core; the GMA X4500M.

Jags know how to come in strong.
  7. ghnader hsmithot said:
    I really think if she is never moves her laptop out of the house then i think you could persuade her to buy a desktop.

Really now a lappy for 10 years...

I have a laptop that's almost 10 years old; IBM ThinkPad T40. It still works, but multitasking is limited.
  8. jaguarskx said:
    I have a laptop that's almost 10 years old; IBM ThinkPad T40. It still works, but multitasking is limited.

:D
  9. cahatl said:
    Re: Which will be better faster for her usage: An AMD A4 3300M dual core at 1.9, or an AMD A6-3400M quad-core, or an Intel i5 2nd gen 2410M 2.3ghz, or 2430M 2.4ghz?

I'm helping a friend who lives in Scotland buy a laptop. She will use it for internet research, word procssing, and the like, so she wants it fast for the internet. She keeps her laptops a very long time: Her current machine is 10 years old, so she is buying for the future. Her price range is $450 to $650. She may use the webcam in the future, and may use it for multi-media for meetings, etc. Looking at Best Buy and NewEgg.

Which will be better for her usage: An AMD A4 3300M dual core at 1.9, or an AMD A6-3400M quad-core, or an Intel i5 2nd gen 2410M 2.3ghz, or 2430M 2.4ghz?

Thanks for your help!

====

Most of the HDDs are 5400 rpm, but there is one that has 7200 rmp. Should she choose that one?

If so, there is a HP with a i3 that has a 7200. Would the i3 slow it down too much?

She does take it with her to meetings and when she travels, so a PC won't do for her.

thanks so much for your quick replies.
  10. Most of the HDDs are 5400 rpm, but there is one that has 7200 rmp. Should she choose that one?

If so, there is a HP with a i3 that has a 7200. Would the i3 slow it down too much?

She does take it with her to meetings and when she travels, so a PC won't do for her.

Yes, 10 years is a very long time, but her older ones only lasted 5 years. :sleep:

Thanks so much for your quick replies.!!!!!
  11. Considering that a Core i3 is faster than a Llano A4 performance should not be an issue.

A 7200RPM hard drive would make things load / save faster than a 5400RPM hard drive. It might make a 20 second difference when booting up Windows and maybe a few seconds when loading a program once she is in Windows.

I prefer to spending the extra money to get snappier experience.
  12. jaguarskx said:
    Considering that a Core i3 is faster than a Llano A4 performance should not be an issue.

A 7200RPM hard drive would make things load / save faster than a 5400RPM hard drive. It might make a 20 second difference when booting up Windows and maybe a few seconds when loading a program once she is in Windows.

I prefer to spending the extra money to get snappier experience.

What do you mean by a snapier experience?
  13. As it stated before... A fast hard drive will make Windows more responsive due to less time to load Windows itself and programs.
  14. Best answer selected by cahatl.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Quad Core AMD Dual Core