yasio

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
First of all, hi and thanks to read my post. Now, lets get to my question. I'm a gamer, I wan't to play video games like BF3, MW3, MW2, Diablo3, SC2... So I was wondering, wich one would you recommend to me, a Phenom II x4 3.4ghz BE or a Phenom II x6 1100T 3.7ghz BE. BTW, does the Phenom x4 (or even the x6 for that matter) has a good overclocking pontential on this MOBO :http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130608 and how does the OC genie works on this MOBO.

Thanks alot and have a great day !!!! :)

DodSno

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hi, Battlefield and SC both benefit quite a lot from a powerfull cpu so if it doesn't break the bank, something more powerfull couldn't hurt.

The phenom 2s are quickly approaching the end of their life cycle with bulldozer coming out before the end of the year (fingers crossed) so it doesn't make much sense to spend money on one. Unless your budget is extremely tight, you might be better off going with an intel i5 2500k which is only about 20$ more expensive than the 1100t and is quite a lot faster in most if not all applications. I'm not an intel fanboy, my current cpu is an 1090t and I am very pleased with it but given the choice to repeat my purchase today I wouldn't hesitate to buy the i5. If you can, the best plan might be to wait for bulldozer and then decide.

If you are set on the phenom 2s and plan on overclocking anyway you could save a few dollars by not buying the fastest cpu you can get (ie,get the 1090t rather than the 1100t) because your overclocking will more than likely make up any difference between the two. I've heard that most P2s to out at around 4GHz under reasonable overclocking conditions so it won't really matter if you start at 3.2 or 3.3 Ghz (1090t or 1100t) because they will probably both top out at about 4GHz. (My 1090t won't go beyond 3.9 without excessive voltage).

I don't have any experience with that board but I've never heard of an automatic overclocking program that could come close to a manual overclock. Tom's and other sites have all sorts of easy guides if you're not sure about doing it yourself.

What GPU are you planning on using? That will also dictate how much processor you need.

yasio

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Sick, I'll have all of my money at around december 20ish. I think I'll wait 4 the bulldozers to come out and I'll take a phenom 2 x6 1100T Because it should drop prices... Hopefully ! :)

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
was a leaked date for september, take these dates with apinch of salt until it's confirmed.

Though if you're waiting till dec, then hopefully you won't have to wait that long.

(Though Ivybridge from Intel is due out early next year!0

yasio

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah, but I
if I wait, I'll take a Pheno x6 1100t as I will not have enough money to buy a Bulldozer 400$