Sign in with
Your question

Unusual Beep Code -brand new componants

Last response: in Motherboards
June 25, 2012 3:37:08 PM

I recently built a brand new computer (2-3 weeks old) which was running fine but a bit hot, so I bought a new CPU fan.
In order to install the new CPU fan I had to take apart most of the computer. So after reinstalling everything and attempting to start up, my computer is dead-nothing at all except a light on the mobo.
I took everything out of the case in order to try everything one at a time. It is starting up now, but I'm getting a beep code that I don't recognise. Here's what I've tried so far below outside of the case.

1) PSU, CPU, CPU Fan- works fine, regular continuous 1 long and 2 short beep indicating no memory.
2) PSU, CPU, CPU Fan, 1 stick of RAM - I get 1 very short beep at first and 1 short (or long?) beep a few seconds later.
Searched on the internet and called ASUS and they don't know what that beep code is.
3) PSU, CPU, CPU Fan, 2 sticks of RAM- Same as above
4) PSU, CPU, CPU Fan, 2 sticks of RAM, Graphics Card-No beeps, Graphics card fan runs very high, no bios/flashes on screen.
5) PSU, CPU, CPU Fan, 1 stick of RAM in another slot-no beeps

So all of the fans are running, lights coming on etc. but I don't know what the issue is with the memory. Do I need to replace my already brand new memory or is it something else entirely that I might be missing?

I don't have any other memory I can try right now and there is none available nearby (live 6 hours from any city) so it makes troubleshooting a bit difficult if new parts are needed to test things out.

Additional Information:

Motherboard: Sabretooth Z77
Memory: ddr3-1866 (2x4gb) G.Skill Ripjaws
PSU: Ultra LS 600watt
CPU: i5-3570k 3.4G
CPU Fan: Zalman cnps9500at
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 560Ti

Also, when I start up, the fan will run for a few seconds and then stop, and then start up again and begin the beep codes.

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2012 1:27:40 AM

what is the beep code? kind of hard to tell from over here lol
m
l
June 26, 2012 2:40:57 PM

It was 1 very short beep and then a regular short beep. I figured it out, though, it seems like it indicates nothing of too much importance, perhaps a no video card indication? Also, when I had installed the video card, it seems like one of the cables wasn't attached properly, thus giving me no bios screen and no beeps. After assembling everything it works like a charm. Strange that Asus didn't know what the beep code was though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2012 5:49:25 PM

strange, i can't find that for AMI
there shouldnt be a no video card indication, there is an integrated on your cpu, strange
m
l
!