3 D Display

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I recently saw in Hongkong at a showroom, they were displaying a LCD ( attached to a CPU) and was running TR Underworld which ones seen from 3D glasses was running in 3D (awesome effects) and without which was blurred ( ofcourse).

Now I know that in order to have this feature you surely need a Graphic card with 3D technology , however my other doubts remained unanswered as I do not know Chinese and those guys did not know English.

1. Does it need the game also to be 3D compatible ? ( as far as I know I never heard of any Tomb Raider 3D version)

2. Does the monitor also needed to be with 3D technology or any monitor will do and all we need is a 3D glass ?

thanks

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Some games work better than others, and games will only work in full-screen mode, but pretty much any game that uses Direct3d (like 99% of games) works, although the menu's and HUDs on games not on the list usually don't come in at the right depth.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-games.html

That's the list for NVIDIA 3d vision, iz3d and tri-def probably have there on lists. I have some older games that aren't on that list that also work though.

I had the Asus VG236H + NVidia kit for a while and it worked pretty well on 2x460s OCed. It essentially has to render the same environment twice, so it maxed out both GPUs (100% from the start).

The 3D works very well on games that are programmed to use it (Just Cause 2, Metro 2033) but not as well on a decent number of older games. Most of the 'excellent' rated games look really good though. Age of Empires III was fun to play because it looked like you were playing with toy soldiers ;)

I'd wait though, because I found I didn't use it very often once I beat the few games that were designed for 3D. It's up to publishers to program more games in 3D.