After hard drive replacement Primary drive 1 not found

usaperform

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hello, After replacing failed hard drive in Dell Dimension 3000, when I try to boot it says Primary drive 1 not found. I have reset the known good used drive to master by removing jumper. I can go into set up and it recognizes it there. I have changed the boot sequence so it boots from CD rom and tried using windows XP disc to boot and still get Primary Drive 1 not found message.

popatim

Titan
Since there can be two drives on an IDE cable, the system needs a way to distiguish between them and so one is master (primary) drive and the other as a slave (Secondary) drive. Keep in mind a drive can be any drive, not just harddrives.

There are two jumper settings you need to pay attention to on IDE drives. The first one is the cable select jumper. If its on then then drives position on the ide cable determines if its master or slave. If the cable select (CS) jumper is on then the master position is on the end of the cable and the slave is in the middle.

If it (CS) is off - then the master/slave jumper determines if its master or slave and cable position is ignored. You will need to check to see if the drive has a setting for 'Single' and set it accordingly.

So from your description you have a jumper set wrong. Remember only 1 drive can be master and the other other must be the slave if you have two drives on one cable and CS must be set the same way on both drives.

If you only have 1 drive on one cable then check the drives documentation for how to set it up as a Single drive.

popatim

Titan
You said you removed the master jumper, unless "No" jumper is the correct configuration for a single drive for that particular hard drive then a jumper needs to be on either master, slave, or cs.

At this point I would suggest putting it on CS since its the only drive and you only have a 1 drive cable to go with it.