Solved

CPU running very hot! Help!

Last response: in CPUs
October 3, 2011 3:25:47 AM

My system:
i5 2500k
radeon hd 6850
Zalman CNPS9900 Aftermarket CPU fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Antec High Current Gamer series 750W PSU
Antec 900 Case
Asus P8Z68-V Pro Mobo

I have plenty of fans and all fans are fully functioning, everything is brand new i just bought EVERYTHING last month. My problems that i am seeing is that i just downloaded the Battlefield 3 Open Beta, and im experiencing temps of 70-75C. With my nice aftermarket Zalman cpu fan you would think it would be lower than those temps. I have never seen my computer go above 55C before this Battlefield 3 open beta. right now I have the stock thermal paste that came with the Zalman fan applied, it is probly not the best paste in the world so i'm replacing it next week. I just bought MX-4 Arctic cooling thermal paste, and i hope that this will help drop my temps. Any other ideas as to whats going on? Thanks so much! Please post battlefield 3 beta temps if you guys have them

More about : cpu running hot

a c 172 à CPUs
October 3, 2011 3:43:07 AM

70 - 75 C load temps are a little high.

Is your system overclocked? If so, decrease the overclocka little.

The Zalman 9X00 series coolers are, by today's standards, merely average (or perhaps a little above average) in cooling capacity.

Thermal compound? The stuff is not magic. The difference between "average" and "very good" isn't more than 2 - 3 C.

Application will make a biggere difference. What I do:
Suggestions for applying thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2011 3:43:19 AM

What temps are you looking at? Are you sure they aren't coming from the GPU? 75C is not ideal, but it's OK for a GPU. With a CPU, on the other hand, something's wrong. How much have you overclocked? Did you apply the paste in a reasonably similar way to this method? http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
EDIT lol nice catch jsc. Do you keep that review bookmarked too?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2011 4:16:21 AM

For me 2-3 C is a big deal but you have some other kind of promblem,
Im guessing if this is a stock clock reading I bet the heatsink is loose or lopsided
m
l
October 3, 2011 4:56:57 AM

jsc said:
70 - 75 C load temps are a little high.

Is your system overclocked? If so, decrease the overclocka little.

The Zalman 9X00 series coolers are, by today's standards, merely average (or perhaps a little above average) in cooling capacity.

Thermal compound? The stuff is not magic. The difference between "average" and "very good" isn't more than 2 - 3 C.

Application will make a biggere difference. What I do:
Suggestions for applying thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

my system is not overclocked, so something seems to be wrong with my CPU fan, would you guys recomend an RMA on the Zalman fan, and maybe get a COOLERMASTER or som,ething?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2011 5:31:00 AM

To much or to little thermal paste ?
Im not too familiar with the cooler
are you 100 % sure the fan is spinning the right way ?
I purchased my 212 and the fan was mounted on the bracket backwards when I go it, no joke.
m
l
a c 307 à CPUs
October 4, 2011 3:51:39 AM

Godofthegeeks said:
My system:
i5 2500k
radeon hd 6850
Zalman CNPS9900 Aftermarket CPU fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Antec High Current Gamer series 750W PSU
Antec 900 Case
Asus P8Z68-V Pro Mobo

I have plenty of fans and all fans are fully functioning, everything is brand new i just bought EVERYTHING last month. My problems that i am seeing is that i just downloaded the Battlefield 3 Open Beta, and im experiencing temps of 70-75C. With my nice aftermarket Zalman cpu fan you would think it would be lower than those temps. I have never seen my computer go above 55C before this Battlefield 3 open beta. right now I have the stock thermal paste that came with the Zalman fan applied, it is probly not the best paste in the world so i'm replacing it next week. I just bought MX-4 Arctic cooling thermal paste, and i hope that this will help drop my temps. Any other ideas as to whats going on? Thanks so much! Please post battlefield 3 beta temps if you guys have them

I too made the mistake of using the Zalman thermal grease on my Zalman cooler. My Phenon II X4 980BE was always running hot. I replaced the thermal grease with my old standby, Arctic Silver 5. The temps dropped significantly! Big time significantly... 8-10 degrees C on my first run of Prime95.
Be sure to follow the directions and use the Cleaner and Purifier first. Then tin both surfaces with the AS5 before the final application. You'll be in good shape.
m
l
October 14, 2011 6:34:03 AM

I returned the zalman and bought the new coolermaster 212 Evo. the coolermaster 212 evo keeps me at idle 29-35, and at full load 100% on prime95 i dont go over 56C. 56C on prime 95 compared to the zalman was 80C in prime95. I also purchased Arctic Cooling Mx-4 thermal paste, its supposed to be newer and better than Arctic silver 5. ANYONE LOOKING FOR A GREAT AFETERMARKET CPU FAN, GET THE "COOLERMASTER 212 EVO" off of Newegg.com for 35$, its an amazing cpu fan and you will not regret the purchase, one of the best fans you can buy without watercooling.
m
l
October 14, 2011 6:36:26 AM

by the way during intense gaming like the battlefield 3 beta or other fps games, the CM EVO keeps my temps below 45C. it never goes above 45 unless running prime95.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 14, 2011 12:06:58 PM

Great to hear, I really like my CM 212+ that sounds like a great upgrade.
now to overclock.
October 24, 2011 2:13:47 AM

Best answer selected by Godofthegeeks.
m
l
!