How on earth do i uses this anti static wrist strap?

omoplata

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Tomorrow i will be building my own PC for the first time. In the past i have changed out simple things like RAM and graphics cards however i have never taken on a task as large as building a whole computer. Most of the tutorials that i have watched recommend that i use an Electrostatic wrist strap but few give good explanations on how to use it. I understand that i need to hook the alligator clip to grounded metal so that static electricity is seeped out of me and into the ground instead of into my hardware.

However this leaves me to wonder what exactly grounded metal is. Ive been searching forums online for a bit now and it seems that everyone has a different answer. Some people say you should leave your PSU plugged in and ground yourself to that. Others say to just hook your clip to your case. Ive even read that if my case is painted it wont work. Ive read that you should connect yourself to the screw on your wall outlet.

Any real advice on how to properly use this thing would be much appreciated.

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
You don't. The only reason why you might want to wear it is because you are avoiding damaging sensitive parts of your computer. The static discharge from your hands can damage stuff such as the RAM and CPU. You DO NOT ABSOLUTELY need one, you can touch the side of your computer case (metal part that is non painted) and that works fine. But remember to do it often...since forgetting to touch could mean making your $150 CPU not work

omoplata

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

im getting about 7 different pieces including the case and putting them all together my self. That includes the Motherboard, the RAM, the PSU, DVD burner, graphics card...ect

EDIT: nvm didnt read your post right. ty for the advice.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished
ahh, i havent used on either and havent had problems either, but i geuss it is better to be safe than sorry. (although leaning on your case/tapping your case every so often on an unpainted area of it would do the same job).

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
If you are lazy like me and do a lot of swapping out or tweaking inside your system on the CARPET, wrist strap is very handy, even though I still lick my finger and touch the inside of the case regularly. And I usually hook the clip to the inside of the case for grounding.