Video card and Capture card in one

jonathan1988

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi I have my nvidia 8400gs 1gb installed on my computer so that i can use my TV as a monitor via hdmi cable. I also need a capture card but i only have one pci express slot. Are there any cards that are 2 in 1? Basically a video and capture card together with hdmi ports.

This is a capture device. It will enable you to capture and edit video or TV programs.

This is what I have: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr1950.html
I went for this 'External Capture' device because I have used up my PCI slots, and I want the capability of transferring the device from desktop to desktop. Currently, I shuttle it between 2 desktops. Hauppauge is a reputable brand. It is listed here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=hauppauge&x=9&y=30
Look for HVR-1950

jonathan1988

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Thx for your advice. I went ahead and got the hauppauge colossus. I realized it used the pci-e x1 slot and i had an available one. Now that i have it installed and working perfectly, I do have one concern. When capturing video or playing the captured video the cpu goes to 100%. Is this normal? Do i need to upgrade my motherboard? I have an AMD Athlon 64 processor 3800+. 2.41 ghz and 1gb of ram. I am a newb at this stuff but i want to learn!!

Video capture work is generally CPU intensive, and time consuming. Whether the CPU usage goes to 100% or not depends on specific motherboards. As long as the temps are not excessive and as long as the computer does not BSOD, you are ok. For your information, my first video capture work was done on a Dell Dimension 4600 with a Pentium 4 processor. It was awfully slow, but worked fine. Since everything worked fine, I never checked the CPU usage. The capture on my i7 computer runs much faster, but still it is time consuming. That is part of the process.

Glad to note that the Hauppauge card is working well for you!

austinmc7

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014

You can get a external capture card (like an elgoto) and it will work just fine.