Solved

Routers

Want to add a linksy router (N) to a telus gateway router / mosem (Siemens)....to increase speed......is this possible?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about routers
  1. If the bottleneck is the existing router you'd want to remove that and replace it with the new unit if possible, not add.
  2. It could work if you hook it up as a Access Point. Just disable DHCP and change the internal IP to an available one that matches your current IP scheme (ex. 192.168.1.253). Connect it using one of the 4 LAN ports. Setup the wireless security before connecting it to the network.
  3. Can I disablle the wireless router of the Telus gateway and add Linksky wireless router (N).........
  4. It could work if you hook it up as a Access Point. Just disable DHCP and change the internal IP to an available one that matches your current IP scheme (ex. 192.168.1.253). Connect it using one of the 4 LAN ports. Setup the wireless security before connecting it to the network.[/quotems

Telus gateway running on G want to use N......
  5. "Can I disablle the wireless router of the Telus gateway and add Linksky wireless router (N)......... "

You sure can
  6. Emerald said:
    "Can I disablle the wireless router of the Telus gateway and add Linksky wireless router (N)......... "

You sure can

Do I need to register Mac address with Telus or can I connect the router without doing that.........
  7. should work without registering the MAC address
  8. If I add the N router as an access point to the Telus router / moden (G) will info travell at N speed or remain at G
  9. Best answer
    Your speed would remain at G speed because that is the fastest that router can possablly go. With that said adding a N router as an access point to your Telus router WILL NOT make your network faster. Depending on the placement the best you could do is increase the range of your network.

To increase the speed of your network what you want to do is what was suggested by emerald earlier. Which was to disable the Telus G router (disconnect everything, all ethernet, and WAN connections) and replace it with your new N router (reconnect everything and then configure the network to your liking). Then and ONLY then will your network reach N speeds.

Hope this helps! :)
  10. Best answer selected by jkwine.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Gateway Telus Siemens Networking