Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Routers

Last response: in Networking
September 12, 2010 5:50:40 AM

Want to add a linksy router (N) to a telus gateway router / mosem (Siemens)....to increase speed......is this possible?

More about : routers

Anonymous
September 12, 2010 8:14:52 AM

If the bottleneck is the existing router you'd want to remove that and replace it with the new unit if possible, not add.
m
l
September 12, 2010 8:16:31 AM

It could work if you hook it up as a Access Point. Just disable DHCP and change the internal IP to an available one that matches your current IP scheme (ex. 192.168.1.253). Connect it using one of the 4 LAN ports. Setup the wireless security before connecting it to the network.
m
l
Related resources
September 12, 2010 6:21:24 PM

Can I disablle the wireless router of the Telus gateway and add Linksky wireless router (N).........
m
l
September 12, 2010 6:24:57 PM

115365,3,55750 said:
It could work if you hook it up as a Access Point. Just disable DHCP and change the internal IP to an available one that matches your current IP scheme (ex. 192.168.1.253). Connect it using one of the 4 LAN ports. Setup the wireless security before connecting it to the network.[/quotems

Telus gateway running on G want to use N......
m
l
September 12, 2010 8:41:57 PM

"Can I disablle the wireless router of the Telus gateway and add Linksky wireless router (N)......... "

You sure can
m
l
September 14, 2010 6:37:01 AM

Emerald said:
"Can I disablle the wireless router of the Telus gateway and add Linksky wireless router (N)......... "

You sure can

Do I need to register Mac address with Telus or can I connect the router without doing that.........
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:10:27 AM

should work without registering the MAC address
m
l
September 22, 2010 2:10:02 AM

If I add the N router as an access point to the Telus router / moden (G) will info travell at N speed or remain at G
m
l

Best solution

September 22, 2010 7:41:01 AM

Your speed would remain at G speed because that is the fastest that router can possablly go. With that said adding a N router as an access point to your Telus router WILL NOT make your network faster. Depending on the placement the best you could do is increase the range of your network.

To increase the speed of your network what you want to do is what was suggested by emerald earlier. Which was to disable the Telus G router (disconnect everything, all ethernet, and WAN connections) and replace it with your new N router (reconnect everything and then configure the network to your liking). Then and ONLY then will your network reach N speeds.

Hope this helps! :) 
October 1, 2010 2:51:40 AM

Best answer selected by jkwine.
m
l
!