I7-2600k Overclocking Problem.

Gorethox

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
So, I recently got a new build and put in, as the title might suggest, an i7-2600k. Now, I went through all the guides to overclock it and it is SUPPOSED to be overclocked, according to the bios. However, whenever I use frequency testers, they show the clock is at stock speeds. Now, the CPU runs hotter, and the CPU-ID shows that it's clocked at a 4.5 GHz speed, so I figure it has to be overclocked at this point. However, I'm unsure. Did I do something wrong in the process, or is this normal?
P.s, the board is a gigabyte, if that'll make a difference.
Thanks for the help guys!

Solution
I don't know what frequency testers you used, but CPU-Z is accurate.

Some programs just show the processor ID along with the stock speed that goes along with it. If I go into Control panel/System
Windows shows my speed to be 2.67ghz when I have my processor overclocked to 3.8ghz.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I don't know what frequency testers you used, but CPU-Z is accurate.

Some programs just show the processor ID along with the stock speed that goes along with it. If I go into Control panel/System
Windows shows my speed to be 2.67ghz when I have my processor overclocked to 3.8ghz.

Solution

Gorethox

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Alright, I thought it might just be the programs looking at the CPU's ID and not actually testing the speeds of the processor. Are there any other programs that will actually test the CPU's speed? I just always hold it as a rule of thumb to get data from two sources, and not just one.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

CPU-Z is usually very accurate, but realtemp or HWmonitor should also check.

Realtemp isn't as good for checking speed, it just shows the core clock, but the good part of it is the temperature monitor. Make sure you keep that processor under 70C by a few degrees.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Oops, that might have been a brainfart. I don't specifically remember cpu speeds in it, now that I think about it. :sweat:

I need some sleep been up for too long.