Cross-fire or one videocard?

Ok so here what happened, i bought a video card awhile ago with the intention of buying the exact same one and preforming cross fire, But i waited to long and now the video card is no longer in production, and the only place i can find it is on some creepy website where i dont want to spend $300+

So i want to just buy a new video card. but i was wondering if it is better to get 2 video cards and preform cross-fire, or should i buy just one video card

i was thinking so the specs along the lines of this: 2x 1Gb DDR5 800 stream prosessing units or 1GB DDR5 1600stream prosessing units.

also my case:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197
and PSU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009
also my case is loaded with high powered Fans and is very cool inside.
if you find a video card that you think i might want, the budget is $250-$300

please ask if you need any more spec or questions.
Thank you
12 answers Last reply
More about cross fire videocard
  1. Same issue, lemme guess Sapphire hd5850 2gb. Got a 1gb of Ebay on the way to see what it does. 5870's are too long for my storm case as I am sure it is for yours.
    However I question the upgrade @ all as the single card runs Crysis 2 on Extreme settings @ 60hz no problem. Only time it drops is the loading screen which isnt sending that many frames so go figure.
    Second issue I have is card spacing, all cards are now 2-slots. Why then are PCIe slots spaced every other? If it was every 3rd it would be perfect, or if the cards were 1 1/2-slot it would work, dont the designers of these things build PC's any more.
    Third issue I have is games are getting to the point that they are ported from console to PC, where it used to be the other way around. I have all 3 consoles and the 3ds, so why not just play it on the console if it was made for the console? No controller configs to deal with or WSAD, etc.. The ~console is also dissappearing, so almost no benefit to getting the PC version anymore. Its sad really.
  2. At that price you are better CF 2 6850, their performance in pair are the same as 2 5850 due to scaling improvement. You can have the 2 for around 340$ for new. I f you check for a bargain, you could even find a cheaper price.
  3. had crossfire 6870s drivers worked like ***, the problems were consistent across several drivers and games; low minimum fps and sporadic micro-stutter not to mention flickering. I could go on all day but personally I'd go for a single card solution such as a 6950/70 or gtx 570
  4. furthermore what are your full system specs including psu make and model and monitors res?
  5. Ok I think were getting somewhere now thanks.
    heres my full system specs.

CPU:AMD PhenomII X6 1090T running OC at 3.7GHz
    MB:Asus M4A89TD PRO USB3 (chipset-AMD 890FX)
    RAM:4GBs DDR3 1600
    VideoCard:Radeon HD 5870 1GB DDR5
    case:Cooler Master HAF 922
    PSU:Corsair 850W ATX12V v2.2

Please tell me if I missed anything.

I have one other small question, which i think i have an idea from what jjb8675309 said, but the question is which is more efficient 2 video cards connected with cross fire or 1 super big crazy fast video card. but the info your giving me is also helping.

thanks for the quick replys
  6. personally I prefer a single powerful card
  7. oh i forgot about my monitor is: Res- 1920x1080 60Hz 23"

im not trying to be rude, i just dont want to spend $300 with out doing a crazy amount of research, but if i have 2 video cards with the specs. of 1GB with 800 stream prosessing units, will it run better than my 1GB 1600 stream prosessing unit video card?
    or is it a matter of heat and space in the case, or just that when video cards run in cross fire they are not a effecient as 1 big one.

again sorry for the questions, but thanks for the answers
  8. what cards specifically are you talking about, crossfire drivers work like ass, you are much better with a single gpu. personally I went from 6870 crossfire to a single gtx 570 and I'm thrilled
  9. I was thinking of a 6000 GPU but it sounds like you were having some problems with them.
  10. they are fine in a single card config, imo, but amd treats their crossfire customers like a minority. The best bang for your buck is probly the 6950 2 gig flashed to a 6970 or a gtx 570
  11. ok so im looking at this one: (newegg num)Item#: N82E16814102928

Im really looking for an UP-GRADE cause right now im running an Radeon HD 5870 1GB DDR5 with 1600 stream prosessing units but the one i mentioned only has 1408 Stream Processing Units, but is that not enough of a difference for my preformance to slow noticeably?
  12. 1920x1080 on a 23" screen? Why are you even looking? Marketing loves you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product