Upgrading my graphics card GTX260 to

SinByGames

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
This is the computer that I use, I am normally a console gamer and I started heavy PC gaming with this because I figured I would start somewhere and do my own do it yourself set up later. But now I got my hands on this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127593) for free because of something NewEgg screwed up for a friend. He did not need it so I payed him a measly 50$, NOW - before I go and install it, the 560 says that you need a 400W or better power supply or better, which I have, but it requires a 12 Volt 24 Amp minimum value, which I do not know if this power supply does that, I opened it up but there only is the output voltage and overall Watt / Voltage, no AMP numbers per volt. Maybe I have no idea what I am looking for and I have to start somewhere, but does anyone know more and maybe this link will help because this is cnets overview of what I have (it is the 260 750g version)

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-fx6801-03-core/4507-3118_7-33707266.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

I hope I can learn something or at least someone can better find what my power supply does in terms of using this card. I know not to just throw it in there at least :p

something you should check on the power supply is the power connectors that the gfx card needs. I assume it needs at least 2x 6 pin power connectors, so make sure the PSU has them. If it doesnt then its probably not designed to run a high end vid card. Being 750w as specified by your PC's specs it should have these connectors.

SinByGames

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Yes it does have 2 6 pin power connectors, also has a random white connector that was plugged into the old 260, ANYWAY, I am still wondering about the amps and such, cause someone said I should check that but I really dont know if that is something to worry about with it being 750 W

Uther39

Distinguished
By the way the MSI card is a lovely powerful cool running card, as i have one in my wifes machine, you will not be disappointed in it especially as its free! Quite a step up from your 260, remember to update to the latest graphics drivers from the nvidia website after you have installed it.