Why does my router occasionally drop signal? When I watch online videos the signal will randomly drop and the video will stall. Sometime it will reconnect after a few minutes but sometime it will not even attempt to reconnect at all. Is there something wrong with the way I set it up?
My set up is with Charter Communications. From the wall the cable goes:
into Cable modem from Charter
into VYL Media VOIP service
into D-Link DIR615 Wireless router
Again, no matter if I am just casually surfing the web or watching video from a website I pay for the signal will randomly drop. I am thinking about buying an online video service for my parents so they can watch shows from Asia but if the signal is not reliable then it is not worth it because they will not be able to trouble shoot it on their own.
See if things improve when you connect by wire to the router instead of wireless.
Wireless is usually about half the speed of wired even with good wireless reception. You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.
1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.