Sign in with
Your question

Connect Fan to 4 pin molex?

Last response: in Components
October 3, 2011 1:13:22 PM

Hi All,

I recently found a antec 120mm fan lying around in a drawer and it only has a red and black wire coming from it.
Im not sure how this happened but maybe it became detached from the original 4 pin molex it was in or something?

Can you tell me how I can put it into a 4 pin molex so that I can connect it to the power supply.
Might be a bit noob of a question but I'm learning as I go with this stuff :kaola: 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Kev

More about : connect fan pin molex

October 3, 2011 1:48:06 PM

Lets just say the red and black wires were yanked out of the 4 pin connector...any way of salvaging the fan or no? :D 
October 3, 2011 1:59:47 PM

kevo56 said:
Hi All,

I recently found a antec 120mm fan lying around in a drawer and it only has a red and black wire coming from it.
Im not sure how this happened but maybe it became detached from the original 4 pin molex it was in or something?

Can you tell me how I can put it into a 4 pin molex so that I can connect it to the power supply.
Might be a bit noob of a question but I'm learning as I go with this stuff :kaola: 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Kev

Try using a FAN-Molex adaptor such as this (Akasa AK-CB001):

The red ones are for 12V and the yellows are for 5V (for silent operation if your fan supports it) - oh you might see the connections are also 2-cabled :D 
a b ) Power supply
October 3, 2011 4:01:19 PM

Red is for the +VDC supply, Black is for Ground. If you get a 4-pin Molex male connector, then look at the wires of the female connectors coming out of your PSU. Just solder the fan's wires to pins on the male connector so that fan's RED mates with the YELLOW wire from the PSU female connector (that's +12 VDC), and fan's BLACK connects to PSU's BLACK. For another reference, see end of this page:

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/power-supply-basics-...

This will give the fan full power at all times so it runs full speed.

If you want to connect it to a 3-pin SYS_FAN port on your mobo (and thus be able to control fan speed), you'll need a little connector for that, too. To wire it up, see this:

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Motherboard_%28CPU%...

In the photo, note that the connector on the mobo (to the right) has a plastic tongue sticking out under the 3 pins, and this establishes only one way for the fan connector to fit on. Red to red, black to black, and forget the Yellow here - your fan does not have one. Its function is to take a speed pulse signal from the fan motor back to the mobo for monitoring.

!