Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best Video Card and Z68 Motherboard for New Build

Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2011 4:55:51 AM

OK Guys and Gals this is what I have got:

1. 2600K CPU
2. CM HAF X 942 case (yeah I wish I had got the Corsair 650D but it wasn't out when I bought my case)
3. Corsair 3 120 GB (got it on sale for $180 after rebates)
4. Hitachi 1.5 TB 7200 RPM Sata III HDD (got it on sale for $55.00 - its supposed to be fast for an HDD)
5. Corsair HX 850 PSU (got on sale for $144)
6. GSkill 2 x 4GB 1600 RAM (got on sale for $75)
7. Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler
8. Asus Xonar DX 7.1 sound card
9. Hauppauge 2250 HDTV card

Here's what I need:

1. The best Z68 mother board: budget $180 - $250 - yes I do want the Z68 board for sure. I would like to control as many fans as possible with the motherboard. Right now I prefer Asus motherboards and I have read the reviews on Tom's Hardware but I am open to other suggestions. I will not be using the Intel cache feature. There is a slight possibility that I may add crossfire some time in the future (I may try a game or two, I am not a heavy gamer but you guys have peaked my interest :-) ).

2. The best video card - I have narrowed it down to the following:

ATI 6850
ATI 6950 1 GB
ATI 6950 2 GB

Budget: around $190 - $265. I am leaning heavily towards the 6950 unless I get a screaming deal on a 6850.

Please give advice on these three - I prefer a lifetime warranty but any manufacturer is open to consider. I also would like a reliable card. I probably won't overclock the card.

3. I am considering a RAID 1 setup with two additional 1 TB drives (I have room in the HAF X). Please let me know what 1 TB drives are the fastest and most cost efficient. This has been changing a lot lately. I do know about the Samsung Spinpoint F3, what are some other options? I also want you to consider reliability.

Budget: $50 - $75 each

4. 1-2 Additional case fans - would like them to be PWM controllable. One 120 mm for the top of the HAF X for sure.

Budget $10 - $30

I multitask a lot and run CAD sometimes. I am a very light gamer, hence only a single GPU. I would like the motherboard to have PWM fan control, and several Sata III connections (both my SSD and HDD are Sata III). USB 3.0 and remember I need a PCI-E slot for the Hauppauge 2250 HDTV card and the Asus Xonar DX. So I need four workable PCI-E slots if I go crossfire.

At any time I may have three or four business applications open (sometimes more as I switch a lot), be watching HDTV or streaming video on Hulu or something and doing internet searches and emailing. In this sense I am a fairly heavy user, though not compared to a serious gamer. The HDTV does tax the video card similar to a game. I owned an I-7 920 and it kept up with me pretty well but I pushed it at times.

I will overclock the 2600K CPU, hopefully to 5.0 GHZ. I think the chip will be safe around that level and last several years without a problem.

Finally, does anyone know if the CM HAF X fans are PWM controllable by the motherboard? That info is not in the user's manual. I would like to not mess with the fans as much as possible. Note that the Noctua D14 fans are not PWM controllable.

Thanks to all for your advice - this is my first build and so I am very excited.

a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2011 3:39:20 PM
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2011 3:46:04 PM
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2011 4:10:56 PM

Quote:
1. 2600K CPU
2. CM HAF X 942 case (yeah I wish I had got the Corsair 650D but it wasn't out when I bought my case)
4. Hitachi 1.5 TB 7200 RPM Sata III HDD (got it on sale for $55.00 - its supposed to be fast for an HDD)

Nice build. What monitor resolution are you running?

Quote:
1. The best Z68 mother board: budget $180 - $250 - yes I do want the Z68 board for sure. I would like to control as many fans as possible with the motherboard. Right now I prefer Asus motherboards and I have read the reviews on Tom's Hardware but I am open to other suggestions. I will not be using the Intel cache feature. There is a slight possibility that I may add crossfire some time in the future (I may try a game or two, I am not a heavy gamer but you guys have peaked my interest :-) ).

Most of the ATX boards out there will support CF, since it will run on the x16/x4 PCI-E x16 slots on most of the boards (SLI requires x8/x8 minimum). No reason to rule it out, especially since you can get a CF/SLI-ready board for $180 (and some even less).

My key question is what expansion slots do the Xonar and Hauppage use (PCI or PCI-E x1)? Most of the Gigabyte boards will be able to run a dual slot GPU, 2 PCI-E x1, and a PCI card due to the way they designed them. Asus' boards tend to have crappy slot layouts, and some don't even have 2 PCI-E x1 slots. Both companies make great boards, and I'd stick with them.

Quote:

ATI 6850
ATI 6950 1 GB
ATI 6950 2 GB

Budget: around $190 - $265. I am leaning heavily towards the 6950 unless I get a screaming deal on a 6850.

Please give advice on these three - I prefer a lifetime warranty but any manufacturer is open to consider. I also would like a reliable card. I probably won't overclock the card.

6950 2GB if you can afford it. It's an amazing card, has more VRAM for future games as well as supporting multimonitor setups (i.e. Eyefinity). I get over 60FPS almost all the time in any game I play, except for ArmA 2 where I get over 40FPS with everything on max (Textures, Shadows, AA, Filtering, etc).

Quote:
3. I am considering a RAID 1 setup with two additional 1 TB drives (I have room in the HAF X). Please let me know what 1 TB drives are the fastest and most cost efficient. This has been changing a lot lately. I do know about the Samsung Spinpoint F3, what are some other options? I also want you to consider reliability.

In that price range, nothing is better than the F3s. They are just as reliable (or even moreso) than WD and Seagate. WD has started using SATA III controllers for their drives, but the F3 has higher platter density which makes it the faster drive. Seagate has had trouble with reliability in the last few years, so I'd shy away from them.
Server/Enterprise drives have the best reliability, but are also very expensive.

Quote:
4. 1-2 Additional case fans - would like them to be PWM controllable. One 120 mm for the top of the HAF X for sure.

Budget $10 - $30

Do you have a fan controller that supports PWM? Usually the only PWM port is on the CPU fan header on the mobo. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the mobo case fan headers support PWM because they don't have the 4th pin.

In general, the Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 is a very quiet fan, but the Slipstreams will push more air.

Quote:
I multitask a lot and run CAD sometimes. I am a very light gamer, hence only a single GPU. I would like the motherboard to have PWM fan control, and several Sata III connections (both my SSD and HDD are Sata III). USB 3.0 and remember I need a PCI-E slot for the Hauppauge 2250 HDTV card and the Asus Xonar DX. So I need four workable PCI-E slots if I go crossfire.

Refer to my Gigabyte mobo recommendation. The 6950 will be plenty to handle both CAD and intense gaming.

Quote:
At any time I may have three or four business applications open (sometimes more as I switch a lot), be watching HDTV or streaming video on Hulu or something and doing internet searches and emailing. In this sense I am a fairly heavy user, though not compared to a serious gamer. The HDTV does tax the video card similar to a game. I owned an I-7 920 and it kept up with me pretty well but I pushed it at times.

What do you mean by "business applications"? HDTVs run at 1920x1080, which is one of the resolutions at which the 6950 excels. You shouldn't have issues with games/work on that (if you use it for that).

Quote:
I will overclock the 2600K CPU, hopefully to 5.0 GHZ. I think the chip will be safe around that level and last several years without a problem.

The i7-2600K is one of the strongest CPUs out there (really only behind the 980x/990x when not OCed), so you should be fine without OCing for a while.

July 7, 2011 8:05:39 PM

boiler1990 said:
Quote:
1. 2600K CPU

Nice build. What monitor resolution are you running?

Quote:

Most of the ATX boards out there will support CF, since it will run on the x16/x4 PCI-E x16 slots on most of the boards (SLI requires x8/x8 minimum). No reason to rule it out, especially since you can get a CF/SLI-ready board for $180 (and some even less).

My key question is what expansion slots do the Xonar and Hauppage use (PCI or PCI-E x1)? Most of the Gigabyte boards will be able to run a dual slot GPU, 2 PCI-E x1, and a PCI card due to the way they designed them. Asus' boards tend to have crappy slot layouts, and some don't even have 2 PCI-E x1 slots. Both companies make great boards, and I'd stick with them.

Quote:

ATI 6850
ATI 6950 1 GB
ATI 6950 2 GB

6950 2GB if you can afford it. It's an amazing card, has more VRAM for future games as well as supporting multimonitor setups (i.e. Eyefinity). I get over 60FPS almost all the time in any game I play, except for ArmA 2 where I get over 40FPS with everything on max (Textures, Shadows, AA, Filtering, etc).

Quote:

In that price range, nothing is better than the F3s. They are just as reliable (or even moreso) than WD and Seagate. WD has started using SATA III controllers for their drives, but the F3 has higher platter density which makes it the faster drive. Seagate has had trouble with reliability in the last few years, so I'd shy away from them.
Server/Enterprise drives have the best reliability, but are also very expensive.

Quote:

Budget $10 - $30

Do you have a fan controller that supports PWM? Usually the only PWM port is on the CPU fan header on the mobo. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the mobo case fan headers support PWM because they don't have the 4th pin.

In general, the Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 is a very quiet fan, but the Slipstreams will push more air.

Quote:

Refer to my Gigabyte mobo recommendation. The 6950 will be plenty to handle both CAD and intense gaming.

Quote:

What do you mean by "business applications"? HDTVs run at 1920x1080, which is one of the resolutions at which the 6950 excels. You shouldn't have issues with games/work on that (if you use it for that).

Quote:

The i7-2600K is one of the strongest CPUs out there (really only behind the 980x/990x when not OCed), so you should be fine without OCing for a while.

Thanks so much to everyone who has posted a response. I am still sorting through all of the information.

1. Monitor resolution: 1920 x 1200 - Sorry I should have included that. I have a HIPS monitor it is a very good on (HP 2475)

2. Both the Hauppauge 2250 and the Xonar DX use PCI-E slots. I did mention that. This is the main reason I am seeking help with the motherboard selection. I will be occupying at least three PCI-E slots. Many of the Z68 mobos deactivate a slot when others are used and it is a little confusing

3. HDTV is over the air (OTA) high definition television. It is the exact same HD signal that you have on cable but I receive mine through an antenna that I mounted in my attic. The 2250 card let's you watch HDTV via cable or antenna. I believe that the draw on the video card is similar to gaming but not quite as intense but that is a guess. I do know it taxes the video card because the high fans come on.

4. I am researching both the Asus and Gigabyte boards that have been recommended (and any others if I missed them).

5. Does anyone know if the Cooler Master fans are any good? Also, I want a quiet, efficient fan for the top fan as it will be the most audible. It still needs to move some air though. I am looking at the fans that have been recommended.

6. PWM fan control is confusing to me. I even started a thread to try to clarify it and it did help some, but I am still confused. I do know that the Asus boards have approximately 4 PWM fan headers which allow you to control the fans through the motherboard. I would assume that Gigabyte is similar.

7. Thanks for the info on the Samsung Spinpoint 3, I knew it was one of the best. I will probably wait for a sale on them.

8. I am leaning hard towards the 6950 - either the 1 GB or 2 GB. Really, the 2GB is only $20 more in several cases.

9. Business applications are: MS Project, Outlook, Excel, Word, CAD sofware are some examples.
m
l
July 7, 2011 8:20:31 PM

Is the Asus Deluxe worth the extra $50 over the Asus Pro V Z68 board?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2011 8:29:04 PM

I have the Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3, and with its port layout you could Crossfire dual slot GPUs, run your sound card, HDTV card, and a PCI card (wifi?). It's also a great OCer according to Tom's, and the P67X-UD3-B3 has the same port layout, supports dual GPUs, and is ~$30 cheaper.
If you're not using the caching feature or the added video transcoding features, there's really no reason to go with Z68 IMHO. The only thing you'd get is integrated video on the CPU.

As for fans, the important numbers are really the dB (noise level - associated with RPMs in most cases), and CFM (volume of air moved by the fan). You want the highest CFM rating with the lowest dB rating. Cooler Master, Scythe, Delta, and Yate Loon are well-known fan manuf. in the liquid cooling realm, but the principles above still apply to air cooling.

PWM is Pulse Width Modulation, but practically speaking it modulates the fan power (and therefore, fan speed) in response to temperature changes. PWM uses a 4pin header as opposed to the standard 3pin or Molex power connector; you can plug in a 4pin connector to a 3pin header and vice versa, but unless it's a 4pin on a 4pin, you don't get the PWM functionality. Generally, the fan headers on a motherboard are 3pin for case fans, and there's one 4pin for the CPU (CPU changes temperature more rapidly than the case as a whole).

I don't see any reason not to go with the 6950. You'll definitely use it for games and CAD, and it's absolutely stellar at 1920x1080/1200.
The GPU probably does work a bit when pushing your HDTV signal from the tuner, most likely just because it is in HD. I wouldn't expect it to be extremely taxing though, but that's just my assumption.
m
l
July 8, 2011 7:10:28 AM

Ok, I am thinking about the Asus Deluxe or the Asus Z68 Pro V. I looked at the Gigabyte boards and I appreciate all those that pointed them out. I think that when it says in the description "2 PCI-Express X 1 " that these two slots will run the Hauppauge 2250 and the Asus Xonar Dx. That leaves two x 8 / x8 for two GPUs if I choose to crossfire. Right now I think that I will stick with one 6950 2 GB. I think that the 2 GB version is worth the extra $20.

There is a $60 difference between the Asus Pro V and the Asus Deluxe. I am researching the differences between the two. I do not need the Cadillac features of the Asus Extreme boards.

Seagate Sata III 1 TB drives went on sale today for $50 each at Newegg. I am very tempted to get a couple. Here is the link: http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/july-0-2011/tech07...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2011 1:29:25 PM

If you look at pictures of the Asus board layouts, you'll see that the PCIE x1 slots are right next to the first PCIE x16 slot. That means a 6950 will block the one to the left (toward the other PCI and PCIE slots) due to it's dual slot bracket. I don't know if you can run the 6950 in the second PCIEx16 slot, but if you can't you won't be able to run both expansion cards. As I discussed, you're guaranteed that the 6950 and two PCIEx1 cards will fit in the Gigabyte boards.

I'd still advise against Seagate but that's just my opinion.
m
l
July 15, 2011 3:02:32 AM

OK, just a quick update for all of you who have been so helpful. I purchased the following:

Motherboard: Asus Deluxe Z68 - $250
HDD: Samsung F3 Spinpoint - $50
GPU: XFX 6950 2GB with two fans (supposedly will overclock better if I choose to OC) - $292 before $30 rebate - so it is $262. This is about $50 - $75 more than I wanted to pay but it is a good card and I have a high-end monitor that deserves a quality card. I can also upgrade my monitor or go to eyefinity with this card and it is more than enough to game or run CAD and watch HDTV. This card also has a double lifetime warranty and with two fans will run cooler and quieter.

I did not purchase any fans yet because I am considering the Corsair H100 if it comes out quickly. Supposedly it is quiet and the new H80 is roughly equivalent to the Noctua D-14. The benefit of the H100 is that it is only $15 more than the Noctua and it has the "Linked" system that would control all fans.

The H100 possibly will be superior to the D-14 and possibly be as quiet. I also heard about a cheap water cooling kit called Rasa that is very good, but it is too much work for what I want. It has upkeep and maintenance that the D-14 and the H100 will not have.

The motherboard was the hardest decision and I thank each and everyone of you who made a suggestion. I originally was going to get the Asus Pro Z68 but I was a little peeved that if you occupy two of the PCI-E x 1 slots that it shuts down other things on the board. The Deluxe version (I think) does not have this limitation. If someone knows more about the difference between the two versions, I would b glad for the clarification. Honestly, it is like pulling teeth to read the pro reviews and sort out the differences.

I am still trying to understand the labeling, like what exactly is a PCI-E x1 as opposed to a PCI-E x 4 or x 8 or x 16. I know it is more bandwidth but geeze what are the real-life ramifications and what can you hook up to each of these slots? I think my Hauppauge 2250 card will be fine in a PCI-E x1 slot or the PCI-E x4 but I am not sure. Also, I think that the Asus Xonar DX 7.1 will be fine in a PCI-E x1 slot but again I am not sure. If you have some advice, please let me know. I will also carefully read the manufacturer's instructions.

I did carefully consider boiler 1992's advice on the Asus layout, but I am not sure that I understood it. The pro reviews say that the layout is very good, however I do think boiler1992 has a point, I just wish I could understand it better. I think that the Deluxe board solves the problem to some degree because it does not rob from other slots if you use the PCI-E x1 slots or the PCI-E x4 slot. For now I only plan on running one GPU and so it probably won't be an issue.

Keep in mind that the Deluxe board was just $39 more than the Pro V board and it offers many more upgraded features besides better bandwidth management. I did look carefully at the Gigabyte boards, but there seems to be such a quality shift with Gigabyte. Some boards are excellent and some not-so excellent. I will learn more as I build more computers in the future.

Check this out, I got the Asus Xonar DX 7.1 card for $62 after rebates on Amazon - wow what a steal ha, ha. If you need a good sound card, I doubt you will find a better deal.

OK - give me some feedback on which components are best for which PCI-E slots. I know that the XFX 6950 goes in the first PCI-E x 16 slot, but what about all the other components?

Thanks everyone
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2011 9:21:31 AM

flong said:
OK, just a quick update for all of you who have been so helpful. I purchased the following:

Motherboard: Asus Deluxe Z68 - $250
HDD: Samsung F3 Spinpoint - $50
GPU: XFX 6950 2GB with two fans (supposedly will overclock better if I choose to OC) - $292 before $30 rebate - so it is $262. This is about $50 - $75 more than I wanted to pay but it is a good card and I have a high-end monitor that deserves a quality card. I can also upgrade my monitor or go to eyefinity with this card and it is more than enough to game or run CAD and watch HDTV. This card also has a double lifetime warranty and with two fans will run cooler and quieter.

I did not purchase any fans yet because I am considering the Corsair H100 if it comes out quickly. Supposedly it is quiet and the new H80 is roughly equivalent to the Noctua D-14. The benefit of the H100 is that it is only $15 more than the Noctua and it has the "Linked" system that would control all fans.

The H100 possibly will be superior to the D-14 and possibly be as quiet. I also heard about a cheap water cooling kit called Rasa that is very good, but it is too much work for what I want. It has upkeep and maintenance that the D-14 and the H100 will not have.

The motherboard was the hardest decision and I thank each and everyone of you who made a suggestion. I originally was going to get the Asus Pro Z68 but I was a little peeved that if you occupy two of the PCI-E x 1 slots that it shuts down other things on the board. The Deluxe version (I think) does not have this limitation. If someone knows more about the difference between the two versions, I would b glad for the clarification. Honestly, it is like pulling teeth to read the pro reviews and sort out the differences.

I am still trying to understand the labeling, like what exactly is a PCI-E x1 as opposed to a PCI-E x 4 or x 8 or x 16. I know it is more bandwidth but geeze what are the real-life ramifications and what can you hook up to each of these slots? I think my Hauppauge 2250 card will be fine in a PCI-E x1 slot or the PCI-E x4 but I am not sure. Also, I think that the Asus Xonar DX 7.1 will be fine in a PCI-E x1 slot but again I am not sure. If you have some advice, please let me know. I will also carefully read the manufacturer's instructions.

I did carefully consider boiler 1992's advice on the Asus layout, but I am not sure that I understood it. The pro reviews say that the layout is very good, however I do think boiler1992 has a point, I just wish I could understand it better. I think that the Deluxe board solves the problem to some degree because it does not rob from other slots if you use the PCI-E x1 slots or the PCI-E x4 slot. For now I only plan on running one GPU and so it probably won't be an issue.

Keep in mind that the Deluxe board was just $39 more than the Pro V board and it offers many more upgraded features besides better bandwidth management. I did look carefully at the Gigabyte boards, but there seems to be such a quality shift with Gigabyte. Some boards are excellent and some not-so excellent. I will learn more as I build more computers in the future.

Check this out, I got the Asus Xonar DX 7.1 card for $62 after rebates on Amazon - wow what a steal ha, ha. If you need a good sound card, I doubt you will find a better deal.

OK - give me some feedback on which components are best for which PCI-E slots. I know that the XFX 6950 goes in the first PCI-E x 16 slot, but what about all the other components?

Thanks everyone

if your looking to spend that much on water cooling the Kuhler 620 and 920 would be good options to consider:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

as for where the cards go, a PCI-E x1/x4/x8 card can fit into a x16 slot, same for a x4/x1 card can fit in a x8 slot, a x8 card can fit in a x4 slot depending on the mobo, a sound card will hardly need more than a PCI-Ex1 slot, the Hauppauge 2250 can fit in a PCI-Ex1 slot too without bandwidth problems also, but a highre bandwidth will also work. Any other PCI cards?
m
l
July 15, 2011 6:20:34 PM

Thanks, however the Antec Kuhlers have not reviewed well. The Corsair H60, H80 and H100 seem to be a new breakthrough in maintenance free water cooling.

Do you think that the Hauppage 2250 should go in a higher bandwidth slot because it is handling HDTV?

Thanks
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2011 8:53:51 PM

The Antec and Corsair are sort of the same. I believe that they were co-developed by the same company or have some sort of common link in their development.

A PCI-E x1 card will only use that amount of bandwidth, so even if you stuck it in a x4/x8/x16 slot, you'd still only get x1 out of it. Just know that you can put an x1 card in a bigger slot in the even you run out of room.
m
l
July 15, 2011 9:15:49 PM

boiler1990 said:
The Antec and Corsair are sort of the same. I believe that they were co-developed by the same company or have some sort of common link in their development.

A PCI-E x1 card will only use that amount of bandwidth, so even if you stuck it in a x4/x8/x16 slot, you'd still only get x1 out of it. Just know that you can put an x1 card in a bigger slot in the even you run out of room.

You are thinking about the H70, which is the same as the Antec. Starting with the H60, Corsair changed manufacturers. The H60, H80 and H100 are all new designs and they are better.

Thanks for the info on the slots. I sort of am starting to understand them better. I am not sure if the Hauppauge 2250 is a PCI-E x1 card I will check the manufacturer specs. Same with the Asus Xonar DX 7.1 card.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2011 9:49:19 PM

flong said:
You are thinking about the H70, which is the same as the Antec. Starting with the H60, Corsair changed manufacturers. The H60, H80 and H100 are all new designs and they are better.

Thanks for the info on the slots. I sort of am starting to understand them better. I am not sure if the Hauppauge 2250 is a PCI-E x1 card I will check the manufacturer specs. Same with the Asus Xonar DX 7.1 card.

it definetely is, i checked.
m
l
July 26, 2011 1:38:52 AM

Best answer selected by flong.
m
l
!