Whats DDR mean?

Yes a 9600 will work but I wouldn't go any higher.That PSU they supplied with the combo is crap and it's really only capable of supplying around 400watts on the 12/ rail.Buy a new PSU if you inted to get a new card.

GDDR is short for Graphic Double Data Rate.The numbers mean how fast they can comunicate so the larger the number the faster the RAM is.If you have to choose between DDR3 and DDR4 you should choose DDR4.Currently DDR5 is the fastest if you can get one of those.

Chicken-Select

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Oh I see, but the higher the DDR the faster right so it dosnt really matter what DDR or whatever the video card is? so If I take that barebones kit, throw in another 4gb DDR3 RAM stick and the HD 5850, maybe up the PSU to 600watt. How well do you think I could run Crysis on Windows 7?

Not always -- the higher DDR does mean that it will process more data per clock cycle but there are times where the actual throughput will be lower --- 1 spec on its own is not enough to tell if a card with DDR2 or DDR3 is faster\slower than one with DDR5 -- you also have to consider the memory bus width (ie. 128 bit or 256 bit etc.) and the memory speed. Nvidia cards tend to use lower DDR rated memory running at slower speeds but using a wider bus to move more data each clock while ATI tends to use higher DDR ratings running at higher speeds but using a narrower bus but both get about the same memory throughput per clock cycle -- just depends on if you spend more on the memory chip or the support chips to get the result.

Chicken-Select

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

I know that, but I was mainly asking will a graphics card work in any motherboard with a PCI-E slot and a good enough PSU and stuff reguardless the DDR level?

Chicken-Select

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

Umm, I'm not entirely sure how to check that? its a RP-500-PCAR model CoolerMaster Extreme Power 500W

It says this:
Brand: COOLER MASTER
Mfg No: RP-500-PCAR
Type: ATX from factor 12V V2.01
Input Voltage: 90~132V / 180~260 V (Selectable)
Input Current: 6.3A@230Vac / 8A@115Vac
Input Frequency Range: 47~63Hz
Fan: Sleeve bearing 120mm fan
Power Good Signal: 100-500ms
Hold Up Time: >17ms
Efficiency: >70% typically
MTBF: >100,000 hrs
Protection: OVP / OPP / Short Circuit Protection
Dimension: Standard ATX PS2 150 x 140 x 86 mm
Operation Temperature: 5~50 degree
Safety: Nemko / TUV / cUL / CE / BSMI / FCC / CCC

Ohh - I thought you asked
but the higher the DDR the faster right
--- Anyway to answer the new question that is correct the type of VRAM the video card uses makes no difference to the system -- the video card is the only part that communicates with the VRAM placed on the card so as far as your system is concerned it does not matter what type is installed !

+1 -- those multi item combos are usually dessigned to get rid of excess inventory of some outdated part - they figure if they slip it in with a couple decent parts many people will not notice the bad ones and then spend more replacing the inferior part than they saved on the combo ! -- some of the 2 or 3 item combos are decent deals but the larger bundles always seem to have at least one or 2 useless pieces negating the discount and more. Kind of like those pre-built systems that they sneak in a 250W PSU and a MOBO with only 2 Dimm sockets and no PCI-e slot !!