Whats DDR mean?

I am currently shopping for a graphics card to run in this computer:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=281588&Sku=B69-1316

Should I use DDR3 or 4? or what??? I'm confused on what the whole DDR thing means with a graphics card. Thanks for the help!
BTW, I plan to use windows 7 and play games like Crysis
22 answers Last reply
More about whats mean
  1. I currently have a XFX GeForce 9600 GSO single slot edition, would that work in it?
  2. Yes a 9600 will work but I wouldn't go any higher.That PSU they supplied with the combo is crap and it's really only capable of supplying around 400watts on the 12/ rail.Buy a new PSU if you inted to get a new card.

    GDDR is short for Graphic Double Data Rate.The numbers mean how fast they can comunicate so the larger the number the faster the RAM is.If you have to choose between DDR3 and DDR4 you should choose DDR4.Currently DDR5 is the fastest if you can get one of those.
  3. How do I know if my motherboard or computer can support DDR5? or GDDR5? Or what ever DDR it is? I would like to get this:

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=199805&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=je6NUbpObpQ-zzl1xmcdFFTmwgwH5Qj5IA

    Would it run this? and I have a 500watts PSU ready to go. Thank you!
  4. The RAM on the video card works independently from the system RAM.

    Generally a 500w PSU can run a HD 5850. But the their build quality can range from crap to outstanding.
  5. Oh I see, but the higher the DDR the faster right so it dosnt really matter what DDR or whatever the video card is? so If I take that barebones kit, throw in another 4gb DDR3 RAM stick and the HD 5850, maybe up the PSU to 600watt. How well do you think I could run Crysis on Windows 7?
  6. You can't use the 5850 with the PSU that comes in that combo.If you upgrade your PSU then you can.
    If you buy another stick of RAM make sure it's the exact same type.

    This one is the RAM you should get

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6613461

    If you do upgrade your PSU then everything should work.
  7. thank you!
  8. Whats your budget for the PSU?
  9. I currently have a 500watt one ready to go, so if i can ill keep that but maybe spend about 50$ or so on an better one if needed
  10. You absolutely need to upgrade your power supply if you intend to get the 5850.

    Antec 500watt $60 + Free Shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035
  11. I said I have a brand new 500watt still in the box never used just sitting in my closet that i'll use its a coolermaster, thatll work just the same right? that barebones kit only comes with a 400watt
  12. The barbones kit comes with a 550watt but its a piece of crap.

    How many amps are on the 12/v rail with ur Coolermaster 500watt you say you have?
  13. Damn...I thought "DDR" stood for..."Dance, Dance Revolution"...you know, the electronics game that the kids today love? LOL!
  14. Chicken-Select said:
    Oh I see, but the higher the DDR the faster right so it dosnt really matter what DDR or whatever the video card is?


    Not always -- the higher DDR does mean that it will process more data per clock cycle but there are times where the actual throughput will be lower --- 1 spec on its own is not enough to tell if a card with DDR2 or DDR3 is faster\slower than one with DDR5 -- you also have to consider the memory bus width (ie. 128 bit or 256 bit etc.) and the memory speed. Nvidia cards tend to use lower DDR rated memory running at slower speeds but using a wider bus to move more data each clock while ATI tends to use higher DDR ratings running at higher speeds but using a narrower bus but both get about the same memory throughput per clock cycle -- just depends on if you spend more on the memory chip or the support chips to get the result.
  15. JDFan said:
    Not always -- the higher DDR does mean that it will process more data per clock cycle but there are times where the actual throughput will be lower --- 1 spec on its own is not enough to tell if a card with DDR2 or DDR3 is faster\slower than one with DDR5 -- you also have to consider the memory bus width (ie. 128 bit or 256 bit etc.) and the memory speed. Nvidia cards tend to use lower DDR rated memory running at slower speeds but using a wider bus to move more data each clock while ATI tends to use higher DDR ratings running at higher speeds but using a narrower bus but both get about the same memory throughput per clock cycle -- just depends on if you spend more on the memory chip or the support chips to get the result.


    I know that, but I was mainly asking will a graphics card work in any motherboard with a PCI-E slot and a good enough PSU and stuff reguardless the DDR level?
  16. purple stank said:
    The barbones kit comes with a 550watt but its a piece of crap.

    How many amps are on the 12/v rail with ur Coolermaster 500watt you say you have?


    Umm, I'm not entirely sure how to check that? its a RP-500-PCAR model CoolerMaster Extreme Power 500W

    It says this:
    Brand: COOLER MASTER
    Mfg No: RP-500-PCAR
    Type: ATX from factor 12V V2.01
    Input Voltage: 90~132V / 180~260 V (Selectable)
    Input Current: 6.3A@230Vac / 8A@115Vac
    Input Frequency Range: 47~63Hz
    Fan: Sleeve bearing 120mm fan
    Power Good Signal: 100-500ms
    Hold Up Time: >17ms
    Efficiency: >70% typically
    MTBF: >100,000 hrs
    Protection: OVP / OPP / Short Circuit Protection
    Dimension: Standard ATX PS2 150 x 140 x 86 mm
    Operation Temperature: 5~50 degree
    Safety: Nemko / TUV / cUL / CE / BSMI / FCC / CCC
  17. Chicken-Select said:
    I know that, but I was mainly asking will a graphics card work in any motherboard with a PCI-E slot and a good enough PSU and stuff reguardless the DDR level?



    Ohh - I thought you asked
    Quote:
    but the higher the DDR the faster right
    --- Anyway to answer the new question that is correct the type of VRAM the video card uses makes no difference to the system -- the video card is the only part that communicates with the VRAM placed on the card so as far as your system is concerned it does not matter what type is installed !
  18. Your Cooler Master PSU isn't any better than the Eagle PSU you get with the Combo.Your gonna have to buy a new PSU to support the 5850.
    The Antec PSU I supplied in my post above should be more than enough to power it and it's within your budget.
  19. Rats, Looks like I'll have to buy the Antec one then! Thank you all for the help!
  20. Your proably be better off buying all the parts seperatly.
  21. purple stank said:
    Your proably be better off buying all the parts seperatly.


    +1 -- those multi item combos are usually dessigned to get rid of excess inventory of some outdated part - they figure if they slip it in with a couple decent parts many people will not notice the bad ones and then spend more replacing the inferior part than they saved on the combo ! -- some of the 2 or 3 item combos are decent deals but the larger bundles always seem to have at least one or 2 useless pieces negating the discount and more. Kind of like those pre-built systems that they sneak in a 250W PSU and a MOBO with only 2 Dimm sockets and no PCI-e slot !!
  22. Yah i noticed that the PSU is $30 which is a waste of money.And theirs the RAM module they give and it's a 4G dual channel but you only have 1 stick so you can't run it in dual channel mode.And the mobo is micro ATX,which can cause problems.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards DDR Graphics Product