Thinkpad 600E screen goes dark immediately after power up.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2005 11:00:07 PM

The problem, intermittent before, has stabilized with the following
symptoms: on power up, the screen displays the logo and memory size
for less than a second and then goes blank. The computer keeps booting
up normally.

Before reaching this steady state, the screen would flicker a bit going
from regular brightness to less bright. In the rare occasions that it
did go totally dark, the computer was still accessible via a net
connection.

I have removed the keyboard and re-plugged all the connectors that go
to the display. This seemed to make some difference at first but then
the problem returned to what I now see. It looks like some component
has been slowly going south and now the backlight (?) stays on for
under a second. No amount of pressing on the connectors or wiggling
the cables makes any difference.

Can somebody tell me what component needs replacing? I've just
installed a brand new 54k 80G drive (with Debian linux) and really
would like to keep this laptop going.

Thanks for any help.

A.
June 28, 2005 7:04:54 PM

have you tried connection it to a external monitor?
<eclectic9@fast.net> wrote in message
> The problem, intermittent before, has stabilized with the following
> symptoms: on power up, the screen displays the logo and memory size
> for less than a second and then goes blank. The computer keeps booting
> up normally.
>
> Before reaching this steady state, the screen would flicker a bit going
> from regular brightness to less bright. In the rare occasions that it
> did go totally dark, the computer was still accessible via a net
> connection.
>
> I have removed the keyboard and re-plugged all the connectors that go
> to the display. This seemed to make some difference at first but then
> the problem returned to what I now see. It looks like some component
> has been slowly going south and now the backlight (?) stays on for
> under a second. No amount of pressing on the connectors or wiggling
> the cables makes any difference.
>
> Can somebody tell me what component needs replacing? I've just
> installed a brand new 54k 80G drive (with Debian linux) and really
> would like to keep this laptop going.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> A.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2005 7:09:00 PM

Yes. That occurred to me after the original posting.
On the external monitor, the image is perfect. Looking
very carefully at the LCD display I can see the same image,
although barely visible because the backlight is off.

I have found a way to briefly see the flickering image (for
a few seconds) on the LCD by pressing the Fn + F7 keys.
Every third hit, when the LCD is supposed to turn on, it
briefly does, flickers and then goes off again. The same
happens when the lid switch is pressed (when in the boot
screen). I have tried to disassemble the lid, per the
HW manual, but the plastic piece around the LCD doesn't
come off, even after removing the 4 side screws and the
2 lower edge ones. This was just in case the other end of
the cable, inside the lid, is somehow loose. But then why
would Fn + F7 reliably turn on the backlight for a few
seconds? I suppose it's still possible that a bad connection
is the problem.

By the way, when it was on and not flickering, the backlight
was quite bright. The screen diagnostics display perfectly
on the external screen. This seems to indicate that the
backlight is in good condition, ie not gradually degraded
as I've seen on other backlights that get dimmer and
dimmer.

Should I force off the plastic piece around the LCD? It
seems quite tight even though I've removed all the screws
per the manual. I'm afraid of damaging the LCD (which
doesn't have one bad pixel).

So, to summarize, it looks like a bad contact in the wires
feeding the backlight. Or has someone seen these
symptoms being caused by the backlight itself? Do
backlights go bad in this way? I have found an old
posting that said that pressing on different parts of the
lid would affect the display, but this doesn't happen here.

Anyway, thanks for replying. Any other ideas/suggestions?
from anyone?

A.
Related resources
June 29, 2005 9:40:58 AM

I have EXACT same problem as you do. I mean EXACTLY, down to every
little details.

First I was suspecting the inverter. I got one from ebay. It was on
for maybe 15 seconds this time, then it go dark again. I managed to
get a 600E with bad keyboard but it turns out that the LCD backlight
maybe bad ( pinkish at start up and then go dark again ). I am in the
process of getting a "tested working LCD". If this still doesn't work
then it could only be 2 things: the cable connection on the main unit
( I've unplug and plug the LCD end lots of times ), or the mobo
itself. Sure hope it's not the board itself, I really love this TP.

Keep me inform on your new findings.

Thanks.

eclectic9@fast.net wrote:

>Yes. That occurred to me after the original posting.
>On the external monitor, the image is perfect. Looking
>very carefully at the LCD display I can see the same image,
>although barely visible because the backlight is off.
>
>I have found a way to briefly see the flickering image (for
>a few seconds) on the LCD by pressing the Fn + F7 keys.
>Every third hit, when the LCD is supposed to turn on, it
>briefly does, flickers and then goes off again. The same
>happens when the lid switch is pressed (when in the boot
>screen). I have tried to disassemble the lid, per the
>HW manual, but the plastic piece around the LCD doesn't
>come off, even after removing the 4 side screws and the
>2 lower edge ones. This was just in case the other end of
>the cable, inside the lid, is somehow loose. But then why
>would Fn + F7 reliably turn on the backlight for a few
>seconds? I suppose it's still possible that a bad connection
>is the problem.
>
>By the way, when it was on and not flickering, the backlight
>was quite bright. The screen diagnostics display perfectly
>on the external screen. This seems to indicate that the
>backlight is in good condition, ie not gradually degraded
>as I've seen on other backlights that get dimmer and
>dimmer.
>
>Should I force off the plastic piece around the LCD? It
>seems quite tight even though I've removed all the screws
>per the manual. I'm afraid of damaging the LCD (which
>doesn't have one bad pixel).
>
>So, to summarize, it looks like a bad contact in the wires
>feeding the backlight. Or has someone seen these
>symptoms being caused by the backlight itself? Do
>backlights go bad in this way? I have found an old
>posting that said that pressing on different parts of the
>lid would affect the display, but this doesn't happen here.
>
>Anyway, thanks for replying. Any other ideas/suggestions?
>from anyone?
>
>A.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2005 12:37:44 PM

It's probably the inverter card which generates the high voltage for the
backlight. Look in Ebay for used ones, the new one from IBM is quite
expensive!

eclectic9@fast.net wrote:
> Yes. That occurred to me after the original posting.
> On the external monitor, the image is perfect. Looking
> very carefully at the LCD display I can see the same image,
> although barely visible because the backlight is off.
>
> I have found a way to briefly see the flickering image (for
> a few seconds) on the LCD by pressing the Fn + F7 keys.
> Every third hit, when the LCD is supposed to turn on, it
> briefly does, flickers and then goes off again. The same
> happens when the lid switch is pressed (when in the boot
> screen). I have tried to disassemble the lid, per the
> HW manual, but the plastic piece around the LCD doesn't
> come off, even after removing the 4 side screws and the
> 2 lower edge ones. This was just in case the other end of
> the cable, inside the lid, is somehow loose. But then why
> would Fn + F7 reliably turn on the backlight for a few
> seconds? I suppose it's still possible that a bad connection
> is the problem.
>
> By the way, when it was on and not flickering, the backlight
> was quite bright. The screen diagnostics display perfectly
> on the external screen. This seems to indicate that the
> backlight is in good condition, ie not gradually degraded
> as I've seen on other backlights that get dimmer and
> dimmer.
>
> Should I force off the plastic piece around the LCD? It
> seems quite tight even though I've removed all the screws
> per the manual. I'm afraid of damaging the LCD (which
> doesn't have one bad pixel).
>
> So, to summarize, it looks like a bad contact in the wires
> feeding the backlight. Or has someone seen these
> symptoms being caused by the backlight itself? Do
> backlights go bad in this way? I have found an old
> posting that said that pressing on different parts of the
> lid would affect the display, but this doesn't happen here.
>
> Anyway, thanks for replying. Any other ideas/suggestions?
> from anyone?
>
> A.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2005 2:11:59 PM

I am pretty sure that this is a bad CCFL (fluorescent lamp) problem.
The symptom is really not that much different than your ordinary
fluorescent lamp failing to startup and glow. Personally, a different
inverter may make it work for a while, but I just can't see it failing
too often as it is mostly solid state. I think the reason some inverter
may make it work is because of the hi-voltage variation that it
generates. I replaced mine (its a bear to do, removing the old one,
attaching the wires, and putting all back together again without
breaking the fragile and tiny CCFLs). Although cheap (about $20
including shipping from lcdparts.com) I really don't relish doing this
work too often.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 6:53:12 AM

Fold the screen back flat, put your fingers along the bottom edge of the screen
bezel and pull it down at the corners, towards the keyboard, it'll come off the
latches.. You will prob. have to pry off the upper corners, but it comes off
fairly easily. I've removed the bezels more times than i can count.

TJ

eclectic9@fast.net wrote:

> Yes. That occurred to me after the original posting.
> On the external monitor, the image is perfect. Looking
> very carefully at the LCD display I can see the same image,
> although barely visible because the backlight is off.
>
> I have found a way to briefly see the flickering image (for
> a few seconds) on the LCD by pressing the Fn + F7 keys.
> Every third hit, when the LCD is supposed to turn on, it
> briefly does, flickers and then goes off again. The same
> happens when the lid switch is pressed (when in the boot
> screen). I have tried to disassemble the lid, per the
> HW manual, but the plastic piece around the LCD doesn't
> come off, even after removing the 4 side screws and the
> 2 lower edge ones. This was just in case the other end of
> the cable, inside the lid, is somehow loose. But then why
> would Fn + F7 reliably turn on the backlight for a few
> seconds? I suppose it's still possible that a bad connection
> is the problem.
>
> By the way, when it was on and not flickering, the backlight
> was quite bright. The screen diagnostics display perfectly
> on the external screen. This seems to indicate that the
> backlight is in good condition, ie not gradually degraded
> as I've seen on other backlights that get dimmer and
> dimmer.
>
> Should I force off the plastic piece around the LCD? It
> seems quite tight even though I've removed all the screws
> per the manual. I'm afraid of damaging the LCD (which
> doesn't have one bad pixel).
>
> So, to summarize, it looks like a bad contact in the wires
> feeding the backlight. Or has someone seen these
> symptoms being caused by the backlight itself? Do
> backlights go bad in this way? I have found an old
> posting that said that pressing on different parts of the
> lid would affect the display, but this doesn't happen here.
>
> Anyway, thanks for replying. Any other ideas/suggestions?
> from anyone?
>
> A.

Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
as if any other time isn't worth noting....
Michael Rarfit
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 6:56:15 AM

Don wrote:

> I have EXACT same problem as you do. I mean EXACTLY, down to every
> little details.
>
> First I was suspecting the inverter. I got one from ebay. It was on
> for maybe 15 seconds this time, then it go dark again. I managed to
> get a 600E with bad keyboard but it turns out that the LCD backlight
> maybe bad ( pinkish at start up and then go dark again ). I am in the
> process of getting a "tested working LCD". If this still doesn't work
> then it could only be 2 things: the cable connection on the main unit
> ( I've unplug and plug the LCD end lots of times ), or the mobo
> itself. Sure hope it's not the board itself, I really love this TP.
>
> Keep me inform on your new findings.
>
> Thanks.

Dont forget the LCD lid switch... It's pretty fragile, plus it can load up with
lint/dust and stick...

TJ
Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
as if any other time isn't worth noting....
Michael Rarfit
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 7:28:16 PM

Thanks for the info. I have now disassembled the lid
per Bill Kelso's tip on another sub-thread. As the lcd
disassembly is not documented in IBM's manual, a
google search found the following:

http://personal.bellsouth.net/d/r/drseng/ThinkpadCCFL/

Lots of painstaking work, it seems. Before I possibly ruin
the LCD unit, can anyone supply a part number for the CCFL
specific to the TP 600E? I have also checked lcdparts.com
but the site seems to be geared to complete products.
Most of the sponsored links are outdated, too.

So, any specific link (at lcdparts.com or other vendor) to
the correct CCFL?

Incidentally, now that I have disassembled the lid, plugging
and unplugging the CCFL a few times has resulted in
longer periods of flickering, but it still turns off eventually.

Well, I'm making progress. Thanks to everyone for the
info so far. I'll keep everyone posted.

A.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 7:35:07 PM

Good to see that someone else is dealing with the exact
same problem. In a separate sub-thread I've given a
link to the procedure to replace the backlight. Hopefully
we can get this fixed. I have run diagnostics on all the
components of my 600E. In particular the processor board,
the RAM and the video all pass. Have you found a specific
part number for the backlight? This seems to be the item
we need to deal with. I'll post more as I know more.

A.
July 1, 2005 12:42:48 PM

I think I am going to try to replace the backlight myself as I also
googled the same link you posted a while back. The link provide a very
detailed step-by-step instruction to replace the light and the bonus
is I know I am getting a brand new light with lots of life left on it.
I already have 2 LCDs ( one from my TP and a LCD panel I got and found
out not working ). I emailed lcdparts.com and this is what I got from
Benson Hue <webmaster@lcdpart.com>:

It is $9.99 plus $13.99

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to replace my LCD backlight on my Thinkpad 600x. How much is
> the parts cost? Would you ship to Vancouver, BC Canada?

I am assuming the guy knows the right part number for my TP. I'll also
post update as I go along.

eclectic9@fast.net wrote:

>Good to see that someone else is dealing with the exact
>same problem. In a separate sub-thread I've given a
>link to the procedure to replace the backlight. Hopefully
>we can get this fixed. I have run diagnostics on all the
>components of my 600E. In particular the processor board,
>the RAM and the video all pass. Have you found a specific
>part number for the backlight? This seems to be the item
>we need to deal with. I'll post more as I know more.
>
>A.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 6, 2005 11:44:49 PM

Don wrote:
> I think I am going to try to replace the backlight myself as I also
> googled the same link you posted a while back. The link provide a very
> detailed step-by-step instruction to replace the light and the bonus
> is I know I am getting a brand new light with lots of life left on it.

Ok, I've done it. Got a backlight from lcdpart.com. For the panel I
have, LG, model LP133X3, the proper backlight is the MS20205 and it
goes vertically on the right edge of the screen.

After following the detailed instructions in that great sequence of
pictures, I got it in and now the screen is brighter than ever, and
no flickering.

Unfortunately, I broke something else. There is now a 1" wide vertical
stripe near the right edge of the screen with all the pixels on,
totally bright. At the bottom of the screen, under the white plastic
with the warnings: "Caution don't press here" there is some circuitry,
duplicated the whole width of the screen. Obviously, the un-glueing of
the many plastic layers to get the CCFL out has messed up something in
that part of the screen. I took care not to "press here", but still
something happened.

Can anyone think of a solution or have I terminally ruined the LCD
unit? No amount of pressing or plugging/unplugging the connectors makes
any difference.I would welcome any ideas to fix this, as I now have a
brand new CCFL and a bunch of bad pixels. I'd rather not get a whole
LCD assembly off ebay where the CCFL is about to go.

Failing a repair strategy, is there any place where I could find a new
LCD unit at a reasonable price? I presume IBM's price would be highly
unreasonable.

A.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 8:56:48 PM

eclectic9@fast.net wrote:

> Don wrote:
> > I think I am going to try to replace the backlight myself as I also
> > googled the same link you posted a while back. The link provide a very
> > detailed step-by-step instruction to replace the light and the bonus
> > is I know I am getting a brand new light with lots of life left on it.
>
> Ok, I've done it. Got a backlight from lcdpart.com. For the panel I
> have, LG, model LP133X3, the proper backlight is the MS20205 and it
> goes vertically on the right edge of the screen.
>
> After following the detailed instructions in that great sequence of
> pictures, I got it in and now the screen is brighter than ever, and
> no flickering.
>
> Unfortunately, I broke something else. There is now a 1" wide vertical
> stripe near the right edge of the screen with all the pixels on,
> totally bright. At the bottom of the screen, under the white plastic
> with the warnings: "Caution don't press here" there is some circuitry,
> duplicated the whole width of the screen. Obviously, the un-glueing of
> the many plastic layers to get the CCFL out has messed up something in
> that part of the screen. I took care not to "press here", but still
> something happened.
>
> Can anyone think of a solution or have I terminally ruined the LCD
> unit? No amount of pressing or plugging/unplugging the connectors makes
> any difference.I would welcome any ideas to fix this, as I now have a
> brand new CCFL and a bunch of bad pixels. I'd rather not get a whole
> LCD assembly off ebay where the CCFL is about to go.
>
> Failing a repair strategy, is there any place where I could find a new
> LCD unit at a reasonable price? I presume IBM's price would be highly
> unreasonable.
>
> A.

Don,

Ouch! Sorry, the LCD is toasted.. hope you have some jelly ;)  I've done it
once or twice, and even bought a couple laptops with that problem. Look on eBay
for a screen with a bad backlight and swap the TFT layers. I've done that on
several 770's. It isn't difficult(considering you've already had it stripped
down to replace the CCFL). I usually go with the laptop w/smashed screen for
the CCFL, but look for the laptop/bad backlight for the replacement TFT.

Bill
Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
as if any other time isn't worth noting....
Michael Rarfit
July 11, 2005 8:25:57 AM

Ok.. the LCD panel arrived couple days ago and I've successfully
replaced the panel. Now I have a nice and bright LCD!!

I would say your problem is definitely related to a bad LCD backlight.

!