Sign in with
Your question

Lag spikes every 5 seconds. Not putting up with this any longer.

Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2011 5:09:17 AM

I have lag spikes every 5 seconds when I play games (counter strike, hon, etc). I'm on a wireless internet with linksys router. It's probably because of my shitty router, so I'm going to get a new one. Now I'm wondering if getting this http://www.bigfootnetworks.com/killer-nic-m1/ will stop my lagging? Or is it useless?
a b B Homebuilt system
July 7, 2011 5:30:06 AM

How many computers connect to this router? Is the bandwidth getting squeezed?
m
l
July 7, 2011 5:30:20 AM

Getting a new router does not change the lags, how fast is it? if it's around 150KB/s than your in bad luck if you have programs like Anti-Virus program, it uses your internet so it lags... Most games used around 70KB/s but for Counter-Strike, it uses around 120KB/s since there's a lot of people playing... If your got like ComCast Cable, it's probably slow... I got ComCast Cable at 2MB/s and it's really slow sometimes and it even die for few hours sometimes, Reset or Pull Power Plug for few second than plug back in...
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2011 9:48:46 PM

The Killer nic won't do anything to help you, also please post your system specs and internet specs. Is the lag you're referring to more of a network lag? Or an FPS lag? Or a temporary lockup (mouse won't move on screen, even outside of games)? Is it predictable? Triggerable? Try running an ethernet cable and eliminating wireless as a variable.

1. You might be running out of RAM, forcing the system to use Virtual Memory
2. You might have a hard drive issue, listen for a click or strange sound during or immediately preceeding your lag.
3. It might be wireless collisions, something as simple as setting your wireless radio to a different channel might help.
m
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
July 7, 2011 11:47:00 PM

....Or VOIP can cause issues, and is getting very common. :)  So we need to know more.
m
l
!