Nvidia or ATI for 3D gaming ? Both on 3D plasma and possibly 3D Proj.

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I'm currently looking for a GPU in the $140 ish range, willing to buy used on Craigslist or Ebay. Not sure whether I should go with Nvidia or ATI. I had previously heard that Nvidia was the better option in regards to 3D gaming, especially to people with 3D plasmas, because they can use their own glasses by getting the 3DTV Play software from Nvidia (think they charge $30 or $40 for this). I know that ATI also has their 3D options, but I don't think they have anything like 3DTV Play, like Nvidia does, to make it super easy to work with the 3D plasmas that some people have. The other issue is a projector. Acer has a 3D projector that costs about $500 delivered, which is kinda ridiculous, sure... it's only 720p, but I've heard people rave about playing Batman Arkham Asylum in 3D on this projector with DLP Link glasses.

Doesn't Nvidia have the better drivers with their whole 3D thing? I thought that ATI's drivers were kinda lame? I've heard some people saying the complete opposite, and I'm wondering what solution does ATI have in comparison to 3DTV play ? Do they have something new for 3D that I haven't heard about?

These cards would be my options:

GTX 460 1 gig

or

HD 5850

Boostleak

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I have been using HD 5870 for 3D gaming and have both Tridef software and iZ3d driver. I must say that right now ATI doesn't have a very good solution for 3D gaming due to lack of support. Crossfire also only being supported with iZ3d software. I would go with Nvidia if 3d gaming is your primary focus. I'm looking to switch over myself but already took a plunge on one HD5870.

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

I wouldn't say that 3D gaming is my primary focus, but if Nvidia is still the way to go in regards to 3D, then I think I'd rather go with a GTX 460, even if it's a bit underpowered compared to a HD 5850.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I read a bit about AMD's HD3D option which you are supposed to be able to use your tv's glasses, at least for blu ray 3d but im not too sure on the 3d gaming. Nvidia has had the 3d option available for quite a bit longer so their dirvers might work better.