Sign in with
Your question

Amd 6 core vs i5 quad core

Last response: in CPUs
October 3, 2011 3:21:15 PM

Hello,
I'm trying to stream a video show on the internet live. 3 video cameras and a switching program in the same computer. Another use would be video broadcast with 1 camera, skype video feed and music videos. 6 core and I5 are around the same price but there is a big debate about AMD vs Intel. I have never personally had a problem with either. And would Ram speed play a big factor?

More about : amd core quad core

a b à CPUs
October 3, 2011 3:46:14 PM

a big role played in applications is cpu go for 2500k don't waste money on amd i swear amd is weaker than i5 2500k click on the link and yes ram is also helpful component...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2
m
l
October 3, 2011 3:48:11 PM

until further notice only buy Intel sandy bridge processors. no programs adequately use 6 cores or 8 or 12 or how ever many amd would like to put on a die. Intel wins in ram speed and efficiency per cycle. Sandy bridge is superior in almost every cat. Don't worry about going over ddr3 1600 as far as speed just get a min of 8gigs( prices are low now) get a good discrete card do not rely on hd 3000 on the chip its okay but not for what u are doing. Nvidia 550 is a great price point and very effective if not gaming.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2011 10:49:04 AM

amd always target intel but amd can't success to aim intel.
Intel sandy bridge cpu's is for everything like programming,gamming,media,3d applications etc.
Then pick out i5 2500k
m
l
a c 141 à CPUs
October 4, 2011 11:20:03 PM

what you list doesnt require alot of processing power. What you need is fast internet for your live shows and to stream your prerecorded shows you're going to need a fast HDD subsystem.

Otherwise yes, the AMD x6's need to overclock to come close to i5 performance and I'm not saying you need that many cores. Check with your software if its multithreaded but I doubt that a 6 core would be utilized fully. A 4 core, even AMD's should be plenty for what you list.
m
l
March 23, 2013 8:38:18 AM

amendoza said:
Hello,
I'm trying to stream a video show on the internet live. 3 video cameras and a switching program in the same computer. Another use would be video broadcast with 1 camera, skype video feed and music videos. 6 core and I5 are around the same price but there is a big debate about AMD vs Intel. I have never personally had a problem with either. And would Ram speed play a big factor?

Ah hum, sounds like a history lesson is needed. It's good to have a debate between AMD and Intel. In-fact without AMD you would be paying thousands for the i7 not just hundreds. I have suffered a lot at the hands of intel before AMD sucker punched them with the Athlon 64. Then came the core race, admittedly intel has the edge but is it the end all cure all? If so, wh,w,why do we need graphic cards? One thing you should know if you set up for an i7 your'll be locked there forever as they change sockets for almost every cpu, AMD was much more forgiving allowing an array of cpu choices that could be possible. To keep intel from becoming like Microsoft I personally build AMD computers, I don't game much these days, I'm only warning all... do not to give up freedom of choice.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2013 2:50:34 PM

This thread was like 2 years old.
m
l
!